Forums > Queen - General Discussion > UP at Sheffield

forum rss feed
Author

Munchsack user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1770 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Nov 05, 08:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Posted this a while back, but no-one responded. Anyone know why Under Pressure was cut out of the CD? I'm assuming for copyright reasons, but I'd like to know.

This can't end well.
Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2392 posts

Posted: 03 Nov 05, 08:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think without doubt gaining copywrite would have been an issue therefore cutting it was the easy option.

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
Munchsack user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1770 posts

Posted: 03 Nov 05, 08:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Was that copyright from Bowie?

This can't end well.
Togg

Posted: 03 Nov 05, 08:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, he shared the writing credits.

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 03 Nov 05, 08:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It was never intended to be on the CD or DVD. It has nothing to do with copyright.

Togg

Posted: 03 Nov 05, 08:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What makes you believe that it was never intended to go on CD/DVD? they have never stated this.

PieterMC

Posted: 03 Nov 05, 08:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Simon Lupton said, it's because the band were conscious that the filming takes away from the concert experience somewhat, with different lightning etc. They wanted one track where fans could get the same atmosphere as fans at other venues, with no filming lights etc.

Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 03 Nov 05, 08:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Togg wrote:

What makes you believe that it was never intended to go on CD/DVD? they have never stated this.

Yes, they bloody did. At the gig, just before the song Brian said taht it's only for the audience at the venue and it won't be on DVD. Simple as that. I think that shopuld cover the "they stated it" bit... BTW- I was there and heard it perfectly clear...

Togg

Posted: 03 Nov 05, 09:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well done numpty, but the reason was COPYWRITE if you really think it was because thye didn't want it on the CD then you don't understand simple business issues.

They had to play it because it's been such a hit, however Mr Bowie has put up many barriers in the past for putting it out on disk

PieterMC

Posted: 03 Nov 05, 09:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Togg wrote:

Well done numpty, but the reason was COPYWRITE if you really think it was because thye didn't want it on the CD then you don't understand simple business issues.

They had to play it because it's been such a hit, however Mr Bowie has put up many barriers in the past for putting it out on disk

I am affraid that you are talking complete crap. It was never going to be on the CD or DVD. Period.

Ayreon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 139 posts

Posted: 03 Nov 05, 09:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Crap indeed. Queen owns the copyright. It's been on GH2 and 3, on the DVD's, etc.. It was just played in sheffield for the fans

Togg

Posted: 03 Nov 05, 09:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just think about that for a moment, now does it really make sense to decide to drop one song from the DVD to please the audience, which just happens to be the one song they have to get approval to use!

Togg

Posted: 03 Nov 05, 09:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry but Queen only own part copywrite,
period.

PieterMC

Posted: 03 Nov 05, 09:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Are you smoking crack????

A) It was never going to be on the DVD or CD
B) It sounded pretty crap anyway
C) IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH COPYRIGHT

Togg

Posted: 03 Nov 05, 09:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Do you have any idea of the process of including it in a release, never mind dividing royalties afterwards, of course it's a major part of the issue.

Besides they played it after Sheffield, so it was not just a one off for the fans in Sheffield

PieterMC

Posted: 03 Nov 05, 09:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh sorry I guess you must be right.

That's why they put Reaching Out, Imagine and Let There Be Drums on there and cut out one of their own songs. To save money. Gotcha.

Togg

Posted: 03 Nov 05, 09:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You make a good point, however, every track has to be approved for use, and sometimes that can be more trouble than it's worth, (particularly with some management teams) based on past experience my guess is it was a business decision rather than a creative one.

Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 03 Nov 05, 10:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Togg wrote:

Just think about that for a moment, now does it really make sense to decide to drop one song from the DVD to please the audience, which just happens to be the one song they have to get approval to use!

And whio is numpty here?
Brian said staright away that this is NOT going to be on the album and DVD. So they dropped it. As much as I have no idea what's behind that decission- you haven't one either. It's all speculation. All I was pointing out was that they stated it, as clearly as possible. It was NEVER going to be released. It wasn't CONSIDERED to be released. They were saying that from the start. Period.

Togg

Posted: 03 Nov 05, 10:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Reap as you sow my friend!

The 'numpty' was directed at your tone.

John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts

Posted: 03 Nov 05, 10:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The reason "Under Pressure" was not released, was so that the live audience would have a "special treat" of their own, (a sort of bonus track if you like) for buying the tickets, turning up, supporting the band, and being there.

So it's all about the band, doing something EXTRA for the LIVE fans, (a bit like "Teo..." in Japan, or Tavas..." in Budapest).

Brian stated it was not going out on CD or DVD, and (I paraphrase) because it "was meant as a thank-you" (or something like that).

When Queenonline announced the planned set-list, it was also announced that "Under Pressure" would NOT be included for this reason. Moreover, I think the tours official "journalist", Thomas Zeidler, also says similar on his site:

http://www.queentour2005.wegotit.at/

So what is the problem? You are upset because the band decided to give a little something special to those in attendance?

Other exclusives to the show, well Erin's famous "hawt dawgs" spring to mind, but, I don't really grudge that either.

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."