Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > why did Freddie sing instead of Brian live?

forum rss feed
Author

killer queen11 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 49 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Oct 05, 12:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't know if this has been discussed, but on songs that Brian normally had singing parts in on the studio versions (such as '39 and the beginning of Who Wants To Live Forever) why did Freddie sing Brian's part when they performed the songs live? I've always liked Brian's voice and I wish he would have got to sing more live.


stone cold crazy, 'ya know
inthelapofthegods user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 271 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Oct 05, 13:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't know for sure, but I think I remember hearing the the guys thought that since Freddie had such a strong voice, he should take most of the lead vocals. I remember hearing that Brian agreed because he always thought his voice was too weak live.

I am probably wrong, so be gentle...
But I just seem to remember this.


don't i know you from the cinematographer's party?



who am i to blow against the wind?
PainPleasure user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 650 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Oct 05, 14:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, it would have been great to hear Brian sing '39...it was his song after all...

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Oct 05, 14:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PainPleasure wrote:

Yeah, it would have been great to hear Brian sing '39...it was his song after all...


And? He sung it on his solo shows, on the gigs from the current tour... :)

I love this about Queen fans "I'd like to listen Freddie's singing I'm In Love With My Car!" and then Freddie sings '39, Modern Times Rock'n'Roll, Rock It - they says "WTF? We wanna Brian and Roger sings their songs!" ;)

Music Man user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2346 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Oct 05, 14:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Because if Brian sang his songs, then what would Freddie do? Prance around the stage? That's silly.


Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
My Melancholy Blues user not visiting Queenzone.com
My Melancholy Blues
Royalty: 1039 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Oct 05, 15:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Because Freddie was always very good at letting the audience get into their songs and letting them sing altogether as well...


Je vais bien.

Estoy bien.
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Oct 05, 15:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I believe Roger did sang Modern Times Rock'n'Roll in the early years (1973/begin 1974), although there is no bootleg who proofs that.


John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

pcgenius9 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 937 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Oct 05, 16:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Its incredibly difficult to play an instrument well and sing at the same time.


Dislocate your spine...
chewing gum bum user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 134 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Oct 05, 17:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why? Well, I heard a rumor that Freddie Mercury was Queen's lead singer. But it was just a rumor.

its_a_hard_life user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 949 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Oct 05, 19:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

chewing gum bum wrote:

Why? Well, I heard a rumor that Freddie Mercury was Queen's lead singer. But it was just a rumor.


Lol, same :P


"I'm a greedy bitch" - Freddie Mercury

REST IN PEACE FREDDIE MERCURY!!
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Oct 05, 20:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just a decision they made, which not all of us agree with.

> I've always liked Brian's voice and I wish he would have got to sing more live.

Otoh Brian sang some of Fred's parts live, like in the middle of One Vision and the harmony in "real" (Break Free).

> I remember hearing that Brian agreed because he always thought his voice was too weak live.

Dunno if he actually thought that, but indeed he was out of pitch a lot on stage, at least in the 70s, in the 80s not so much because his mic was almost off ;)

> Yeah, it would have been great to hear Brian sing '39...it was his song after all...

You can play the album for that purpose

> I love this about Queen fans "I'd like to listen Freddie's singing I'm In Love With My Car!"

So would I, but all in all I think that I'd prefer if Queen were band of three lead singers, with Brian and Roger taking most of the leads in their own tracks and probably some cross-overs (like Roger singing Doin' All Right or Brian doing Love Of My Life live)

> then what would Freddie do?

In 'Forever', he could take the keyboard part or just wait his turn. In '39 he could do harmonies (like Axl Rose in Dust N' Bones). In Rock It he could play monopoly with the roadies.

> Prance around the stage? That's silly.

He could just be absent in that number, just in the same way Brian wasn't present in Melancholy Blues or Roger+John in Love Of My Life and Is This The World.

> I believe Roger did sang Modern Times Rock'n'Roll in the early years (1973/begin 1974), although there is no bootleg who proofs that.

At least in 1970 and early '71 he didn't. Perhaps as you say he did in '73-'74 but there's no way to confirm or deny that.

> Its incredibly difficult to play an instrument well and sing at the same time.

Not at all. Look at the songs with piano parts (Don't Stop Me and many more), or the loads of singers who play an instrument at the same time: Brian May (in his solo tours), David Gilmour, Eric Clapton, Dave Grohl, Mustaine, etc.


John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
killer queen11 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 49 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Oct 05, 22:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

chewing gum bum wrote:

Why? Well, I heard a rumor that Freddie Mercury was Queen's lead singer. But it was just a rumor.


I never said I expected Brian to take over as lead singer, I was just curious as to why he sings some songs on the albums but Freddie did those songs when they were live. There's no need to be smart about it. :-)


stone cold crazy, 'ya know
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Oct 05, 08:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't know why but I'm sure that they have tried on rehearsals to play songs with Brian on lead vocals, but it didn't work, so Freddie did his job.

Need to ask Brian about this...

Bobby_brown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2300 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Oct 05, 10:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think that Brian`s voice during the seventies was sweet but not strong enough for singing live. On the other way, Roger is irreplacable singing his own songs because he makes such an impression in his songs that whether you like it or not you just can`t imagine someone else singing ILWMC, and he has a very strong voice live.

Take care

KEVPAR user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 701 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Oct 05, 10:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Because when in the studio, Brian didnt have to sing AND play the guitar at the same time
live however Brian is giving 100% concentration to playing.


Kev x


"It's just a ride" - Bill Hicks
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Oct 05, 10:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Didn't they rehearse 'Long Away' with Freddie on vocals for the 1977 tour? As interesting as that would have been, I would've much rather've had it with Brian on vocals if they'd done it live.

chewing gum bum user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 134 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Oct 05, 11:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I never heard about Long Away but Sleeping on the Sidewalk was apparently played once during the early part of the "News" tour. Would have loved to hear Freddie do that one.