Forums > Personal > Urgent/Bad News To People Of Queenzone About Me

forum rss feed
Author

doremi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5193 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Nov 05, 12:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Since the USA tour was just announced, I want to inform everyone on QZ why while I am thrilled that the band is coming here, why I can NOT go, and why I do not own collectibles, etc..since you all always ask.

Most of you know that I am 44 years old, my father died whwn I was 7 years old and I took care of, was the care taker and financial supporter my disabled widowed mother until my 30's when she passed away.

I never had any savings and was downsized from my job this past winter, my unemployment benefits ran out a while back, and I just filed 2 weeks ago, chapter 7 bankruptcy.

I rent ONE room in a slumy house, with no kitchen or laundry, eat all my food (whatever I can afford) out and do my laundry at a laundromat.

For the first time in my life, I did NOT pay and hd NO money for the November rent, I don't have the December rent, I have no money in the bank, I work temp jobs...

...and here's the lowdown about why I can't get a job.

I daily send out resumes, go on job interviews and apply in person putting in job applications....

......But....Every job I have applied for from waitress to corporate to journalist, nowadays, all jobs run criminal background checks on you..which I pass..

they all run drug checks on you..which I pass...

and...they all run Credit Checks...on you...which I keep FLUNKING,........

....even for the lowliest waitress or retail or burger flipping job. So I can't get myself out of the hole I keep going deeper in.

FYI....Because I am NOT disabled, and have NO children I do NOT qualify for any social services state or federal gov't. assistance, or assistance from ANY and ALL charities including the Jewish Family Services here (I'm Jewish) or any church, or Associated Catholic Charities.

If I don't pay rent soon, I will be evicted and living in my car.

All of my family is dead and when they were living, I SUPPORTED them, so there is no one to help me, even temporarily to help get me out of this fix.

My 3 closest friends all are having their own financial troubles and moved in with family so they cannot help me.

So...I may or may not be on this board too much longer as my car payment is due and I don't have the money for that.

I have an everning telemarketing job that is temporary and that runs out on 12/6/05 and just barely buys me food and gas.

I am very scared and do NOT know what to do.

xyz

Posted: 28 Nov 05, 12:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color = "crimson">ThomasQuinn wrote:

How about if all us QZ-ers chip in and buy you a ticket? Or the rent or something?

That is very sweet and thoughtful of you to even think of that.

Right now, all I want is a safe roof ( I HATE the slum I live in but it is all I can afford) over my head,...

....and to keep my car (I do NOT live on public transportation and my car is the only way I can get to food, the laundramat, job interviews, hopefully even get a full time job, get to the library to send emailed resumes, do some writing jobs)

BTW, this board is one of the few last enjoyments I have and has kept me sane and from thinking about my problems.

The local hospital down the road had a FREE blood pressure screening they held HERE at the library for people with no health insurance and I have always had low blood pressure.

Well, now I have been told I have borderline high blood pressure. Surely from stress and not eating any healthy proper food for a year now.

I also have GAINED 50 pound in one year because the only thing I eat is bread and bananas that I keep in my car and the occasional $1 McDonalds double cheeseburger (which might as well be a day's worth of calories, carbs, and cholestoral, a death sandwich). I never ate fast food in my life until this year.

xyz
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 28 Nov 05, 12:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I feel very sorry to hear about you situation Arlene.

I don't know where you're living right now, but maybe there are low job opportunities where you live. Do you think that maybe you'll get a better chance somewhere else. I know it's always a risk to leave everything behind and moving somewhere else, but sometimes the effort pays off.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]

Posted: 28 Nov 05, 13:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles wrote:

I feel very sorry to hear about you situation Arlene.

I don't know where you're living right now, but maybe there are low job opportunities where you live. Do you think that maybe you'll get a better chance somewhere else. I know it's always a risk to leave everything behind and moving somewhere else, but sometimes the effort pays off.

I could care less about Maryland and would be HAPPY to leave for a decent job.

