Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Made in Heaven Chronology

forum rss feed
Author

Vulcan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 37 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Nov 05, 11:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I know this may have already been discussed a while ago, but I can't find it, but can anyone tell me the year that Freddie's vocal was recorded for each song on the MIH album as I read somewhere that some were as early as 1983.

Many thanks :o)

Jim

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 28 Nov 05, 11:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Beautiful Day - April 1980, The Game sessions
Made In Heaven, Born To Love You - 1985, Mr Bad Guy
Let Me Live - 1983 (Freddie vocal), 1994-95 (Brian and Roger)
Mother Love - 1991 (Freddie vocal), 1994-95 (Brian vocal)
My Life, Too Much Love - 1989, The Miracle sessions
Heaven For Everyone - 1987
You Don't Fool Me, Winter's Tale - 1991

Vulcan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 37 posts

Posted: 28 Nov 05, 12:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks v. much :oD

Jim

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 28 Nov 05, 12:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To be more correct: "I was born to love you" and "Made in heaven" could be recorded in 1984. And "My life has been saved" and "Too much love will kill you" in 1988 :)

Daz85 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1802 posts

Posted: 28 Nov 05, 13:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian's vocal on Mother Love comes from his original demo from 1991, and was not changed laster on.

PainPleasure user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 650 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 05, 03:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester Burnham wrote:

Beautiful Day - April 1980, The Game sessions

It's impossible it doesn't sound like Freddie's voice at the beginning of the '80s...more around 1987 or 1988...

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 05, 06:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's already been confirmed that IABD is from 1980, Game sessions at Munich.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 05, 13:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

But it was Brian who said that, he could be wrong ofcourse :P

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 05, 13:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the last vocals from Freddie from Mother Love were recorded 11 days before his death

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)

Posted: 01 Dec 05, 15:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FriedChicken<br><font size=1>The Almighty</font> wrote:

Sebastian wrote:

But it was Brian who said that, he could be wrong ofcourse :P

Actually Greg said it, so it is your memory that is out of whack! Why can't you be more like Brian and have a better memory? Next you'll be saying 'My Fairy King' is from The Works!

stateside fan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 632 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 05, 20:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i agree.no way "beautiful day" was from 1980.Freddies voice was much different(and much better) then.that vocal strains from the first note.sounds like everything after The Great Pretender.

john pistlli

Posted: 01 Dec 05, 20:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

stateside fan wrote:

i agree.no way "beautiful day" was from 1980.Freddies voice was much different(and much better) then.that vocal strains from the first note.sounds like everything after The Great Pretender.

No, 'Beautiful Day' was from 1980.

Zander05 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Zander05
Bohemian: 860 posts

Posted: 02 Dec 05, 01:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Maybe the guys decided to tinker with Beautiful Day sometime during the Innuendo sessions...? Might explain Freddie's voice. I'll shut up in case I'm wrong.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18633 posts

Posted: 02 Dec 05, 04:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dracula wrote:

I thought " A winters tale" was recorded late in 1990 in montreux - jim hutton mentions it in his book " mercury and me " .

Jim's a dick. It was recorded very shortly before Freddie died, along with Mother Love.

I still don't believe that It's A Beautiful Day is from 1980. Brian forgets stuff... a lot. Freddie's voice definitely sounds like it's from later on, but not too late. He still has the husky voice from the smoking, so it could be as late as the Works or Magic time period, but no later.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Lemmy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 44 posts

Posted: 02 Dec 05, 06:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Maybe they re-recorded IABD...
As for the 'Yeah' bit, I know I've already heard it somewhere else than at the end of IABD.
Anybody have a clue?

take it to 11
Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 02 Dec 05, 07:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ah... the IABD vocal query appears again. But it's being disputed again?

Listen, the folks saying it's 1980 are correct. Not just because it was confirmed by Greg, but also because months before that confirmation I was certain it was from the Game sessions.
Brian then talked about how they discovered the demo that Freddie had done and it was a nice surprise.

I sat and listened to the quality of the voice, the recording's sonical properties and it fit what I started thinking. I originally thought it was something new from the last sessions. But once we all started figuring out where everything came from for the MIH sessions, I paid attention to IABD.

And I still hold the same feeling that I can guarantee it's definitely from the early 1980 period. Then because the dispute was still going, someone emailed Brian's site and Greg pops up a few months later telling us it's Freddie's Vox (short for vocals in recording terms) from The Game sessions.

For me, the deciding factor is listening to Freddie in the Game sessions, The Miracle sessions and then the Innuendo sessions. The comparison will allow you to hear the breakdown that occurs from the things that affect the way something was recorded and the way Freddie sounded at any particular time. Listen to those alone and you should get a clear idea of what matches IABD, too.

Peace,
Adam.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 02 Dec 05, 21:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Indeed the voice sounds quite similar to 1-3 years after Jazz, nice open-throat for the high notes as in Don't Stop Me but of course a little darker. His voice in that period was brilliant, no wonder why they put it as opening track.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
bitesthedust user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3242 posts

Posted: 03 Dec 05, 06:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

in terms of Mother Love, Brian recorded the last lines after Freddie's death as he hadn't finished the vocals (obviously)...

whether it was 1991 or 1994-1995 I don't know.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 03 Dec 05, 11:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well there's the thing. Brian might have already done stuff for Mother Love before Freddie recorded his parts - so it could have been done before.
However, as Brian puts it, in those days they were basically writing anything down they had, just getting Freddie to sing whatever they could get him to sing so maybe they didn't even have a last verse ready for him when he became too ill to sing anymore. Who knows.

IABD is definitely 1980. It just... sounds like it. Compare it with "Is Everybody Happy" or "Dog with a Bone". Those two (87, 88, whenever they were done) give you a good idea of where his voice was at in demos at that time. Then go and listen to stuff from 1980. It just fits.

To address the initial list posted... it'd be fair to say that A Winter's Tale also has Brian and Roger on it from '94, '95 because they had to do the harmonies. But it's a minor nitpick.

I had heard the last stuff for Mother Love was done very shortly (a matter of weeks) before Freddie died. But I've had other people try to tell me his last recordings were in MAY! (haha, yeah right...)

Does anyone *know* for certain?

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 03 Dec 05, 11:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I do. His last recordings were done in September - October 1991. "May" rumour came from Champions Of The World documentary.