Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Ultimate Collection: 1980 (Part 1: The Game)

forum rss feed
Author

John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Nov 05, 11:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ultimate Collection: 1980 (Part 1: The Game)

Exactly as it says in the title.
I apologise for any careless omissions or errors in advance, (I have proof-read but I have been restricted to one-handed work only). Please feel free to contribute and to push the boundaries forwards. (Also, if used/reproduced elsewhere - an acknowledgement would be courteous)

Foreword: Perhaps one of the most difficult sessions to recreate, as so many rumors of unreleased material surrounded the recording. The fact that the master tape has since been lost or stolen, has only fuelled the mythologies. Here I have dealt in absolute facts, and will leave the anecdotes for open discussion. Certainly, left over Roger Taylor ideas/tracks ended up on “Fun In Space”, and the 1991 Brian May/Queen release “Lost Opportunity” (CDS Version I'm Going Slightly Mad CDS: Queen 17) is also supposed to stem from this session. (Finally, YES: Play The Game – Andy Gibb version DOES exist!)

The Ultimate Collection: 1980 (Part 2: Flash and Beyond), will soon follow

Queen: The Game

UK CD - EMI CDP 7 46213 2
Recorded: Musicland Studios, June/July 1979 and February to May 1980
Released: UK 30th June 1980, US 30th June 1980
Produced by Queen and Mack
Engineered by Mack
Cover Concept by Queen
This album includes the first appearance of a Synthesizer (an Oberheim OBX) on a Queen album.

Play The Game
Album Version - Game: EMI CDP 7 46213 2
Karaoke Instrumental - Japan Toshiba EMI TOLW - 3249.50
2003 DVD Audio 5.1 Surround Version(s) - EMI 592 7809
Andy Gibb/Freddie Duet - Unreleased
Promotional Video (Original 4x3 TV Ratio) - Greatest Flix I & II: Pioneer PLMPD 01171
Promotional Video (Widescreen) - Greatest Video Hits: Parlophone 7243 4 92944 9 3

Dragon Attack
Rough Demo Percussion Mix - Unreleased: Home Mini-Disc
1991 RAK & Jack Benson Remix - Game: US 1991 Hollywood HR-61063-2
1991 Dragon's Return 7:10 Remix - In Memories Of Freddie Mercury: RM-CD 01
1998 eYe Full Instrumental - Electronic Arts DDE05501 101S
Starlicks Video Edit - Starlicks Video

Another One Bites The Dust
Percussion Version - Home Mini-Disc
1980 US 12” Flower Power Segued Disco Mix - Happy Margo AP 001
1986 Dakeyne Disco Club Remix 5:35 - Dakeyne DMC 43/42 August 1986 Mixes
1992 US Dave Ogilvie Promo Alternative Mix - Freakshow: US 1992 Hollywood PRCD 10190-2
1992 US CD Long-Dusted B-Boy 10:37 - Hollywood Basic Beats Sampler HB-61286-2
1999 US DJ 12” Les Massengale Ultimix 6:28 - Home Mini-Disc
2000 KLM Club Mix 9:56 - Home Mini-Disc
2000 KLM Bootleg Dub Mix 8:42 - Home Mini-Disc
2000 KLM Bootleg Vocal Mix 9.57 - Home Mini-Disc
2000 KLM Bootleg House Mix 9.41 - Home Mini-Disc
2001 Planet Perfecto (Original Mix) - Perfecto Summer Sampler Vinyl
2001 Planet Perfecto (Extended Vocal Mix) - Meet Techno Crew 2001
2001 Planet Perfecto (Radio Edit) - Home Mini-Disc
2003 Instrumental Version - Home Mini-Disc
US DJ 12" Queen Bee Mix 4:02 - Dead Wax
US CD Metromix DJ Remix - Home Mini-Disc
2000 Bootleg Vocal Mix - Wanted
Super Sound Mix - Wanted
Party Mix - Wanted
Promotional Video (Original 4x3 TV Ratio) - Greatest Flix I & II: Pioneer PLMPD 01171
Promotional Video (Widescreen) - Greatest Video Hits: Parlophone 7243 4 92944 9 3
Legs & Co Top Of The Pops BBC TV: 25 Sept 1980 - Unreleased: Home Video

Need Your Loving Tonight

Crazy Little Thing Called Love
Guitar Solo - Guita

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
Lord Fickle user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1421 posts

Posted: 01 Nov 05, 12:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John S Stuart wrote:

Rock It
Mack 2000: Roger Taylor wanted to Sing Rock It, While Mack and Brian suggested Freddie should do it. Both versions were recorded, John voted for Roger, Brian voted for Freddie, so they decided to put Freddie in the intro and Roger on the remainder of the track.

