Forums > Queen + Adam Lambert > Queen + PR DVD speacial features

forum rss feed
Author

jona1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 130 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Nov 05, 10:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Whats the verdict on this bare dvd release. Don't get me wrong the concert is very good. but what has happened to all the speacial features that was said to be coming with it. Back stage footage, rehersal footage. interviews etc. the only thing extra is is the track from hyde park. was very dissapointed when i got it and noticed it was a one disc dvd with just the concert.

Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 01 Nov 05, 11:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm personally very, VERY disappointed...

Benn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1332 posts

Posted: 01 Nov 05, 12:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fenderek,

Well, unfortunately, I'm not surprised. I haven't bought either the official CD or DVD on the basis that two shows and the majority of the QOL downloads was more than enough of the same old material where *these* ears are concerned.

Maybe there was a problem in certain parties allowing any backstage / rehearsal footage to be used?

Maybe there's a separate tour documentary planned for another DVD release down the line (after all, why not release 2 DVD's and take the cash???????)?

I didn;t think that the show warranted a DVD release as there was nothign in the show that warranted it being captured forever - the shows, for me, were something of the time - nothing more.

Benn
Ray D O'Gaga user not visiting Queenzone.com
Get down, make love
Ray D O'Gaga
Royalty: 1259 posts

Posted: 01 Nov 05, 12:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Its the best looking concert Queen/+/-/whatever have ever released, and a great performance to boot. I'd prefer it be laden with extras, but I'd still be buying it for the underlying product - that being the concert and the music. So in that regard, its money well spent either way as far as I'm concerned.

Blow it out your ass.
Daz85 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1802 posts

Posted: 01 Nov 05, 16:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's the best looking and sounding Queen DVD out there, and the performance is excellent. There was talk by the Admin over at QO.com that there is the possibility of a 'Tour' package later on, with things like Hyde Park, a US and Japan show with the extras that were filmed before for Sheffield.

AlexRocks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1358 posts

Posted: 01 Nov 05, 16:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sounds like a live box set to me. That would be phenomenal. In my opinion that and they should wait until the blu-ray discs are out. This way you could have all of that on one disc AND still use that single discs for just the 2.0 option to just listen to the music. It will be really exciting in the next few years for the music world and film world...check out www.blu-ray.com

AmeriQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1072 posts

Posted: 01 Nov 05, 23:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, first off, when you are touring like they are, you don't have time to oversee a major project much, unless you put into the hands of others, which is not their style. They are very, hands on. They rushed this release out, so there just wasn't the time.

Second, it will happen. I read some guy talking about the dvd compared to the show, uncut. They took Under Pressure off. That being said, in about a year or so, you will likely see a special edition that includes lots of extras, and the show with 'Under Pressure' back in, just like they did with the Montreal dvd in putting 'Jailhouse Rock' back in.

[ Wybren™ ] user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 650 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 05, 05:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

AmeriQueen wrote:

Well, first off, when you are touring like they are, you don't have time to oversee a major project much, unless you put into the hands of others, which is not their style. They are very, hands on. They rushed this release out, so there just wasn't the time.

Second, it will happen. I read some guy talking about the dvd compared to the show, uncut. They took Under Pressure off. That being said, in about a year or so, you will likely see a special edition that includes lots of extras, and the show with 'Under Pressure' back in, just like they did with the Montreal dvd in putting 'Jailhouse Rock' back in.

They didn't have anything to do with Montreal. A good example is Wembley: first an one hour edit on VHS then in 2003 they released the full show on DVD.

I'm really pissed if they're going to re-release ROTC. I want that bonus disc but I already got the main show -intros -UP with wrong view when the curtains fall.

[ Ahoy' Rotterdam, April 26th ]|[ Rhein Energie Stadion Köln, Juli 6th ]|[ Gelredome Arnhem, July 10th ]
YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 05, 05:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is the first time a Queen related DVD came out and I am not interested. I watched the promo DVD that came with the US release of the CD and I have to say I am not impressed at all.

The best looking DVD? From what I saw it's more like: we have 16 cameras, let's use them all at the same time. My eyes hurt from looking right into the bright light all the time and not seing anything else. When the cameras are not aimed at the stage light killing all image, we see the audience, Roger's back, a crane swinging across the audience and close ups from the Red Special. Not enjoyable at all. Plus none of the promised extra material, what a disappointment.

Sure the picture quality is better than - let's say Wembley. But It's no fun. And I was there and I did have fun.

I do not want any google ads here.

Daz85 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1802 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 05, 07:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YV > I haven't seen the promo DVD so I can't comment there, but the full concert is fantastic. It's brilliantly shot and presented, the sound mix is excellent and the visuals are supurb. I really recommend it - the editing was very well done IMO. Just how a concert DVD should be presented.

GreatKingSam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 670 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 05, 08:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I do agree with YV in part. I dont think it ruins the whole DVD in any way, just in some parts it does seem that aces they do over use the cameras. Sometimes, it works really well, especially in the drum solo with the split screen view, and for flying across etc. However, that said, I do think it is a well produced concert, despite the odd cut and studio "correction".

