Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Why are Queen fans against hip hop music?

forum rss feed
Author

Freddie's #1 Fan Forever user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 386 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Nov 05, 01:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have noticed that a lot of Queen fans say that they hate hip hop. That does not seem very open minded to me and I am kind of disappointed by this. People say that hip hop isn't music, but why not? I just think that maybe people who do not like hip hop just simply do not have any sense of rhythm. Just as some people are tone deaf, I wonder if others are not "rhythm" deaf. In other words, they just really don't have any feel or appreciation for rhythm. On the other hand, I will say that Queen seemed to be one of the few bands that understood rhythm. In particular, I think that Freddie really knew how to put the emphasis on the off beat. "Under Pressure" is probably the best example of this.

Freddie's #1 Fan Forever user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 386 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 05, 01:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

By the way, I was also really disappointed that the "killer Queen" tribute album did not have any hip hop or black artists. I wonder what happened. If Jay-Z had been involved, for instance, he probably would have come up with something interesting.

All I Hear Is Radio Gaga user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1181 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 05, 03:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Because it sucks, it's not pure music.

"Take The First Step In Faith, You Don't Have To See The Whole Staircase, Just Take The First Step."
ropeyjoe user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 11 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 05, 05:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I personaly think that the reason most queen fans hate hip hop is because the were brought up in a completely different enviroment music wise.
The music they would have been listing to would have been influenced heavely by rock and previous genre's and so when Hip-Hop finnaly got a bit of recognision they shunned it immediatly. I guess they're thinking where's the guitar and where the HECK are the vocals!!

Mind you Rock and Hip-Hop blend a treat if done right.(POD, Linkin Park and Jay Z etc.)

MelissaHawke user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 20 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 05, 05:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I LOVE Queen but i also like hip hop so u cant say that queen fans are not opened minded

"I Dont Do Mornings"-Roger Taylor
GreatKingSam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 670 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 05, 05:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Majority of people are very close minded when it comes to this kind of debate. I personally think it is stupid that people can turn around and say "I hate rap", when, at the end of the day, they are just following the mass opinion. They are intitled to not like it, yes, but sometimes people dislike it for pointless reasons.

There are certain people on this message board, no names mentioned (Queen Of Wrestling), who cannot understand that even if they hate it, it doesnt give them the right to go around preaching that it is shit and bad and no-one should listen to it. Opinions are opinions, but some people are just thick.

I predominantly am a rock fan, new and old, including The Beatles, Zeppelin, Buddy Holly, Velvet Revolver, Jimi Hendrix, Foo Fighters, Nirvana, Rage, Audioslave, Queen obviously, Muse, Darkness etc, also like some lighter stuff like Michael Jackson etc, yet I also am a very big fan of rap too (Eminem, Dr Dre, Jay Z, Tupac etc) and dont find anything wrong with this. I have to say though, one of my favourite other bands, and I know loads of people hate them for petty reasons too, is Limp Bizkit. As someone said, there is something about the mesh of rock and rap that works (Rage Against The Machine too).

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 05, 06:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There was no hip-hop on the Killer Queen album because it sucks.
A lot of Queen fans don't like hip-hop, because it sucks.

Actually... to be honest, I really don't give a damn about hip-hop. It's not the worst kind of music around, but by the same token the majority of it is just dead boring, the kind of crap you use to put kids to sleep or whatever. Like with all music, you have to dig around to find anything interesting.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
latina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 44 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 05, 07:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What is hip-hop?

goodco user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 371 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 05, 07:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wanted blue grass and country tracks on the tribute CD, but, like cRAP, there were none.
They must have something against white Southerners.

"Ladies and gentlemen... I guess that takes in most of you..." Groucho Marx, 'A Night at the Opera'

That guy who digs energy domes user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5020 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 05, 09:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My father used to work at a roller disco rink and he watched how rap was born. Rap was started by DJ's talking between songs.When that became popular, MC's (master of ceremony) started being appointed.

I hate hip hop music mostly because of the song quality.Take the candy shop song.Would you honestly want your 8 year old singing that?

In contrary of my first point, Get Down Make Love and Tie Your Mother Down aren't the best family songs but still. I have never heard a Queen song use "bitch" "ho" (in Life Is Real he said "loving like a whore)

Queen simply portrays a better message for people to follow. What can be gained by trying to act ghetto?

And Great King Sam, are you aware you argued with a 16 year old for 3 days?

Freedom of choice is what you've got

Freedom from choice is what you want

http://queen4ever.19.forumer.com/index.php

Posted: 23 Nov 05, 09:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes thank you.

Simple - if you don't like rap, don't listen to it, but just becuase you don't like it, doesn't mean that it is therefore certified as bad music, thats what you dont seem to understand.

Ray D O'Gaga user not visiting Queenzone.com
Get down, make love
Ray D O'Gaga
Royalty: 1259 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 05, 09:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zarathustra II wrote:

That does not seem very open minded to me and I am kind of disappointed by this.

Pot, meet kettle. Kettle, pot.

http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=663665

Blow it out your ass.

Posted: 23 Nov 05, 10:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In response to Queen of Wrestlings comment about why rappers try to act ghetto. Once again I stress that it is a cultural thing. The reason many rappers try to act ghetto is because (oh what a Shock!!,) they are infact from the ghetto and only "singing" about what is/ or was relevant to them and thier audience at that stage of thier lives and clearly there is alot to gain by "acting" ghetto because while all those rappers are flying around the world in learjets most of us are working cheap day jobs.

Oh and song quality will differ just as much in Hip Hop as it does in any other form of art.

its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 05, 10:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm a rock N roll person OH and dont tell me i was never brought up with the HIP HOP music i have to listen to that bullshit everyday from my 20 year old brother and my area is pretty rough full of the chavs, so dont tell me i never grew up with it because you all dont know.
I think HIP HOP is the most shittest music in the world i would rather watch paint dry.
There is no bloody talent in it all just talking very fast ARGH fucking stupid i tell ya!

Posted: 23 Nov 05, 10:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh really I'd like to see you recite a couple thousands words from memory, very quickly, all in order, without screwing up and still make it sound good.. and one question you black or white?

its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 05, 10:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ropeyjoe wrote:

Oh really I'd like to see you recite a couple thousands words from memory, very quickly, all in order, without screwing up and still make it sound good.. and one question you black or white?

Are you talking to me?

Posted: 23 Nov 05, 10:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nothing more than a rhythm and poor lyrics in your opinion, yes. Others think that hip-hop is quite good. Some of it (cough Ja Rule cough) is pathetic, some is actually quite good, lyrically and musically (Tupac lyrics were more like poetry in places, for instance).

Posted: 23 Nov 05, 10:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with GreatKingSam like Zeonka 12 said: Like with all music, you have to dig around to find anything interesting.

it was electric7 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 709 posts

Posted: 23 Nov 05, 10:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

hip hop and rap isnt music

Posted: 23 Nov 05, 10:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh and yeah I was talking to you its_a_hard_life
and what the hell is a chav?