Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Queen album with the best drum sound?

forum rss feed
Author

Fairlight user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 2 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Nov 05, 19:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok, here´s one just for freaks:

Which studio album has the best drum sound?
What do you think? And why?

I´d prefer "The Game" . Listen to "Dragon Attack", it sounds so fresh and close, because Mack did approach a totally different way of recording than RTB or the engineers in British studios of the 70s.

Strangely, all Roger Talor solo albums (except "Fun In Space") have a rather non-spectacular drum sound.

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2390 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 05, 03:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For me the best sound is on the classic 'A night at the opera'In particular on 'You're my best friend'

The roll from floor toms to high toms is wonderful and totally captures the depth of the toms.

The early albums are all great but ANATO get it for me, however, I also love the sound on Jazz, totally different, yet fits with the album.

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
AmeriQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1072 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 05, 04:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow, you stumped me! Great topic!

Queen 1 comes to mind. I am thinking of both the bad ass ending to 'Great King Rat' and the opening to 'Liar'.

'The Game' is certainly a possibility for the reasons already mentioned.

'The Miracle' is another superior job by Roger.

Ultimately, his best work to me would be 'Fun In Space'

If all releases count, I will go with 'Return of the Champions' which features the best drum solo I have ever heard, besides two nights before when he went crazy in Birmingham.

AmeriQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1072 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 05, 04:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh yeah, 'I Cry For You' off of Strange Frontier is pretty damned awesome as well!

chewing gum bum user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 134 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 05, 08:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm torn between Queen II and News of the World.
Something about the sound of the drums on those two albums that gets me. I've been trying to achieve those tones on recordings I've done for years. The way the mics were positioned plays a big part in his sound.

HyP user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 115 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 05, 19:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fairlight wrote:

I´d prefer "The Game" . Listen to "Dragon Attack", it sounds so fresh and close, because Mack did approach a totally different way of recording than RTB or the engineers in British studios of the 70s.

Strangely, all Roger Talor solo albums (except "Fun In Space") have a rather non-spectacular drum sound.

I think you're right with THE GAME. It was the way he mic'ed the drums. Each mic had it's own EQ as well, so he just "ducked" the unwanted noise out of each mic. Pretty fricking genius at the time!!!

Sebastian user is on Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts

Posted: 01 Dec 05, 20:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A Night At The Opera and Sheer Heart Attack: very good mix on Brighton Rock.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
goodco user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 371 posts

Posted: 02 Dec 05, 01:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh, if only 'Jazz' had the 'Brighton Rock' and SHA drum sound mix....(drooling like Homer Simpson around doughnuts!!!)

"Ladies and gentlemen... I guess that takes in most of you..." Groucho Marx, 'A Night at the Opera'

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2390 posts

Posted: 02 Dec 05, 04:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

HyPressure wrote:

Fairlight wrote:

I think you're right with THE GAME. It was the way he mic'ed the drums. Each mic had it's own EQ as well, so he just "ducked" the unwanted noise out of each mic. Pretty fricking genius at the time!!!

Not wishingto nit pick, but as far back as the 70's he would have had pretty much that option, by the time of The Game 1980 the control desks were certainly better but apart from more option EQ in each channel was available long before 1980.

Type of mic and placement has as much if not more to do with final sound.

In 1984 I went into the BBC Scotland studios for the first time and had the luxury of being able to experiement with diffent mics and different placments for recording, this went on for four days the first time and by the end we had a whole range of different sounds from the same kit.

By 1990 I had recorded several times and each time we probably spent more time trying to get a good drum sound before anything else, the best one was ALWAYS the one with little EQ but careful placement and choice of mics.

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
OgreBattleField1980 user not visiting Queenzone.com
OgreBattleField1980
Bohemian: 503 posts

Posted: 02 Dec 05, 10:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like A day at the races and innuendos drum sound

Ogre Battle Lives FOREVER MORE!