Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Your opinion about Houston 1977

forum rss feed
Author

JDL2nd user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 292 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Oct 05, 16:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Now, most of us have downloaded the great Houston 1977 concert. Most of us already had the audio. Now you have seen this, share your opinion about the video with the rest of us.

My opinion :
Well, I have to say that the picture quality was better than I expected. Similar to one of the first versions of Earls Court.
I have to say that it looks cool and it was a great concert. They were onfire, especially Freddie and John. They played both very well. Roger and Brian were OK. Brian seems a little bit dissatisfied with his guitar playing here and there. The setlist is very good. I love the setlists of the ADATR and NOTW tours. The audience seems to enjoy it. You can hear them shout things like "we want more !!!!!!!!!". The audio we have is soundboard. That's great.
Is this good enough for a dvd ? My answer is NO. They didn't film very good. A lot of direction decisions seem very illogical , esspecially during the medley and in the songs where Freddie plays the piano. I think they filmed this concert with 4 cameras. Compare this video bootleg with Rainbow,Hammersmith 1975 and even Earls Court, if you look at the way how they filmed things. I think the conclusion is that this isn't the best, although this is probably the best concert of them all.

tilomagnet user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 290 posts

Posted: 27 Oct 05, 14:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, IMO it's the best Queen show that is available on video(maybe together with the Kampuchea'79 show). And I think it is indeed one of Queen's best ever performances, all NOTW shows were fantastic and Houston is no exception.

And to all those people who say it's nothing special at all:Which concert(s) would you actually consider to be that much better than Houston?

Over My Head user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 32 posts

Posted: 27 Oct 05, 14:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Out of interest if it's not good enough for DVD would those who've heard the audio say it's good enough for a live album?

« Jay » user not visiting Queenzone.com
« Jay »
Bohemian: 843 posts

Posted: 27 Oct 05, 17:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Right now I'm still downloading the video so I can't give my opinion just yet. Though I've streamed a few parts with VideoLan and it looked very good. Nice quality and the live version of Liar just rocks!

As for the audio:
I think with the original master tapes and some good equipment this could very well be something to release officially.

My Melancholy Blues user not visiting Queenzone.com
My Melancholy Blues
Royalty: 1039 posts

Posted: 28 Oct 05, 03:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JDL2nd wrote:

Now, most of us have downloaded the great Houston 1977 concert. Most of us already had the audio. Now you have seen this, share your opinion about the video with the rest of us.

My opinion :
Well, I have to say that the picture quality was better than I expected. Similar to one of the first versions of Earls Court.
I have to say that it looks cool and it was a great concert. They were onfire, especially Freddie and John. They played both very well. Roger and Brian were OK. Brian seems a little bit dissatisfied with his guitar playing here and there. The setlist is very good. I love the setlists of the ADATR and NOTW tours. The audience seems to enjoy it. You can hear them shout things like "we want more !!!!!!!!!". The audio we have is soundboard. That's great.
Is this good enough for a dvd ? My answer is NO. They didn't film very good. A lot of direction decisions seem very illogical , esspecially during the medley and in the songs where Freddie plays the piano. I think they filmed this concert with 4 cameras. Compare this video bootleg with Rainbow,Hammersmith 1975 and even Earls Court, if you look at the way how they filmed things. I think the conclusion is that this isn't the best, although this is probably the best concert of them all.

I totally agree with you.
Indeed, it's not the best filmed one, but it's one of their greatest ones ever and worth watching as well in spite of Brian's trouble in Somebody To Love and Liar...
Personally I do hope it will be released.

Je vais bien.

Estoy bien.
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18629 posts

Posted: 28 Oct 05, 23:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My Melancholy Blues wrote:

Indeed, it's not the best filmed one, but it's one of their greatest ones ever and worth wathing as well in spite of Brian's trouble in Somebody To Love and Liar...

Yeah, Brian was pretty sloppy in many places in Houston. Total contrast to Japan 76, for example.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 05, 11:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

noe of these reviews are valid without the 'bohemianrhap84' input so sadly lacking...
;-)

go deo na hÉireann
bleeding heart show user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 404 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 05, 15:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It was just OK !

that's enough about me, now, what do you think of me ?
Rompez user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 222 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 05, 16:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah. Brian won't be happy to release it. But he can always do some overdubing...

Lisser user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lisser
Deity: 4794 posts

Posted: 29 Oct 05, 22:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rompez wrote:

Yeah. Brian won't be happy to release it. But he can always do some overdubing...

