Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Brian May: Egomaniac

forum rss feed
Author

Freddie's #1 Fan Forever user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 386 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Nov 05, 19:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As much as I used to like Brian May, his egomanical tendencies are driving me up the wall! Interestingly, I have never found Roger and John to be anything but humble.
Perhaps the most egregious illustration of Brian May's out-of-control ego can be seen at the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert, where he stacked the concert up with his own compositions, many of which were not even hits! Since the purpose of the concert was to honor Freddie Mercury, should it not have focused upon Freddie Mercury's songs? I also found it appalling that Brian May would use the event in order to promote the single for his upcoming album. More amusingly, he actually goes so far as to declare that this particular self-promoting act represented the best thing that he could do to honor Freddie!
Moreover, Brian May's website diary and soapbox represent some of the most despicable displays of narcissism that one could possibly encounter on the internet. I mean, the posts are utterly boring and all he does it talk on and on and on about inconsequential events concerning himself. It is as though he thinks that people are so very interested in these uninteresting, minute details. Maybe a few dozen people in the world really are interested in him at that level, but for the average person entering the site, it is almost embarrassing.
People on this site most recently mentioned the fact that Brian May spoke for the longest period of time of any presenter during some award ceremony held in the UK a couple of days ago. Here again is further evidence of what I am talking about. Even though he hasn't done much of anything during the last 15 years, he nonetheless assumes that everyone in the audience is so interested in hearing him talk on and on and on.
As usual, Brian May talked on and on and on about himself during an interview a few years ago with "Classic Rock" magazine and do you know what they did? They put Freddie Mercury on the cover! You'd think that he would have learned his lesson!

drummergirl85 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 139 posts

Posted: 27 Nov 05, 20:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well...I think it's a good thing he talked for a long time at the UK Hall of Fame...that shows he really cares about the band he was inducting and that he put a lot of work into it and thought. I was actually shocked at the others who were giving speeches as they didnt say much at all. If you have ever seen the American Hall of Fame most people who induct band have looong speeches...so it;s not a surprise. I don;t know what that has to do with your argument that he is egotistical because he didn't talk about himself in that speech, it was the story of Black Sabbath and how they influenced many musicians.

Also, the diary is just like all the other millions of people in this world that have online blogs. What are they for? who knows. But I am so in aww that he wpould actually take the time out to become personal with his fans and talk to us normally as a human being. Yes, he talks about things that have happened to him, events, his ideas....but thats what we do too. I have a blog....I dont write one cause I am egotistival or care if anyone reads that damn stupid thing, but...its where you sahre your ideas, vent whats bothering you or share joy and pain with others.

Also, why does it b other yopu soo much then...if you don't supposesdly like him "at that level" If you dont care you wouldn't get so angry about it. What's the big deal...just leave it.

Sherwood Forest user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3547 posts

Posted: 27 Nov 05, 20:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yea i agree with what your saying (drummergirl) cuz a lot of people have blogs and they dont talk about the past or anything they talk about whats going on now, in their lives not what happened. And thats why its called BrianMay.com, i think its more than i could ever ask for out of my personal hero to write about stuff like that and do it for the fans, i think its great and he puts up his email so we can tell him our feelings on this stuff. I think its great, i dont think an egomaniac would do that, put up an email address saying email me with ur thoughts feelings, and any other stuff you have not only about him, but about Queen and stuff like that think about. And as for the Tribute concert they did songs that best fit the artists voice and liking. I think youjust noticed a pattern, i dont think it was supposed to be the way ur thinking of it. I think you thinking too hard about it, it Brian know hes famous and he keeps his fans happy, and someone who is egotistical would not tell fans that he doesnt want to sign autographs, he would rather talk to people person to person, not famous person to fan. and when u say hes egotistical it was about interveiws where they are expecting him to talk about himself or the band, and sometimes it easy to compare something to urself to make outside people understand.
i know that was confusing but think about it a bit youll get what im saying

One should ANALize the Poetry on page 43, when Oedipus is rollin' in his benzo and he has to bust a cap on some flagrants in the under city

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/image/essay/1
drummergirl85 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 139 posts

Posted: 27 Nov 05, 20:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah I agree witht he concert thing..... I don't think there was some conspiracy with it lol. Some "secret plan" Brian had.

