Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Good Company Live?!?

forum rss feed
Author

[ Wybren™ ] user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 650 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Nov 05, 07:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Of the many highlights on the DVD, Brian May says his favourite of the new videos is for 'Good Company'. "They only performed the song once live," Lupton explains, "And it was never filmed. Brian set us the task of finding old news footage to try and tell the story. And it was lovely because he was bowled over by the results. He said we absolutely captured the spirit of what the song was about."

Lupton says they played Good Company live. I think it's a mistake. Anyone?


[ Ahoy' Rotterdam, April 26th ]|[ Rhein Energie Stadion Köln, Juli 6th ]|[ Gelredome Arnhem, July 10th ]
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Nov 05, 08:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's a Brian's memory. During last year he recalled so many previously unknown facts about early days - Freddie was a fan of PR, they've played 'Good Company'... Maybe they did, maybe they've rehearsed - I'm sure they've rehearsed, but I don't have any evidences of it.

goinback user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 997 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Nov 05, 17:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah I think he said it was played live once but that gig wasn't recorded. Weren't all the shows recorded during that period?


"I have no time for Time magazine. Or Rolling Stone." Jethro Tull
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Nov 05, 05:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian once said, all concerts from 1974 until the Magic Tour were recorded.


John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Nov 05, 06:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It might be one more of Brian's mistakes (add one stripe to the tiger) or merely a mistake of the bloke who said that. Perhaps he dreamt that Brian told him so or whatever.


John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Nov 05, 04:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Damn you're just talking like Brian is some senile old man. Ask any 58 year old man what song he sang in 1975. And also ask him if he only sang it once, or twice.

How on earth can you expect someone who is almost 60 to remember one small detail of a song he played, what music a friend of him listened to, who wrote one tiny little note in a song when it's 30 years ago. Please man, grow up.

I'm sure Freddie would've remembered it, Freddie was a god. Or John Lennon, he would've known it. But not Paul ofcourse, Paul and Brian didn't die so they are just raping the legacy of Queen and The Beatles.


"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."



(Genesis 1:1)
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Nov 05, 06:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, Niek, but he remember how they recorded Bo Rhap (just watch GVH1), who sung what there, he remember what Fred listened in those days etc. etc. etc. And of course he must remember if he has ever sung whole song on any Queen show (if Freddie sung it then Brian has to remember it too)!

P.S. Therefore Brian's memory is not so bad...

zaiga user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 385 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Nov 05, 09:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Perhaps they played part of it in a medley once? Or maybe the rehearsed it, tried it live once, didn't like it and then scrapped it and never played it again. Or they rehearsed it for a one-of special performance, much like they did with Imagine this year.

Anyway, I think it would be strange to state that they played Good Company live only once, when it isn't true. The reverse would have been more likely: stating that it never got played while it in fact did get played once or twice. So, I think it is true, in one form or another.


Flick of the wrist
zaiga user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 385 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Nov 05, 09:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=green>Rick wrote:

Brian once said, all concerts from 1974 until the Magic Tour were recorded.


Recorded, but not filmed, I suppose? The original quote talked about the fact the Good Company was never filmed live.


Flick of the wrist
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Nov 05, 09:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

> Damn you're just talking like Brian is some senile old man.

Didn't mean that

> How on earth can you expect someone who is almost 60 to remember one small detail of a song he played

I didn't say I expected him to. Indeed, I meant that people shouldn't expect him to.

> what music a friend of him listened to

I've never taken part of those "Fred was fan of PR" discussions

> who wrote one tiny little note in a song when it's 30 years ago

Again, I've never said I expect him to. And that's what I mean: if in one obscure interview, or even a DVD commentary Brian says they played Good Company, or he says MFK is on Queen II, or he says John wrote UP bass-line, it ought not to be taken as fact since, as you say, we can't expect him to remember everything (imo, not because of his age, but because memory can play tricks on anbody, whether you're five, twenty or a hundred).

> Please man, grow up

I think you're taking this way too personal

> I'm sure Freddie would've remembered it

Definitely not. He even confused which album was Love Of My Life on.

> Or John Lennon, he would've known it.

Same thing there, John couldn't care less about those facts.

> But not Paul ofcourse

Which Paul? Stanley? McCartney? Rodgers?... each one's a different story

> Paul and Brian didn't die so they are just raping the legacy of Queen and The Beatles.