My resumes are on Monster.com as well as the ones I send, and I have NO problem relocating ANYWHERE, and have already been applying for jobs nationwide...and even in...the UK (the UK ones for journalism).

Even though I have TWO college degrees, I have been applying in person for ccok, waitress, dishwasher, and maid jobs..that you see hispanics and illegal immigrants working..so I figured they would not care to run a Credit Check on me...but...they ALL run Credit Checks on me.

.....Jeez, when did this start becoming a regular practice in the job world??????!!!!!

I NEVER had a credit check run on me in my entire life for ANY job, corporate or working class.

None of the jobs I have applied for are working around cash handling. It's not like I'm going to steal the profits just because I filed Bankruptcy.

Anyways, EVERY time you hear of someone embezzling tons of money, it's some RICH corporate executive at places lieke Enron or Worldcom and they are RICH already and they still steal/embezzle money.

My attorney, did my bankruptcy case PRO BONO since I had no funds to pay him. I went through Baltimore, Maryland's Volunteer Legal Services who made this a Pro Bono case but I still had to pay the COURT costs of $209, my last savings.

xyz
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 28 Nov 05, 13:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Would it be possible for you to get a job at the library you frequent?

My sympathies regardless - if you ever need anything, the people at QZ are more than willing to help out, I'm sure.

PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 28 Nov 05, 13:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Damn. Sorry to hear about the situation that you are in. Hope you manage to find a job soon.

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 28 Nov 05, 13:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Arlene, it seems like what's stopping from getting better opportunities is your credit score.

Have you ever tried talking to a social worker about this?

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 28 Nov 05, 13:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would give you some money if you want?
I hate seeing people in this kind of situtions.
I'm so sorry to hear this.

PieterMC

Posted: 28 Nov 05, 13:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I didn't think a fast food restaurant would require a credit check. Afterall they hire teenagers, who obviously would not have good credit.

Posted: 28 Nov 05, 13:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles wrote:

Arlene, it seems like what's stopping from getting better opportunities is your credit score.

Have you ever tried talking to a social worker about this?

YES!!!!!! and Consumer Credit Counseling.

I only JUST filed Bankruptcy, which due to the crappy changes in the law that our idiot President Bush made go into effect 10/17/2005, It stays on your credit report for 10 years...will NOT come off..

....it is ILLEGAL, when you see those so called agencies that claim that they can ''improve'' your score or get you a home mortgage (through illegal flipping which gets YOU in trouble and you still don't get your home or they sell you a home that is illegal to buy because it's dangerous and didn't pass hoem inspection due to structural damage, lead paint..that's what flipping is).

Even things like BABYSITTING ask for Credit Checks now. Unreal.

Plus remember like I said I just filed 2 actually 3 weeks ago. I just went to my meeting with the BK Trustee Court Nov 10, and even THEN...I have to wait to see if it clears, and if that happens, it does not clear until approx. the end of February 2006.

xyz
Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 28 Nov 05, 13:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sounds like a catch 22. You can't improve your credit score without a job, and you can't get a job without a decent credit score. Don't quite get that. I've never had a credit check run on me for a job...seems weird...:-S

Posted: 28 Nov 05, 13:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PieterMC wrote:

I didn't think a fast food restaurant would require a credit check. Afterall they hire teenagers, who obviously would not have good credit.

Well McDonals and Burger King asked for a Credit Check.

Like I said, I don't understand what the deal is because I have intentionally applied for dishwashing, cook, busgirl fast food, maid jobs that I see hispanics and Illegal immigrants working in, and I KNOW they have NO credit, in fact NO Social Security Number, because they are illegal, yet THEY get hired.

But EVERY job I go to asks for my social security number and makes me sign a 2-3 page Credit Check agreement.

xyz
PieterMC

Posted: 28 Nov 05, 13:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That amazes me that you need to pass a credit check for fast food place. That just seems insane if you ask me.

Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 28 Nov 05, 13:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wonder if this is just something done on a state by state basis?

