Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Has John ever said anything during a concert?

forum rss feed
Author

j0ck3 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 155 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Nov 05, 17:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I remember him saying a few words on the Tribute Concert. He also used to sing along in the harmonies. Except from this, has John ever said anything during a Queen concert?

vinny2256_ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 119 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 05, 19:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He never sang with queen live i dont think. the mic was just there for symmetry.

PainPleasure user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 650 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 05, 19:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

vinny2256_ wrote:

He never sang with queen live i dont think. the mic was just there for symmetry.

for the 4000 time, John sang on some concerts...

Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 05, 20:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've seen this picture of the tribute concert where Brian, Roger and John are standing in front of microphones and they seem to be singing. Since I only have the DVD of the show, I don't know what happens in that part (it only features briefly in the intro). What is happening in this particular part?

Wiley

Sherwood Forest user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3547 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 05, 20:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

during The Tribute Concert he was talking
but it kinda sounded like Brian and Roger were making him Brian was like and John has something to say too- something like that

One should ANALize the Poetry on page 43, when Oedipus is rollin' in his benzo and he has to bust a cap on some flagrants in the under city

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/image/essay/1
liam user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 596 posts

Posted: 30 Nov 05, 23:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yeh and everyone cheered loudest for john when he talked, that made me happy.

Go, Go, Go, little queenie!!
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 05, 08:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Hello, first of all, Brian, Roger and myself would like to thank all the artists who are performing here today, in London, and they've given their time and energy to make this tribute to Freddie a reality, and to happen today. First of all, the show must go on, and we'll start with an American band, three times Grammy award winners, will you please welcome Metallica!"

A Word In Your Ear user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1789 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 05, 08:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

vinny2256_ wrote:

Yes he did, here's the GA GA proof!!!!

http://rapidshare.de/files/3403533/John_Deacon.mp3.html

Don't shun it, Fun it!!!

Joyful the sound
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 05, 09:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It could be Spike Edney

A Word In Your Ear user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1789 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 05, 09:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry, i've seen Spike Edney with the SAS band sing lead vocals & he actually sings in tune. Also Spike sings backing vocals (in tune) on the 2005 tour. so I tend to think it's John, (I could be wrong though.) It could be Spike having a bad day.

Don't Shun it, Fun it!!!

Joyful the sound
its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 05, 10:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A Word In Your Ear wrote:

vinny2256_ wrote:

Yes he did, here's the GA GA proof!!!!

http://rapidshare.de/files/3403533/John_Deacon.mp3.html

Don't shun it, Fun it!!!

Fuck man he's erm, well, errrrrh, i cant say...

Ready_Coddie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 198 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 05, 11:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

my first post here...

if you remember the concert - Live at the rainbow 1974 (will host it if ya want), he sings in the song 'Lair'

Freddie Mercury

*** 1946 - Forever in our hearts ***
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 05, 12:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For the 1002nd time, that Milano 84 mp3 is Spike singing! John's voice isn't nearly so high. Just because John is at the mic doesn't mean he's actually singing! The only time John ever sang live was duringo Somebody To Love on the A Day At The Races tour. That's IT. Nothing more.

But to answer the original question: The only time I've heard John *say* anything during a Queen concert is on the Houston 77 soundboard. He is the first one to say "thank you" after the band play Bohemian Rhapsody.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
mystic_rhythms user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 448 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 05, 12:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As it was mentioned earlier, John is heard on some live performances of Liar. During the "all day long" part, I remember hearing that John's voice can be heard pretty clearly, can someone confirm this?

We can only grow the way the wind blows

On a bare and weathered shore

We can only bow to the here and now

In our elemental war

- Rush, "The Way The Wind Blows"
chewing gum bum user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 134 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 05, 12:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ah, the mystery continues on John and his voice. Johns' mic was "live" during concerts but probably kept lower than the others' mics. Roger used it during the acoustic sets and a video of the band in South America has Freddie using it when his own mic cut out on him. I've seen them twice and he never uttered a word at those gigs.

Vulcan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 37 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 05, 12:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

me_and_my_innuendo wrote:

As it was mentioned earlier, John is heard on some live performances of Liar. During the "all day long" part, I remember hearing that John's voice can be heard pretty clearly, can someone confirm this?

Yeah, that's right. I've just seen it on RARE LIVE. He's singing over Fred's shoulder - definately the Deakster!

Peace

Jim

The Real Wizard

Posted: 01 Dec 05, 12:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Never. I've heard over 100 recordings of Liar through the years, and John has never once sang in the song. It's just Fred, Bri, and Rog.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 05, 13:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

*sigh* there are NO clear recordings of John singing. And yes he did sing very rarely on concerts, but the volume was always very low. You can only hear him a bit in mid 70's recordings of Somebody to Love where he sings in the acapella part

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 05, 14:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If you listen carefully, you can hear John sing on many parts during the Earls Court 1977 show.

For example, he does backing vocals on In The Lap Of The Gods...Revisited. First, you can hear Freddie, Brian and Roger. And eventually, you can see John walk to the microphone and he joins them. At that moment, you can hear a 4th voice singing, it's John.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

The Real Wizard

Posted: 01 Dec 05, 23:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<B><font color=salmon>:Dust:Biter:</B> wrote:

Sir GH<br><h6>ah yeah</h6> wrote:

Never. I've heard over 100 recordings of Liar through the years, and John has never once sang in the song. It's just Fred, Bri, and Rog.

So are you saying that John is pretending to sing into Freddie's microphone?

Most of the time, yes.

<font color=green>Rick wrote:

If you listen carefully, you can hear John sing on many parts during the Earls Court 1977 show.

For example, he does backing vocals on In The Lap Of The Gods...Revisited. First, you can hear Freddie, Brian and Roger. And eventually, you can see John walk to the microphone and he joins them. At that moment, you can hear a 4th voice singing, it's John.

Whooooooooa, you certainly may be right. For years, I've been hoping Brian's voice didn't sound this bad, and now I can be happy that it's not, as I now think you're right - it's John.