That's your own (sarcastic) opinion and it's respectable. I don't blame them for being alive, I'm glad they are and I like Paul's new album. You're peeing one hundred miles outside of the loo.

> I think it would be strange to state that they played Good Company live only once

Unless they confused it with another one.


John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Lord Blackadder user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1163 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Nov 05, 13:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FriedChicken<br><font size=1>The Almighty</font> wrote:

Damn you're just talking like Brian is some senile old man. Ask any 58 year old man what song he sang in 1975. And also ask him if he only sang it once, or twice.

How on earth can you expect someone who is almost 60 to remember one small detail of a song he played, what music a friend of him listened to, who wrote one tiny little note in a song when it's 30 years ago. Please man, grow up.

I'm sure Freddie would've remembered it, Freddie was a god. Or John Lennon, he would've known it. But not Paul ofcourse, Paul and Brian didn't die so they are just raping the legacy of Queen and The Beatles.


People can't remember what they did last week most of the time. And that's at any age. So someone made a mistake. There you go.


"I bet you lost your virginity to a mechanical bull"
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Nov 05, 19:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

> People can't remember what they did last week most of the time. And that's at any age. So someone made a mistake. There you go

Very true. Standing ovation!


John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Nov 05, 09:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wasn't talking about you in specific Sebastian.

Look at me, i played about 25 shows, or something like that. And even I, a 19 year old, can't remember which songs I played, or if I played a certain song in rehearsal, or on stage. And thats 1-3 years ago.

And when he does remember Borhap. Borhap was a hugh turning point in their carreer. It's easier to remember the recording of a groundbreaking song then one of the 700 concerts they played. Or even one of the 25 songs, of the 700 concerts they played.




"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."



(Genesis 1:1)
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Nov 05, 09:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FriedChicken<br><font size=1>The Almighty</font> wrote:


And when he does remember Borhap. Borhap was a hugh turning point in their carreer. It's easier to remember the recording of a groundbreaking song then one of the 700 concerts they played. Or even one of the 25 songs, of the 700 concerts they played.



It wasn't high turning point in their career when they were recording it! It was after the release of song, I guess :) So how could he know that he must remember only these recording days?

When you're talking about 25 songs on 700 concerts - you're talking in the way like if they've played 17500 different songs! They've played the same songs every day during few months. And if they would play his own song, and not only his own - but sung by himself... He must remember it, I think! If it was played live and he sung it - when, as I wrote - it was only one song that he performed live on Queen shows, such things can't be forgotten (especially since Brian is very pedantic person). If Freddie have sung it - then he must remember how Freddie rehearsed, because he didn't sing it on the album etc. etc. etc.

Answer is very simple: the guy who said that they've played GC have heard it not from Brian. Or Brian meant something other (look, I'm not saying something bad about Brian, because seems like you think that I wanted to hurt him).

P.S. Paul Rodgers is not a teenager, but he remember very well how he has seen Freddie near the manager's office in the mid 70s and just said "hello!", Roger remember his first meeting with Freddie in the little details.

zaiga user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 385 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Nov 05, 10:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm not sure what this is going to contribute to the discussion, but anyway... Human memory is fallible. There's stuff we remember vividly, stuff we forget, and stuff that we think we remember well, but actually mix up with something else. We embellish our memories, make them nicer, or more horrible, or we combine various memories with eachother, etc, etc.

So, when Brian says that they played Good Company live once, it might very well be that he somehow has gotten this wrong, it's certainly possible. However, I do think it's much more likely that the reverse would have been true: a song that they performed once, but which he does't remember. Because this particular memory is so specific, I think we should give it the benefit of the doubt.

Maybe Brian misrembers it, and confuses it with another song. Leroy Brown perhaps, which also has a ukulele in it.

And yes, there's the possibility that there's a miscommunciation as well. Perhaps Brian said they rehearsed it once, and one took that as they played it once. Perhaps someone found an old setlist with Good Company on it, the band planning to play it that night, but skipping it in reality, etc, etc.

But, like I said, I'd like to give it the benefit of the doubt.


Flick of the wrist
GreatKingSam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 670 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Nov 05, 11:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not sure if this adds anything, but on the ANATO DVD he also says, during the audio commentary, that My Fairy King was a track off of Queen II. Now I know these sessions were very close etc, but still...!

If he can confuse this, then he may confuse other things, who knows.