That would be sooo cool to hear Freddie singing the full version. I have it live from somewhere or other, and he sings it brilliantly!

Remember to deliver with the speed of light

A little bit of love and joy
Chaka user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 143 posts

Posted: 01 Nov 05, 12:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Is "Sandbox" actually related to "Coming Soon"?

according to queenpicturehall.com:
"It was however never used for a released track and was shelved to be never used again."

I took that to mean it was a stand-alone piece, although, not having heard it myself, I couldn't verify this one way or the other.

goodco user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 371 posts

Posted: 01 Nov 05, 12:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Is that the little snippet that appears in 'No Violins'?

btw, John, when are you going to get some backing so that you could put out a book that would proudly stand alongside the fine work that Mark Lewisohn and Mark Spizer have done with The Beatles?

kudos, sir

"Ladies and gentlemen... I guess that takes in most of you..." Groucho Marx, 'A Night at the Opera'

John S Stuart

Posted: 01 Nov 05, 13:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

goodco wrote:

Is that the little snippet that appears in 'No Violins'?

btw, John, when are you going to get some backing so that you could put out a book that would proudly stand alongside the fine work that Mark Lewisohn and Mark Spizer have done with The Beatles?

kudos, sir

Thank you for your kind thoughts.

Never thought about the "No Violin" snippet before, I guess I need to go back and listen!

I would love to write a book in the style of Mark Lewisohn, but, unfortunately, I have no access to the archives. However, I guess I few requests to Queen Productions Ltd, couldn't hurt!!!

John S Stuart

Posted: 01 Nov 05, 14:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To Serry: 1001 apologies.

I stupidly forgot to add...

"It's A Beautiful Day
1995 Album Version - Made In Heaven: Parlophone CDPCSD 167
1998 eYe 1:34 Instrumental - Electronic Arts DDE05501 101S
CD Single Mix 3:58 - Heaven For Everyone CDS: CDQUEENS 21
1980 The Game: Demo Version - Unreleased: Wanted"

+ the 2005 remix by Ross Robertson and Sergey Tarakanov (DJ Koma), now officially available on ROTC DVD.

Will you EVER be able to forgive moi?

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 01 Nov 05, 15:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If I'd be Tarakanov - no, but I'm other Sergey - so that's okay :)

P.S. A capella version of PTG was not for UC, more for fun.

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 01 Nov 05, 15:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is like Christmas morning.

I realize you said that you're dealing with absolutes and not mythologies, but I'm fairly sure that 'Magic Is Loose' was recorded by Queen for The Game, and maybe even 'No Violins' (but, judging by its similarity to 'Rock It (Prime Jive)', its omission from the album was understandable).

John also mentioned that 'Lost Opportunity' may have been started during these sessions, and while I'm not disputing that, it's also very likely that it remained unfinished until the Innuendo sessions when Brian dusted it off and the band re-recorded it. The proof that the 1980 version is not the released version stems from the production credits: Produced by Queen / David Richards. The production also sounds more akin to Innuendo than the stripped back sound on The Game, but maybe the germ of the idea was started and then put away.

Also, wasn't 'Soul Brother' recorded during these sessions?

Mercuryworks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 757 posts

Posted: 01 Nov 05, 16:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Alright John s Stuart's 80 UC Thanks. Beautiful as always

<blank>
John S Stuart

Posted: 01 Nov 05, 17:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester Burnham wrote:

This is like Christmas morning.

...but I'm fairly sure that 'Magic Is Loose' was recorded by Queen for The Game... Also, wasn't 'Soul Brother' recorded during these sessions?

Thanks for the praise, but personally, I think I would prefer Christmas morning!!! ;-)

"Magic Is Loose": Yes - I have heard this too. To be fair, it is no great surprise, as there was only a few months between "The Game" (Released: 30th June 1980) and Roger's solo LP "Fun In Space" (Released: 6 April 1981).

Nevertheless, no matter how much I would like to add this to the list, is there any REAL evidence other than anecdotal?

"Soul Brother" I will add to "Hot Space" as the b-side to "Under Pressure", but here's some fuel to add to the debate.

"Soul Brother" was written as both a spoof and a pastiche of earlier Queen tracks. Therefore we find references (amongst others) to "my best friend", "my champion", "he will rock you", "keep yourself alive", and "somebody He can love".

So why include a line like "When you're under pressure feeling under pressure", BEFORE the track "Under Pressure" was written? Surely this would place it more in the "Hot Space" camp than "The Game"?