If it was a crap show, it wouldnt matter there were no extras, but it isnt a crap show, its a great show, and it just makes the DVD seem all the more empty.

Then again, we all wanted a tour, we got a tour. We all wanted a CD and DVD, we got them too. We shouldn't really complain. All this has happened in little under year. Not too shabby...

Mr. Scully user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4257 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 05, 08:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have bought the DVD but - I'd really like to know what fucking idiot is responsible for the poor content of this DVD!!!

I don't care about Sheffield itself - it was the coldest audience EVER but that happens. Queen could have hardly expected that. Musically it's also pretty good. But the lack of extras is VERY disappointing for me. For the first time Queen have recorded everything, from rehearsals to backstage footage and interviews with fans. And all of that is now hidden in the archives... :-(

YourValentine

Posted: 02 Nov 05, 08:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Then again, we all wanted a tour, we got a tour. We all wanted a CD and DVD, we got them too. We shouldn't really complain. All this has happened in little under year. Not too shabby"

But the tour did not happen because we wanted it:) It happened because Brian and Roger wanted it. And I was the first to be happy about it and I supported it. I did not want a CD that much but I wanted the DVD very much. I am totally disappointed that the additional material is missing. One can say that a concert alone is worth the purchase but this material was filmed, it does exist and it was held back for no reason - again. Darren says it's a well produced DVD but if it's not any different than the promo material (which was taken from the DVD and is not some extra material) I disagree. I am not buying it this time.

We wanted more DVD-Audios, did we get them? We wanted an ANATO anniversary package with some unreleased archive material, do we get it? No, we get the same old DVD mix but we get Brian playing the toy Koto, Brian performing on the Buckingham Palace and more Brian performing '39 in Sheffield. I am not buying it, sorry.

Whatinthewhatthe? user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2210 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 05, 08:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The audience did look rather, uhh, bored...didn't they? The "bonus" track (Imagine) was more inspired and the crowd was a lot more responsive.
The cameras drove my eyes crazy too. Some good camera angles in variety are fine, but all that cutting and shifting about was a bit much.

Get down, make love
Ray D O'Gaga

Posted: 02 Nov 05, 08:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YourValentine wrote:

This is the first time a Queen related DVD came out and I am not interested. I watched the promo DVD that came with the US release of the CD and I have to say I am not impressed at all.

If you haven't watched it, then you don't really know what you're complaining about. You're basing your criticism of the whole two hour show based on ten minutes that may or may not be representative of how the final edit is presented on the disc. At least have the courtesy to watch it before you write it off as a waste of a DVD.

Blow it out your ass.
Get down, make love
Ray D O'Gaga

Posted: 02 Nov 05, 08:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GreatKingSam wrote:

I do agree with YV in part. I dont think it ruins the whole DVD in any way, just in some parts it does seem that aces they do over use the cameras. Sometimes, it works really well, especially in the drum solo with the split screen view, and for flying across etc. However, that said, I do think it is a well produced concert, despite the odd cut and studio "correction".

According to Justin Shirley-Smith, there were no studio "corrections". The very few bits that were changed from the Sheffield gig were replaced with live material from other shows on the tour. Nothing was overdubbed in the studio.

Blow it out your ass.
PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 05, 08:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think the ROTC is great. It does suck however that there are no bonus features other than Imagine. Makes me think that they will be releasing some other DVD from this tour.

YourValentine

Posted: 02 Nov 05, 08:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ray D'Oh Gaga, if you don't mind I base my criticism on what I find appropriate. You have a right to your opinion and I have a right to mine. Surely, I am not buying a product that has less content than was originally promised only to "earn" a right to voice my opinion. I know from friends who own both promo and full DVD that the content is identical and it's enough for me not to pay more money to see more of this.

Bobby_brown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2300 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 05, 09:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YourValentine wrote:

Ray D'Oh Gaga, if you don't mind I base my criticism on what I find appropriate. You have a right to your opinion and I have a right to mine. Surely, I am not buying a product that has less content than was originally promised only to "earn" a right to voice my opinion. I know from friends who own both promo and full DVD that the content is identical and it's enough for me not to pay more money to see more of this.

If you don`t buy the product for what it is (a Live concert) you`re missing the point of it!
I think nowadays people are guiving more importance to the extras than to primary product.

One thing i`m shure, if they didn`t put out any extras they must have a good reason for that!!

Probably next time they release a DVD only with extras for the real fans, and then even those fans wouldn`t buy it because they want a real gig, you just can`t please everyone!!

If you think carefully, you realise that the extras for the other Queen DVD`s were an obvious choise because they were re-releases, so they would have to put on something new for the people that who already got the VHS would buy the DVD.

Take care

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 05, 09:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

AlexRocks wrote:

Sounds like a live box set to me. That would be phenomenal. In my opinion that and they should wait until the blu-ray discs are out. This way you could have all of that on one disc AND still use that single discs for just the 2.0 option to just listen to the music. It will be really exciting in the next few years for the music world and film world...check out www.blu-ray.com

That's what I've been saying all along! (Or at least implying)
:D