Do you guys think this is a main reason why it will probably never be officially released? I'm going to assume that Brian has a huge say in what concerts get released on to DVD. I'd say there is no way he'd let a less than perfect performance of his be official. He's too much of a perfectionist. What do you all think?

Wo ist das kamerahhhhhhhhhhh!!!

NJ!!!

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 05, 05:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Houston is really not the best footage around. I mean, only a few camera's and the quality isn't that great. But it's nice footage overall, because not many NOTW gigs were filmed!

Earls Court is also strangly filmed (I really hope the second night is better!), but the quality is amazing (watch Magic Years). Also the second night contains 31 songs, I believe, a hell of a setlist, so I hope it makes it into a DVD-release.

I've heard they are working on Paris '79, I believe the second night. I never seen footage of that, but I know it is completely filmed.

Hammy '79 is not in the hands of QP, I believe, but that is also a very good show, ah well, we'll see!

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 05, 06:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There has been talk again about a multiple cd-set of the 1979 tour.

Going Back user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 483 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 05, 06:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Houston was amazing concert, deffenetly one of their best ones, but i think (i like) queen 25.11.1981 live in Montreal is their best one. (just my option)

Tyfoon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 185 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 05, 10:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I cant find it anywhere could some post the link where i can download it then i will give my opinion! thank you.

Knute user not visiting Queenzone.com
Knute
Bohemian: 807 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 05, 20:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've seen half of it thus far.

And my opinion of it?

Fucking brilliant!

I saw this tour a week later in Long Beach, CA, but I was a little kid and and there's no way I could've appreciate it like I do now.

Wow!
This is also the first 70's Queen concert I've seen on film.

It emphasizes another thing that Queen were, and that's a fantastic live band that put a lot of effort into making it a great show and it shows!..lol
Every tune is a highlight so far!
Freddie is fantastic, No one could ever touch Freddie as far as THE lead singer of Queen.

John is awesome as well.

And as an aside, it's funny cos this makes what I saw in Hollywood last Saturday even more special.

Q+PR never set out to best the legendary band on this video. They couldn't really.
They just paid the ultimate compliment to Queen by making the material live again without mocking what they were. A very difficult thing to pull off in light of the cicumstances.

My Melancholy Blues user not visiting Queenzone.com
My Melancholy Blues
Royalty: 1039 posts

Posted: 30 Oct 05, 22:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yeah it's brilliant!
Recently I've been getting into it.
The more I see it, surer I am that this is awesome especially Freddie...

Je vais bien.

Estoy bien.
Daveboy35 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 619 posts

Posted: 31 Oct 05, 04:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

After watching the concert all the way through i have come to this conclusion it's very good it's the first NOTW tour i've seen and heard and it's sounds great.

Nice extension to the medley "get down make love" is just fabulous in my opinion Brian's harmonizing effects sound stunning and unique,bit of a dodgy gig for him guitar wise sound problems and all, but the band very much in control obviously giving 100% to the cause all 4 on good form.

Guitar solo i found different and unique in delivery especially with the rock n roll type solo i ilke the solo's so this one was great to hear.

Roger taylor had a great night didn't put a foot wrong and john deacon what can i say does he make a mistake that man?, it's just great to finally see what was becoming the elusive concert we would never see.

Yes we'll keep on tryin

we'll tread that fine line

oh oh we'll keep on tryin

till the end of time

till the end of time.

jabbo5150 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 160 posts

Posted: 18 Nov 05, 23:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Great show. Great vocals from Freddie, though my favorite versions of Somebody To Love remaind the ones from the Live Killers through 82 period when he really pushed the high notes.

carboengine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1283 posts

Posted: 17 Jan 06, 19:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't understand the bittorrent thing, but I did just buy this off of eBay. This is the first time I saw Freddie put ON clothes rather than take them off. (Black Harlequin leotard, then black belt and black leather jacket added.) Melancholy Blues - silky, beautiful. I'm In Love With My Car - the piano in it is stunning. I had only heard that song mostly with drums and guitars. Stone Cold Crazy - geez, always dynamite. I had seen photos of Freddie in his shiny silver leotard, but not video. Wow! And Jailhouse Rock at the end of the show - who would have thunk it - it is most certainly a revved up version compared to the sedate renditions in later concerts.

Yes, it was a worthwhile experience.
Indo77 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 155 posts

Posted: 18 Jan 06, 05:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Houston is far superior than any of the 80s concerts or Earl's Court. The concert is a reminder of what a great rock band Queen were in the 70s. Earl's Court would be a good show if the camera man actually shot what he was suppose to. It's a great setlist but some of the worst camera angles I have ever seen.