Sherwood Forest user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3547 posts

Posted: 27 Nov 05, 20:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

hahaha yea "hmmmm i think im going to do mostly my songs and by doing that i shall brainwash all the fans to buy my record!" such a bad boy brian

One should ANALize the Poetry on page 43, when Oedipus is rollin' in his benzo and he has to bust a cap on some flagrants in the under city

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/image/essay/1
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 27 Nov 05, 21:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

bitch4freddie wrote:

As much as I used to like Brian May, his egomanical tendencies are driving me up the wall! Interestingly, I have never found Roger and John to be anything but humble.
Perhaps the most egregious illustration of Brian May's out-of-control ego can be seen at the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert, where he stacked the concert up with his own compositions, many of which were not even hits! Since the purpose of the concert was to honor Freddie Mercury, should it not have focused upon Freddie Mercury's songs? I also found it appalling that Brian May would use the event in order to promote the single for his upcoming album. More amusingly, he actually goes so far as to declare that this particular self-promoting act represented the best thing that he could do to honor Freddie!
Moreover, Brian May's website diary and soapbox represent some of the most despicable displays of narcissism that one could possibly encounter on the internet. I mean, the posts are utterly boring and all he does it talk on and on and on about inconsequential events concerning himself. It is as though he thinks that people are so very interested in these uninteresting, minute details. Maybe a few dozen people in the world really are interested in him at that level, but for the average person entering the site, it is almost embarrassing.
People on this site most recently mentioned the fact that Brian May spoke for the longest period of time of any presenter during some award ceremony held in the UK a couple of days ago. Here again is further evidence of what I am talking about. Even though he hasn't done much of anything during the last 15 years, he nonetheless assumes that everyone in the audience is so interested in hearing him talk on and on and on.
As usual, Brian May talked on and on and on about himself during an interview a few years ago with "Classic Rock" magazine and do you know what they did? They put Freddie Mercury on the cover! You'd think that he would have learned his lesson!

Brian is much more humble than Roger is. Roger always says what he really thinks, whereas Brian has always been the diplomatic one.

The reason why there weren't so many Freddie tracks at the FM tribute concert and on the Q+PR tour is quite simply because it's incredibly difficult to sing many songs like Freddie did! Songs were picked so that others could lend their own style to them. Also, I think it's well-established that the majority of Queen's most technical material was written by Freddie, and that goes for the vocal lines as well.

I think far more than a dozen people read Brian's soapbox. I think you're underestimating how much Brian is respected around the world. Thousands of people check that page every day to see if their favourite guitarist has something else to say. I'm one of them, and I know several others who do the same. Surely we can't be half of them.

What better song could Brian have offered at the FM tribute than TMLWKY? Sail Away Sweet Sister? Come on, be realistic. He could not have done better.

If you're going to pick a fight, the best place to do it probably won't be at a Queen forum where assumingly the majority of people love Brian May. Almost every word of your post was opinion and nothing more.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Ray D O'Gaga user not visiting Queenzone.com
Get down, make love
Ray D O'Gaga
Royalty: 1259 posts

Posted: 27 Nov 05, 21:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ray D. O'Gaga: Frito-maniac

Blow it out your ass.