John S Stuart

Posted: 01 Nov 05, 18:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry...<h6>The Negative QZer wrote:

If I'd be Tarakanov - no, but I'm other Sergey - so that's okay :)

P.S. A capella version of PTG was not for UC, more for fun.

Oh well, I got my Sergey's mixed-up, an easy mistake to make!

The A capella version of "Play The Game" certainly is a bit of fun, and nice to have. I think most readers will know that this track comes from the centre channel of the DVD Audio, (as does many other remixes), so hopefully the reference:

should cover all of these.

Posted: 01 Nov 05, 18:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John S Stuart wrote:

Thanks for the praise, but personally, I think I would prefer Christmas morning!!! ;-)

"Magic Is Loose": Yes - I have heard this too. To be fair, it is no great surprise, as there was only a few months between "The Game" (Released: 30th June 1980) and Roger's solo LP "Fun In Space" (Released: 6 April 1981).

Nevertheless, no matter how much I would like to add this to the list, is there any REAL evidence other than anecdotal?

"Soul Brother" I will add to "Hot Space" as the b-side to "Under Pressure", but here's some fuel to add to the debate.

"Soul Brother" was written as both a spoof and a pastiche of earlier Queen tracks. Therefore we find references (amongst others) to "my best friend", "my champion", "he will rock you", "keep yourself alive", and "somebody He can love".

So why include a line like "When you're under pressure feeling under pressure", BEFORE the track "Under Pressure" was written? Surely this would place it more in the "Hot Space" camp than "The Game"?

That is a good point, and one which I've thought about. The only thing I can think of is that maybe, as a backing track, the song was recorded during sessions for The Game, and maybe even with a guide vocal. Then, when it was decided to use the song as the B-side of 'Under Pressure', Freddie re-recorded his vocal to include that little reference.

I've read in many books that 'Soul Brother' was recorded during The Game sessions, so I suppose this is what I came to believe - plus, the production sounds more akin to The Game than it does to Hot Space. I would love for any kind of evidence to support either side, but the argument above is the most logical I can think of, even if it's not the most practical.

John S Stuart

Posted: 01 Nov 05, 18:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester Burnham wrote:

John S Stuart wrote:

"Soul Brother" was written as both a spoof and a pastiche of earlier Queen tracks... So why include a line like "When you're under pressure feeling under pressure", BEFORE the track "Under Pressure" was written? Surely this would place it more in the "Hot Space" camp than "The Game"?

I've read in many books that 'Soul Brother' was recorded during The Game sessions, so I suppose this is what I came to believe - plus, the production sounds more akin to The Game than it does to Hot Space.

Again, being fair, I have read the same books, and they all seem to trot out this "The Game" mantra, but, when you look closer, they don't ever supply references or supporting evidences of any kind.

Being honest, (and a bit of a coward) I copped out! I only include "Soul Brother" as the "Under Pressure" b-side - because I honestly don't know where it fits in between the two albums - but no one can ever argue with it's b-side status.

But for me, the main event has to be, did Roger record "Magic Is Loose" for "The Game", and does a Queen demo version actually exist.

Oh those vicious rumours!

Posted: 01 Nov 05, 20:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John S Stuart wrote:

Again, being fair, I have read the same books, and they all seem to trot out this "The Game" mantra, but, when you look closer, they don't ever supply references or supporting evidences of any kind.

Being honest, (and a bit of a coward) I copped out! I only include "Soul Brother" as the "Under Pressure" b-side - because I honestly don't know where it fits in between the two albums - but no one can ever argue with it's b-side status.

But for me, the main event has to be, did Roger record "Magic Is Loose" for "The Game", and does a Queen demo version actually exist.

Oh those vicious rumours!

Personally, I would've included 'Soul Brother' in the Hot Space section, as well, because there is one certainty - it was released as the B-side of 'Under Pressure', which is classified as a Hot Space track - and one oft-repeated myth - that it was recorded during sessions for The Game. It MAY have been recorded during The Game, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was, but it may ALSO have been recorded during the preliminary Hot Space sessions in the summer of 1981.

The only person who would know for sure, as well as the information regarding 'Magic Is Loose' - our dear archivist friend - wouldn't tell us so as not to compromise any surprises the fictional box sets possess. Because yes, Queen fans wouldn't buy that box set knowing that 'Magic Is Loose' and 'Soul Brother' were recorded during sessions for The Game. Personally, that would just about ruin it for me, too.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6328 posts

Posted: 01 Nov 05, 20:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

> So why include a line like "When you're under pressure feeling under pressure", BEFORE the track "Under Pressure" was written?

