This is my next to last review, the most widely criticized of all Queen's albums (not counting Flash Gordon). Here, I will rate the songs out of 10, explain the rating and then rate the album as a whole.
1. Staying Power - The album version is a little weak and it lacks something. It has a good bass in it but needs to sound more like it does on Milton Keynes. The live version is fantastic and is a 10 but the studio version is an 8/10
2. Dancer - Also has a good beat and drums in it, but the song is very weak lyrically speaking. Just not much too it. 6/10
3. Back Chat - Another song that is much better live. Many fans don't like the drum machines on this album but I think it gives it a unique sound. The live version is better, this one's a 8/10.
4. Body Language - A terrible attempt at Queen being "sexy". Good bass by John, but the song is terrible and the lyrics are cheesy. 5/10
5. Action This Day - Personally I don't care for this song, studio or live. For me it just doesn't do anything. Mediocre song. 6/10
6. Put Out The Fire - A good rock track which is also good live (Japan '82). The band shows they didn't forget their rock and roll sound. 9/10
7. Life Is Real (Song For Lennon) - Great song. Moving ballad and great lyrics. Dedicated by one music icon to another. Fantastic song. 10/10
8. Calling All Girls - I've read many people bashing this song but I think it's good. The guitar strum before the chorus is fun and the lyrics are nice and upbeat. 8/10
9. Las Palabras De Amor (The Words Of Love) - My personal favorite on the album. The lyrics are gentle and moving and Freddie really puts his all into the song. Would have loved to hear this live with Freddie singing it. Another awesome number. 10/10
10. Cool Cat - When I first bought this album I hated this song. But after a while it grew on me, and now I really like it. It's catchy and Freddie's falsetto is great. Good song. 8/10
11. Under Pressure - Fantastic song with Queen recording with another artist for the first time. This is the song that will make people buy the album but the heart and soul of Hot Space is in tracks 6-9 imo. Great bass line and fantastic song to close the album. 10/10
Ok all you Hot Space bashers, there's my review. Overall I think the album is incredibly underrated. Yes it has it's share of junk songs but it's got some really great songs as well. Overall I give it an 8/10. My next review (Queen II) is my last one (sigh). Hope you enjoy it. Take care.
How can I go on from day to day? Who can make me strong in every way?