Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Somewhere in the Middle - Innuendo

forum rss feed
Author

salQF user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 25 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Dec 05, 19:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm just wondering if anyone can provide some info on the guitar solo on Innuendo which is as far as I know called 'Somewhere in the Middle'.

I'd just like to know who the original artist was, if any guitar tablature/ recording exists anywhere and so on.

Ta.

jcrawford79 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 762 posts

Posted: 03 Dec 05, 19:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

None called Somewhere in the Middle. I'm not sure if you are referencing the song or the album but if you're talking about the album, the song is called Bijou. If you're talking about the song, the flamenco part was played the guy from Yes (Steve Howe, I think is his name) and the rest was played by Brian.

Posted: 03 Dec 05, 19:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In reply to the rest of your question, these are the original versions. They were written by members of Queen. I've never seen any tabs for them but I'm sure they are around somewhere.

Posted: 03 Dec 05, 19:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.e-chords.com/cifra/idmusica/3449.htm

Here's a link for the chords in Innuendo but I couldn't find tabs.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 05, 13:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jcrawford79 wrote:

None called Somewhere in the Middle. I'm not sure if you are referencing the song or the album but if you're talking about the album, the song is called Bijou. If you're talking about the song, the flamenco part was played the guy from Yes (Steve Howe, I think is his name) and the rest was played by Brian.

"I think is his name" ... ?

How about, the brilliant guitarist from Yes and Asia who, from a technical perspective, is a much better guitarist than Brian May ?

Tastes are tastes, but Howe is by far a better guitarist. But May is still my favourite.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca

Posted: 04 Dec 05, 14:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH<br><h6>ah yeah</h6> wrote:

jcrawford79 wrote:

"I think is his name" ... ?

How about, the brilliant guitarist from Yes and Asia who, from a technical perspective, is a much better guitarist than Brian May ?

Tastes are tastes, but Howe is by far a better guitarist. But May is still my favourite.

I'm not really sure how to reply to this. I must've been misleading in my post. I know absolutely nothing about Steve Howe so I certainly didn't mean to imply that he's a lesser guitarist. I was only attempting to answer a question. Sorry for the apparently misleading statement.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 04 Dec 05, 14:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jcrawford79 wrote:

I'm not really sure how to reply to this. I must've been misleading in my post. I know absolutely nothing about Steve Howe so I certainly didn't mean to imply that he's a lesser guitarist. I was only attempting to answer a question. Sorry for the apparently misleading statement.

No worries, my friend. :)

But if you're interested in rock music fused with classical, you like vocal harmonies, and you appreciate top quality musicianship, then Yes may certainly be a band you would enjoy. In many ways, they influenced the early Queen sound.

Particularly, the song "I've Seen All Good People" is clearly what inspired Doing All Right, both in terms of chords and structure (slow and fast parts).

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

Posted: 04 Dec 05, 14:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm almost embarassed to admit this but the reason I've never listened to Yes or Asia is because the only songs I know are Owner of a Lonely Heart and Heat of the Moment and they seem a little to "poppy" for me. But I know that's pathetic, kinda like saying I don't really like Queen because Body Language sucks. Hold on, isn't Roundabout by Yes?? I do know that song. And its pretty incredible....great bass line. Anyway, I will have to give them a listen.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 04 Dec 05, 14:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh dear, those are the poppy things! Although that's great stuff, it's nothing like their progressive stuff in the 70s.

Get the Fragile, Close To The Edge, Relayer, and Going For The One albums to start! Indeed, Roundabout is on Fragile. If you like Roundabout, then you'll probably like much of their other 70s stuff.

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 05, 14:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't want to derail this thread, but considering it is Queen related, then I'm not too concerned. Check out Fragile, Close To The Edge, Relayer, Going For The One, and even Tormato and Drama by Yes - all spectacular albums before they became "pop" with 90125 (or 90215, I can't remember). Surprisingly, it was Tormato that got me into Yes, although it could be considered their Jazz - not really a good place to start, but hey, whatever works.

edit: damn you, Bob! Great minds think alike, I guess.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 04 Dec 05, 14:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

lol @ Lester!!

Jcrawford: I swear, we didn't correspond before posting!!

Lester, I remember your email, and I promise, I will get to it!!

Posted: 04 Dec 05, 14:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That's funny. I should buy the CDs today because that was apparently a sign from above!

Posted: 04 Dec 05, 15:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

lol @ Lester!!

Jcrawford: I swear, we didn't correspond before posting!!

Lester, I remember your email, and I promise, I will get to it!!

Alrighty, I just wasn't sure if that email address was the right one or not - take your time!

Boy Thomas Raker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 969 posts

Posted: 04 Dec 05, 21:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester, do you love Release, Release on Tormato? I think that my be the most joyous keyboard playing I've heard in my life. Brilliant stuff.

You know, good times are now.

Posted: 04 Dec 05, 21:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes (hurr), I'm a huge fan of 'Release Release', though I think my favorite off that album is 'Future Times / Rejoice'. In fact, the only two songs I can't stand are 'Madrigal' and 'Circus Of Heaven'. There's nothing like the bass work in 'Arriving UFO', though - Chris Squire is simply amazing.

The Real Wizard

Posted: 04 Dec 05, 23:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester Burnham wrote:

Yes (hurr), I'm a huge fan of 'Release Release', though I think my favorite off that album is 'Future Times / Rejoice'. In fact, the only two songs I can't stand are 'Madrigal' and 'Circus Of Heaven'. There's nothing like the bass work in 'Arriving UFO', though - Chris Squire is simply amazing.

Ah man, I love the whole album. The keys in Circus are soooooo pretty. But yeah, Release Release is probably the strongest track on that one, I think.

groover user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 83 posts

Posted: 05 Dec 05, 00:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jcrawford79 wrote:

No worries, my friend. :)

But if you're interested in rock music fused with classical, you like vocal harmonies, and you appreciate top quality musicianship, then Yes may certainly be a band you would enjoy. In many ways, they influenced the early Queen sound.

Particularly, the song "I've Seen All Good People" is clearly what inspired Doing All Right, both in terms of chords and structure (slow and fast parts).

Are you sure about that? Ive Seen All Good People was released commercially in 1971. Wasnt Doin' All Right written b4 then.

I'm a huge fan of both. However, I have never thought the two bands were remotely similar.

groover user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 83 posts

Posted: 05 Dec 05, 00:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester Burnham wrote:

I don't want to derail this thread, but considering it is Queen related, then I'm not too concerned. Check out Fragile, Close To The Edge, Relayer, Going For The One, and even Tormato and Drama by Yes - all spectacular albums before they became "pop" with 90125 (or 90215, I can't remember). Surprisingly, it was Tormato that got me into Yes, although it could be considered their Jazz - not really a good place to start, but hey, whatever works.

edit: damn you, Bob! Great minds think alike, I guess.

I always considered Drama to be Yes' "Hot Space"

newcastle 86! 16483 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 639 posts

Posted: 05 Dec 05, 20:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

what a load of tosh!'doin all right' influenced by yes?
my god i suppose 'wonderous stories' influenced 'i was born to love you'

martinjkstones
The Real Wizard

Posted: 06 Dec 05, 11:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

groover wrote:

Are you sure about that? Ive Seen All Good People was released commercially in 1971. Wasnt Doin' All Right written b4 then.

I'm a huge fan of both. However, I have never thought the two bands were remotely similar.

Hmm, you're right... it was already a Smile song. Hahaha, my bad!

But let's not forget that Queen played many of their earliest concerts with Yes. Yes had put out "The Yes Album", and Queen were a nothing band. Yes' musicality surely influenced Queen in some way.