Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Delilah

forum rss feed
Author

Sherwood Forest user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3547 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Dec 05, 22:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

everytime i hear this song i shake my head in pitty. In his final years was Fred getting mentally ill or something- im sorry but i had to say it. Go ahead say what u want about what i said but i had to see if someone ever thought this too

One should ANALize the Poetry on page 43, when Oedipus is rollin' in his benzo and he has to bust a cap on some flagrants in the under city

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/image/essay/1
its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 10 Dec 05, 22:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Erm i just think he loved this cat so much and if you read about it he LOVED his cats he would talk down the phone to them and when one of them died he would get on the next plain and make a funiral. I guess it could be from the illness but i'm not sure, all i know is that he adored his cats he treated them like family and i find that so cute :)

Shane Jazz user not visiting Queenzone.com
Shane Jazz
Bohemian: 687 posts

Posted: 10 Dec 05, 22:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I always thought the placement of Delilah was what did it in. If it had been used as a B-side only, it would be looked upon more favorably as a moment of indulgent whimsey. It would be viewed perhaps as more charming. But being placed on Queen's final masterpiece, it is naturally bound to be looked at as inferior to what surrounds it. Take it out of the tracklisting and replace it with Lost Opportunity or New Dark Ages, and as a b-side it wouldn't be taken so seriously.

Man Made Paradise

Posted: 10 Dec 05, 22:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

its_a_hard_life. wrote:

Erm i just think he loved this cat so much and if you read about it he LOVED his cats he would talk down the phone to them and when one of them died he would get on the next plain and make a funiral. I guess it could be from the illness but i'm not sure, all i know is that he adored his cats he treated them like family and i find that so cute :)

i think its cute too but the fact that song made the cut for songs going onto Innuendo blows my mind they must have been desperate for songs for that CD or something, i understand he loved his cats but how did he make a song like that for them??? idk its my opinion i guess- ive never really dissed Queen or anything about Freddie before but sorry this song blows my mind

One should ANALize the Poetry on page 43, when Oedipus is rollin' in his benzo and he has to bust a cap on some flagrants in the under city

Forever88 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Forever88
Royalty: 1465 posts

Posted: 10 Dec 05, 22:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Whats wrong with saying goodbye to his cat before he died.

Nonono, you don't understand, that is NOT why I have this gerbil!

Posted: 10 Dec 05, 23:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

nothing i just didnt think he would do in song form-
like is it like he wants us to know hes saying goodbye with his cat, i think thats sweet and i like that aspect of the song just not the song itself

Aura Marina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 61 posts

Posted: 11 Dec 05, 00:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You have childs?

I'm not, because I don't Like childs.
I have 3 cats, they are my babys and I love them like my childs. like Freddie.
I love that song, because I understand that lyrics.
You don't like the song, thats ok!

Sorry, for my bad english

amarina

THE SHOW MUST GO ON!
Dharankanawala user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 188 posts

Posted: 11 Dec 05, 01:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

its_a_hard_life. wrote:

Exactly.
Anyone who questions the meaning of Delilah can hardly call themselves a Freddie fan,dear;)

"My soul is painted like the wings on butterflies...Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die...I can fly, my friends." FM
Freya is quietly judging you. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Meh.
Freya is quietly judging you.
Deity: 5913 posts

Posted: 11 Dec 05, 07:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JamieSureWould wrote:

nothing i just didnt think he would do in song form-
like is it like he wants us to know hes saying goodbye with his cat, i think thats sweet and i like that aspect of the song just not the song itself

I agree it's a nice thought but a crap song.

MelinaMercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 358 posts

Posted: 11 Dec 05, 07:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Exactly.
Anyone who questions the meaning of Delilah can hardly call themselves a Freddie fan,dear;)

I agree with that..!

Everyone has there wishes to do certain things before they pass over. And that was one of freddies..!

X

"If you want your soul to find peace, go to Montreux." - Freddie Mercury

Posted: 11 Dec 05, 10:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the_hero wrote:

at least he was original to write a song for his cat. You don't see that very often.. besides they had to write a lot so they could record it as Freddie was feeling very ill. So maybe the lyrics weren't well thought, but he liked it so much he thought it should be recorded.

i already said i respect the song in THAT sense- the sense being he wrote it from the bottom of his heart for the things that meant the most in his life in a way to say bye to them- BUT IN THE SONG SENSE IT SUCKS. thats it, i guess that makes me not a real "Freddie Fan" to you all which is the stupidest thing i ever heard so right think what u want thats a laugh and a half

Posted: 11 Dec 05, 11:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thank you very muchhh
there will always be some aspects of Freddie or Queen itself that u dont like as much as the rest and thats one of them for me, nothings perfect

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 11 Dec 05, 11:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love this song. The 'meeow' bit is fantastic.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Music Man user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2346 posts

Posted: 11 Dec 05, 12:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the_hero wrote:

at least he was original to write a song for his cat. You don't see that very often.. besides they had to write a lot so they could record it as Freddie was feeling very ill. So maybe the lyrics weren't well thought, but he liked it so much he thought it should be recorded.

Well, I'm pretty sure Brian already wrote a song about his cat. "All Dead, All Dead" is also a much better song, both musically and artistically - not to mention it's not quite as silly. So it's not that original.

Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
j_stone2525 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 51 posts

Posted: 11 Dec 05, 13:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's good Queen camp and those who don't know Freddie had cats (or their names)thinks it's a about a girl at first. A double-entendre with girls and cats. Without it Innuendo would still be interesting but I think less so.

[The double-entendre reminds me of another women/animal saying,

"Why buy the cow, when you can have sex with it for free". :{) ].

Posted: 11 Dec 05, 13:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Also I don't think it was a choice of desperation or lack of material. With a 100 more song to chose from I think the line up would be the same. The only note i'd make would be is that the "I can't live with you" on '97s "Rocks" CD is quite good too.

Posted: 11 Dec 05, 14:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"...thinks it's a about a girl at FIRST."

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 11 Dec 05, 14:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the_hero wrote:

"when you pee all over my chippendale suite" hmm kinda strange if that is about a girl.

Depends on a girl... ;)

But: "You take over my house and home, you even try to answer my telephone" - indeed about women!

Posted: 11 Dec 05, 15:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hero wrote:

"well I think it was itentally written for his cat and not at all for a woman."

I too think it was always written for his cat, but by removing exact "cat" clues I thought it was about a woman at first (hence the double ententre). It's like when Brian said it was an interesting challege to have written lyrics for Freddie (when he knew Freddie was into men) so that the lyrics were more "universal" (i.e, could be take either way for a guy or girl he would be singing about). [Said in some Guiter Magazine around Innuendo, but I think after Freddies Death]. :{)

P.s. How do you properly "grab" quotes of other "chat members" to answer?

carboengine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1283 posts

Posted: 11 Dec 05, 15:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Innuendo cd is so intense I almost have a heart attack each time I listen to it. Delilah is a light relief, and it definitely shows off Freddie's musical range.

"Oh you make me so very happy - you give me kisses
And I go out of my mind ooh," (just close your eyes and imagine Freddie giving you kisses - boys or girls)

How sweet is that?! Innocent. Pure. The words are playful, and the music is playful. Playful, playful, playful.

MEOW!

Yes, it was a worthwhile experience.