Because it MIGHT not be a direct reference to Under Pressure. How many songs are titled "he won't let you down", "the man with the most", "how does he do it" and so on?

Brian sort of stated in his soapbox that it was from The Game sessions. He could of course be wrong as when he said Master Stroke had been at Wessex Studios or when he said he'd played koto in Teo, but the point is that the fact "under pressure" is mentioned in the lyrics doesn't neccesarily imply they were paying tribute to "their" Under Pressure, it could have easily been a coincidence (or is Dragon Attack a reference to Back Chat?)

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
John S Stuart

Posted: 01 Nov 05, 20:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

>

Because it MIGHT not be a direct reference to Under Pressure. How many songs are titled "he won't let you down", "the man with the most", "how does he do it" and so on?

Seb: I agree with you, BUT, it MIGHT also BE a direct reference to their "Under Pressure". That is why I specifically wrote:

"...I copped out! I only include "Soul Brother" as the "Under Pressure" b-side - because I honestly don't know where it fits in between the two albums..."

As Lester said: The only person who would know for sure... wouldn't tell us... not to compromise any surprises the fictional box sets possess." (That and answering inane questions on Freddie's sexuality seems to be our limits).

In the meantime, in the absence of more solid evidence, all I can do (like your good-self) and everyone else who reads this thread) is speculate.

John S Stuart

Posted: 01 Nov 05, 20:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

> So why include a line like "When you're under pressure feeling under pressure", BEFORE the track "Under Pressure" was written?

Seb: Remember I AGREE with you, but let's look at the lyrics.

God bless my soul here he comes now
The man with the most how does he do it?
Sure he's got style he's so heavy
He's a trip can do anything
Anything anything
He's my soul brother

He's my best friend he's my champion
And he will rock you rock you rock you
Because he's the saviour of the universe
He can make you keep yourself alive
Make yourself alive
Oooh brother because he's somebody somebody
He can love
He's my soul brother

When you're under pressure feeling under pressure
Yeah pressure yeah pressure
He won't let you down
When you're under pressure
Oh feeling under pressure yeah pressure
So he won't let you down
My brother won't let you down
He won't he won't he won't let you down
He can do anything anything anything
He's my soul brother

Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah
Oooh soul brother anything (soul brother)
Anything (soul brother) anything (soul brother)
He's my soul brother brother brother brother brother
Anything (soul brother) anything (soul brother) anything (soul brother)
He's my soul brother

Soul brother he can do anything
He can do anything
Because he's my soul brother

How many Queen songs (and references to songs) can you find? The more you find, the more likely it seems that the phrase "under pressure" IS a direct reference to THEIR "Under Pressure".

God bless my soul = God Save The Queen/Jesus?

The man with the most = Man From Manhattan/Leroy Brown?

Sure he's got style he's so heavy = Leroy Brown

He's my best friend he's my champion = Your My Best Friend + We Are The Champions.

And he will rock you rock you rock you = We Will Rock You.

Because he's the saviour of the universe = Flash Gordon.

He can make you keep yourself alive = Keep Yourself Alive.

Oooh brother because he's somebody somebody He can love = Somebody To Love.

So if the exercise is to fit as many Queen songs into the track as possible, "Under Pressure" HAD to be previously written!

But this is SPECULATION only - as the truth is I just DON'T KNOW!

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6328 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 05, 06:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes of course, very probably you're right, all I meant is that it wasn't an absolute "truth" whatsoever. But, for what it's worth, I too think it's an '81 track instead of '80, which would indeed prove that Dr Wig's not always right.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
John S Stuart

Posted: 02 Nov 05, 10:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

Yes of course, very probably you're right, all I meant is that it wasn't an absolute "truth" whatsoever. But, for what it's worth, I too think it's an '81 track instead of '80, which would indeed prove that Dr Wig's not always right.

Something else I have just read Seb:

Because he's the saviour of the universe = Flash Gordon.

So this song "Soul Brother" references BOTH "Flash Gordon" and "Under Pressure", (both released AFTER "The Game"), surely this is too much of a coincidence?

However, this is still SPECULATION as I am not sure when it was recorded to be honest, and you are as correct in your assumptions, as I am in mine.

goodco user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 371 posts

Posted: 02 Nov 05, 13:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

re: The 'Sandbox' and 'Coming Soon' tie ins.

I erroneously made reference to some of it possibly appearing in 'No Violins'. I should have stated 'Good Times Are Now'. My mistake.

"Ladies and gentlemen... I guess that takes in most of you..." Groucho Marx, 'A Night at the Opera'