Posted: 27 Nov 05, 21:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It is highly likely that Brian May deliberately tried to influence the playlist at the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert. He also seemed to pick artists who had a lot in common with him rather than artists who shared Freddie's style. At the end of the day, it is very sad to say that the concert appeared to be more of a Brian May Appreciation Day than a Freddie Mercruy Tribute Concert.
Had Brian May not been the huge egomaniac that we all know him to be, he probably would have stopped and said, "Wait a minute. Since this is Freddie's concert, maybe we should be trying to emphasize his songs over mine." Interestingly, the same thing happened at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony, where they opened with "We Will Rock You" and closed with "Tie Your Mother Down". When Freddie was around, I'm sure that he never would have allowed Brian to get away with this. Unfortunately, since Brian May does not seem to have any kind of strong conscience, he does not feel the need to honor those things that Freddie might have wanted.

Posted: 27 Nov 05, 21:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To Sir GH,
You make a lot of really good points, but it still hurts me to see how Brian behaves toward Freddie.
You also suggest that Roger has a big ego, but I have not really seen that. You are right that Brian has thousands of fans around the world. But does that mean that he has to make a website where he documents every single little aspect of his life, down to what cat food his cat eats? I mean, even the most dedicated Brian May fans must get kind of bored by this.

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 27 Nov 05, 21:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I must've missed his post on what his cat eats. Care to reveal that information?

The Real Wizard

Posted: 27 Nov 05, 21:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

bitch4freddie wrote:

To Sir GH,
You make a lot of really good points, but it still hurts me to see how Brian behaves toward Freddie.
You also suggest that Roger has a big ego, but I have not really seen that. You are right that Brian has thousands of fans around the world. But does that mean that he has to make a website where he documents every single little aspect of his life, down to what cat food his cat eats? I mean, even the most dedicated Brian May fans must get kind of bored by this.

Then people can choose not to visit his site! Some people appreciate the fact that Brian goes out of his way to express himself publically as he does, which shows his humanity. His post a couple weeks back called "a second in the life of a guitarist" totally connected with me. In fact, I think it was one of most beautiful things I've ever read. I am a performing musician, and it was beyond amazing to learn that while on stage, the exact same things go through Brian's head as my own.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

Posted: 27 Nov 05, 22:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To Sir GH,
You might be correct about the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert when you say that Freddie Mercury's songs are generally harder to sing than "I Want It All" or "Tie Your Mother Down". I never really thought about that and you do have a point there. I just wonder what the point of the concert was then. Regardless, it didn't seem like its purpose was to honor Freddie Mercury. I personally found it really depressing.

Maybe Brian's soapbox does have some good advice in it for guitarists. It just seems like there is way too much of him talking about himself. If you just look at the last month, there are like 50 pages of writing about every little thing that he has done, including various photos of him sitting around with young looking Japanese girls. What is the point of this? I just cannot possibly imagine someone like John Deacon or even Freddie Mercury making a webpage like this. "Who the fuck cares?", I could image them saying.

teleman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 740 posts

Posted: 27 Nov 05, 22:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

bitch4freddie wrote:

As much as I used to like Brian May, his egomanical tendencies are driving me up the wall! ...

Another boring wind up.

Crazy LittleThing user not visiting Queenzone.com
Crazy LittleThing
Royalty: 1593 posts

Posted: 27 Nov 05, 22:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

bitch4freddie wrote:

. . . He also seemed to pick artists who had a lot in common with him rather than artists who shared Freddie's style.

Yeah, Like Liza.

I saved Spike's life in 'Nam.
The Real Wizard

Posted: 27 Nov 05, 22:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Crazy LittleThing wrote:

bitch4freddie wrote:

. . . He also seemed to pick artists who had a lot in common with him rather than artists who shared Freddie's style.

Yeah, Like Liza.

Haha, yes! And let's not forget Elton John. He and Roger were always the best of friends!

Seriously, I think we need to remember that Freddie didn't have a lot of friends, so it's pretty low to criticize Brian and the rest for "not picking many of Freddie's friends".

bitch4freddie wrote:

I personally found it really depressing.

Well, I wouldn't exactly expect one to be elated while watching the event which closed the book on Queen's live career.

