Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Phoebe's Book

forum rss feed
Author

Munchsack user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1770 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Nov 05, 08:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey everybody. Picked up "Freddie Mercury" by Peter Freestone in HMV the other day for £2.99! Couldn't believe it!!!!!!!

This can't end well.
Benn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1332 posts

Posted: 08 Nov 05, 09:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's the largest pile of shit I have ever had the misfortune of reading. The bulk of it is written extremely poorly - how this ever got past the editing stage is completely beyond me......

Benn
its_a_hard_life user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 949 posts

Posted: 08 Nov 05, 10:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

*2.99* :O WOW Thats cheap!! Good for you!

"I'm a greedy bitch" - Freddie Mercury

REST IN PEACE FREDDIE MERCURY!!
its_a_hard_life user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 949 posts

Posted: 08 Nov 05, 10:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Benn wrote:

It's the largest pile of shit I have ever had the misfortune of reading. The bulk of it is written extremely poorly - how this ever got past the editing stage is completely beyond me......

I want to see you try writing a book of Freddie Mercury... Peter was one of the closet you can get to Freddie dont diss his book.

"I'm a greedy bitch" - Freddie Mercury

REST IN PEACE FREDDIE MERCURY!!

Posted: 08 Nov 05, 12:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Have you read it? Have you read the completely inconprehensible style it's been written in?

The book has no structure and is completely random in how it covers the topics involved. There is no apparent objectivity either - more an excuse for Phoebe to elaborate upon already well-known stories and anecdotes about Freddie's life.

The illustrations are also well below the standard you would like to "expect" from a book by someone so close to his subject.

I could go on "dissing" the book quite *easily*.

There is yet to be a decent book written about the band or it's individual members and certainly, someone from within the camp isn;'t goingt o be nearly objective enough or, for that matter, allowed to tell it as it really was because of censure by QPL.

Benn
A_night_@_the_opera user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 44 posts

Posted: 08 Nov 05, 12:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have read the book and its great.

Power to the greatest band on earth, QUEEN xD
Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 08 Nov 05, 15:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brilliant. Having spent time with a singer in a band is apparently ideal qualification for being a published writer!

Ah, the logic of the twat....

Just You and Me user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 94 posts

Posted: 08 Nov 05, 15:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i'm reading it now and though i find it interesting i do have to admit there are sentences when i just have to lower my head and think "what the heck was he thinking when he wrote that."

life is like a box of chocolates...stuffed with individuals.

Mary
tia user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 290 posts

Posted: 08 Nov 05, 15:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Benn wrote:

Have you read it? Have you read the completely inconprehensible style it's been written in?

The book has no structure and is completely random in how it covers the topics involved. There is no apparent objectivity either - more an excuse for Phoebe to elaborate upon already well-known stories and anecdotes about Freddie's life.

The illustrations are also well below the standard you would like to "expect" from a book by someone so close to his subject.

I could go on "dissing" the book quite *easily*.

There is yet to be a decent book written about the band or it's individual members and certainly, someone from within the camp isn;'t goingt o be nearly objective enough or, for that matter, allowed to tell it as it really was because of censure by QPL.

I agree with that there was no structure. It jumped around alot but it had alot of good information in it.The pictures irratated me because they were all pictures of freddie's former boyfriends and they all looked like him.

just turn yourself into anything you think that you could ever be
teddybear user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 140 posts

Posted: 08 Nov 05, 16:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, I did not like it either. IN fact I am very suspicious of any book that "kiss and tells" so much, especially when the person is not alive to defend it !! Anyway, guess you can read it for what it likely is - half fact and half fiction - like most unauthorised biographies are.

rachael mae. user not visiting Queenzone.com
i am lush
rachael mae.
Royalty: 1489 posts

Posted: 08 Nov 05, 16:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I picked it up for £2.99 too.. it's so difficult to understand, he sort of flicks back and forth between things..

beautifulsoup user not visiting Queenzone.com
beautifulsoup
Royalty: 1797 posts

Posted: 08 Nov 05, 17:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well - I leafed through it to get as much Freddie/Montserrat info as I could. Now I'm looking forward to reading it cover to cover.

"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely." - Ogden Nash
Aura Marina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 61 posts

Posted: 09 Nov 05, 00:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I never read it, because in my country don't found it and my english is very poor too. Anyway, if I have the oportunity, I prefer read to Phoebe because I think he Knew better to Freddie and he's most Loyal to him. Don't care the form or way that he Write.

PS: Sorry for my bad english

amarina

THE SHOW MUST GO ON!
blerp user not visiting Queenzone.com
blerp
Deity: 2438 posts

Posted: 09 Nov 05, 00:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mercury and Me sounds so far the best, so I might invest on buying that one.

How many books published about Freddie are there?

I'm so pissed I could spit.
Tazmanuk user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 4 posts

Posted: 09 Nov 05, 01:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I must admit I've got and read (several times now) Mercury and Me, It's very well written and you can tll that it was written with the collaboration of somebody who really did care for and love Freddie a lot. Highly recommend it.

Taz

its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 09 Nov 05, 06:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LadyMercury wrote:

Mercury and Me sounds so far the best, so I might invest on buying that one.

How many books published about Freddie are there?

Loads, lol.

Munchsack user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1770 posts

Posted: 09 Nov 05, 08:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Perhaps it has no structure, I don't know, I haven't read much of it yet, but it's not bad for £2.99.

This can't end well.
ok.computer user not visiting Queenzone.com
ok.computer
Bohemian: 600 posts

Posted: 09 Nov 05, 08:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Benn wrote:

I think until the three remaining members sit down and put their thoughts on paper, we're unlikely to get anything that makes for "a good read".

I've only read "As it Began" - the rest just looked tawdry and paperback-ish.

It's very rarely that anybody in the music world has the literary talent to write a decent autobiography. I think the three of them (yes, I DO think that for this project, that would be very possible), should team up with a good ghost-writer and editor and do a project worthy of the subject.

I think a three-volume project would be good. Beginnings to 1980, 1981 to 90, 1991 to present day with an extensive section on solo work.

Any more than three volumes, I think they'd get bored.

Anyway, as usual that's my tuppence worth. Y'all are welcome to disagree, but as usual, while I support and welcome your right to do so, I won't give a fuck. :-D

Cheers y'all

Paul

"Just tryin' to have a little fun, folks..."
Whatinthewhatthe? user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2210 posts

Posted: 09 Nov 05, 08:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Phoebe's book in the bargain bin?
I thought it had been out of print for years!

Posted: 09 Nov 05, 10:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So, the general concensus then is that the book's rubbish.......? :-)

>It's very rarely that anybody in the music >world has the literary talent to write a decent >autobiography.

Just wait until Pete Townshend releases his - THAT will be the benchmark for ANY autobiography. Should be available next year depending on whether he takes the time to finish it above his commitments to the band.

>I think the three of them (yes, I DO think that >for this project, that would be very possible), >should team up with a good ghost-writer and >editor and do a project worthy of the subject.

Won't ever happen - there are too many "other people" involved for there to ever be a Queen "autobiography". Ie Jim Beach, Freddie's estate etc........

Best we can hope for is people to actually ask Brian "relevant" *pertinent* questions via his website, but, again, as we all know, he never answers anything that may be controversial or that may possibly reflect badly on him.......

Benn