Posted: 28 Nov 05, 13:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Erin wrote:

Sounds like a catch 22. You can't improve your credit score without a job, and you can't get a job without a decent credit score. Don't quite get that. I've never had a credit check run on me for a job...seems weird...:-S

BINGO..Excatly... Catch 22...

....which I have discussed IN DETAIL with my Pro Bono Attorney and with the Trustee at The Bankruptcy meeting of Creditors Hearing and they said you can thank President Bush for that with the NEW laws regarding bankruptcy and laos regarding employment ...the Credit Check requirements..and...

...(Bush will NOT raise the minimum wage to a livable wage either and keeps vetoing Cogress's request for a raise. The Minimum Wage has not been increased in like 8 years!)

xyz
John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts

Posted: 28 Nov 05, 13:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry to hear about your mess Arlene. (You could always post your picture and find a rich QZ husband! lol!!!)

Is that really true?

You can NOT get a job in the US with a bad credit rating?

Here in the UK, a credit rating has nothing whatsoever to do with a person's employability (nor should it!).

Infact, I think most employers would ideally be looking for a poor credit rating, as it would tie you to your job longer.

I really hope things work out.

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."

Posted: 28 Nov 05, 13:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John S Stuart wrote:

Sorry to hear about your mess Arlene. (You could always post your picture and find a rich QZ husband! lol!!!)

Is that really true?

You can NOT get a job in the US with a bad credit rating?

Here in the UK, a credit rating has nothing whatsoever to do with a person's employability (nor should it!).

Infact, I think most employers would ideally be looking for a poor credit rating, as it would tie you to your job longer.

I really hope things work out.

Yes...and my credit was BAD, LONG before I filed bankruptcy because my income sucked from low paying jobs, then being on unemployment because i was downsized from my job, then piling up credit card debt...just to pay me rent, food, soap, medicine, etc.

As I said before, this was NOT ever the case until the last few years when Pres. Bush allowed employers to what I would call, discriminate against people.

That's like Bush and the Supreme Court CHANGING for the FIRST time in the USA's history, the eminent domain law this yea, where any big ass corporate developer can FORCE you to relinquich your home/land, ven if it's PAID for, so they can build something else on it.

Also, Bush is TRYING to get another Horrible law passed for the first time here in the USA.

In the USA, one GREAT incentive to OWNING your own home as opposed to renting (besides of course not having a landlord and owning it), is that the LAW heer is ALL homeowners get a TAX CREDIT DEDUCTION on their yearly USA Federal income tax return for the property taxes thay pay on their home and the interest they pay on their mortageges.

Press. Bush is trying to have Congress DO AWAY with that Tax Credit, making it MUCH harder to own a home, which not only is obviously safer and better for a homeowner as oppsed to a renter, but, it's GOOD for the ECONOMY when people have more ability and incentives to buy a home. Now that incentive is about to be abolished.

This thread is NOT about Bush...but, his laws have made every day working class people like me...poverty level.

This Thanksgiving, they showed the big dinner that a big baltimore charity hosts for the homeless, and out Mayor said that he was APPALLED that like 50 percent of the people that showed up..were not typical homeless people like alcoholics or drug addicts, but...

...were people just like ME...working class people that either were living in slums or hoemless, who WORK or who were DOWNSIZED from jobs...who can not afford FOOD.

xyz
carboengine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1283 posts

Posted: 28 Nov 05, 13:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dear Arlene, I am so sorry to hear of your dire situation. I have always enjoyed your Queenzone posts. I have fallen through the cracks many times in my life, and I find looking for a job to be one of the most depressing things ever. Food shelves are helpful if there are any around you, and their qualifications usually are minimal - not the usual social service stuff. Sometimes all you need is proof that you live in their city/county, but I don't know what goes on in your State. You mentioned you are Jewish, but Jewish charities can't help you. Can you go and see Rabbi(s) at any of the synagogues in your area, whether you are a member there or not, and plead, plead, plead for a family or a group to sponsor you for a year? So many people are willing to open their hearts to complete strangers - look at the Katrina response (at least the great non-governnmental response, that is.) Does your county have a mental health division? With your stress I would think you would qualify for a mental health social worker even if you didn't qualify for their formal social services. A mental health social worker should at least know of resources. I didn't know employers looked at credit ratings as a background check. That is absolutely shitty! ... and frightening! I am curious - what are your degrees in, and what city do you live in? I am very worried about you.