Maybe Brian's soapbox does have some good advice in it for guitarists. It just seems like there is way too much of him talking about himself. If you just look at the last month, there are like 50 pages of writing about every little thing that he has done, including various photos of him sitting around with young looking Japanese girls. What is the point of this? I just cannot possibly imagine someone like John Deacon or even Freddie Mercury making a webpage like this. "Who the fuck cares?", I could image them saying.

Again, if you don't like it, then don't visit. Spend your time doing something else rather than complaining about it. Clearly there are many people who are interested, and if you're not one of them, then you're entitled to your opinion. Stop wasting your time on negative emotions. Get off the computer and do something useful!

KingMercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 345 posts

Posted: 27 Nov 05, 22:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i dont agree with this post
i mean, maybe you`re right, maybe bri is a little bit egomaniac, but...tell me, is there any rockstar who isn`t egomaniac??
brian may is (IMO) one of the best guitarrist in the world, so he has grounds to be egomaniac
if you dont like him or his website, it`s easy: dont go there!
and i dont think brian organized the freddie merury tribute to promote his album
and the guests who sang or play there, arent only brian pals
frddie loved liza minelli
elton john was one of freddie`s best friends
i think freddie were very happy with those guests

and believe me, i`m tired of all these kind of topics: "brian is destroying queen legacy", "brian is egomaniac", "the queen+PR tour is pure crap"
brian and roger are keeping the queen spirit alive
maybe you colud not agree, but that`s not enough to say that is a piece of shit
and when you have a personal website, you write your own stuff
in brianmay.com, there are 4 sections: what`s new, brian`s soabox, brian may news, and queen news
brianmay.com is not all about him
and i think brian may is not only a good guitarrist, i think he`s a good person too

"I`m Just A Singer With A Song...How Can I Try to Right The Wrong"

Posted: 27 Nov 05, 23:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To Sir GH,
You say that Freddie did not have any friends. Is this true? I'm not offended at all, I just wonder if you have heard that Freddie was also really hard to get along with. I had always just thought that he didn't like hanging out with famous people other than Elton John, but maybe he angered a lot of people. Does anyone know? I have never heard anything suggesting that he was particularly nasty, but maybe people just don't want to come out and say it.

Dharankanawala user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 188 posts

Posted: 28 Nov 05, 05:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie certainly had his moments,
but he was a genuine, loving person.
Just like he said, "I have a hard shell, but inside I have a much softer side-that melts like butter."

"My soul is painted like the wings on butterflies...Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die...I can fly, my friends." FM
April Lady05 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 23 posts

Posted: 28 Nov 05, 05:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Now listen you low-down Brian-hater (topic starter)!

I have to tell you that I'm an anti-rock fan. I mean I'm not really keen on rock music, ya know. I prefer e.g. soul, R&B, jazz and adult pop instead.
Despite my musical taste, Brian May is the Musician whom I truly respect and can't stop admiring his talent, his compositions, his unique guitar playing style, his funny verses (e.g. "when a red hot man meets a white hot lady..."), etc.!

I have to admit that sometimes I had a similar feeling to yours: I thought Brian was kinda overdominating the shows. My other favourite guitarist is Dave Stewart (from Eurythmics) who is also a genius I think, however, he has a "smoother" style and he's the best at acoustic songs. Compared to Dave's approach to music, Brian sounds harsher, and I can feel the "here, there and everywhere" effect.
Is that bad, anyway? I don't think so, not at all!

No doubt Freddie Mercury was the best singer and the most talented musician (pianist) and showman of the 20th century. It's rather unfair he had to die!

BUT if Brian May had been any nother band's guitarist (not Queen), I would have been a fan of that band - I'm sure! :)
I also like his solo works. He - as a civil person - is very intelligent and open-minded for different kinds of (important) issues in the world, too. So I can only praise him!!!

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 28 Nov 05, 07:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Funny thing in such discussions is that someone says "Brian May is not very good as a man, he has terrible character, blah-blah-blah" and then someone replies with "Shut up, he's a great guitarist!".

This is why such topics are useless. We're talking on different languages...