Love,

carboengine

P.S. I just looked at your blog page and found some answers to my questions.

Yes, it was a worthwhile experience.
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 28 Nov 05, 14:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry to hear, Arlene! I have spent almost all my money for a forthcoming trip to Switzerland (last dream which should have time to be carried out), though I'm not sure if I could helped you anyway.

Credit ratings? Some of US laws seems strange at least... Thanks God our Russian economy in such bad condition (although it's the second largest European economy after Germany), that such ratings (and other things you wrote about) are not necessary to us (sad, but true!).

Posted: 28 Nov 05, 14:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

carboengine wrote:

Dear Arlene, I am so sorry to hear of your dire situation. I have always enjoyed your Queenzone posts. I have fallen through the cracks many times in my life, and I find looking for a job to be one of the most depressing things ever. Food shelves are helpful if there are any around you, and their qualifications usually are minimal - not the usual social service stuff. Sometimes all you need is proof that you live in their city/county, but I don't know what goes on in your State. You mentioned you are Jewish, but Jewish charities can't help you. Can you go and see Rabbi(s) at any of the synagogues in your area, whether you are a member there or not, and plead, plead, plead for a family or a group to sponsor you for a year? So many people are willing to open their hearts to complete strangers - look at the Katrina response (at least the great non-governnmental response, that is.) Does your county have a mental health division? With your stress I would think you would qualify for a mental health social worker even if you didn't qualify for their formal social services. A mental health social worker should at least know of resources. I didn't know employers looked at credit ratings as a background check. That is absolutely shitty! ... and frightening! I am curious - what are your degrees in, and what city do you live in? I am very worried about you.

Love,

carboengine

I live in Baltimore County, Maryland.

I have a Bachelors Degree 1983 in English.

I have a Second Bachelors Degree 1985 In Communications.

And when you hear me piss off about my religion, this is another reason. When I was a CHILD, my MOM used to go to Jewish Family Services and the Associated Jewish Charities and they offered NOTHING, no food, no counseling, no emergency food funds, clothing ZIP...

..and it is WORSE now. One of my friends who I told you is also in financial trouble and living with family, her husband has CANCER, and Jewish Family Services would not help her either, and they will NOT help me.

They usually only help Jewish immigrants from other nations settling in the USA, and YES they help them find a job, help them get a home or apartment WITHOUT CREDIT, but they won't help ME, who is a Jew who is FOURTH generation USA citizen who has paid taxes my entire life and worked my entire life since I was 14 years old!

Churches are also no help. No matter what denomination church I have gone to, all they do is try to convert me and give me lectures about religion and offer no help.

Every private charity and every State/Federal social service organization I have called..and YES, I HAVE called them all, will only help you if you have a child/children, elderly, or disabled.

In effect, if you have no children and are between the ages of 21 and 65, the system here in the USA says that your life has NO value and ther will NOT help you, even though your life does have value and in my case, I have been a working, tax paying citizen my entire life and it is MY taxed that PAY to FEED and CLOTHE and HOUSE Welfare mothers with half a dozen illegitamate children, drug addicts, and illegal aliens.

My taxes help THEM. But the system will NOT help me.

I also have NO health insurance and MOST full time jobs here in the states, ALL my life Always HAD health insurance.

Now 90 percent of ALL full time jobs do NOT offer health insurance any longer. Just one majoe illness or surgery could make you homeless from the medical bills..plus..MOST medical facilities and dosctors will NOT see me/a person if you do NOT have health insurance.

So I get terrified if I even get a flu or cold, because if it gets worse or I need a doctor or antibiotic, I am screwed.

xyz