Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Hot Space

forum rss feed
Author

@ndy38 user not visiting Queenzone.com
@ndy38
Royalty: 1490 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Dec 05, 09:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To what extent do you think the success of Another One Bites the Dust influenced the sound of the Hot Space album? I mean, even Roger Taylor on the Greatest Video Hits 2 DVD moans in one of the videos (i think it's Back Chat) that they were just 'getting carried away with the success of AOBTD', turning pretty much the whole of Hot Space into a funk/disco orientated album.

I feel that the Hot Space album would have sounded quite different if Another One Bites the Dust hadn't been as successful, because the total success of that single gave Queen the false impression that they were good at writing songs of that nature. Maybe if the song didn't do as well as it did, Queen would have produced a more rock album.

Do you feel Hot Space would have sounded different if AOBTD wasn't as successful or do you think that Queen would have gone down the Disco/Funk road anyway.

I'm kinda between both opinions.

Crazy Little Thing Called Love....
Ayreon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 139 posts

Posted: 16 Dec 05, 09:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen were good writing songs in that genre, if you ask me. But the fans didn't appreciate it.

I think the succes of ABTD was a big inspiration for the Hot Space album.

Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 16 Dec 05, 09:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I recently listened to it many times trying to write a review... I think the songs aren't actually that bad and it ISN'T the worst album of theirs- but what let's the compositions down is extremely crappy production. Listen to Staying Power or Life Is Real live and they sound GREAT. Back Chat is another example... And I was listening to the album and kept thinking that "Dancer" COULD have been a great track...
Excluding "Body language" (which is just pile of shite)- the songs aren't bad but the sound is. The album is dated, sounds just awful, too many synthesizers- Red Special was always for me THE sound of Queen- this album is exactly what I hate about 80s in general- crappy production. Bring on live drums, guitar, get rid of half of the keyboards and you'll have pretty all right album... How come demos sound better than finished product? Why there's such a huge difference (in quality!!!) between live versions and studio cuts?

But the fact is- that's the LAST album where they actually experimented... After that they just played safe... Maybe excluding Innuendo- but that's for different reasons...

Daveboy35 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 619 posts

Posted: 16 Dec 05, 10:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi yes i agree 'DANCER' would have been a great track live it's just a shame they didn't try it out and put it on a setlist in 82.

I Think if you took 'body language' and cool cat off the album and replace it with soul brother and another track then hot space would have had a much better sounding "queen" album with the RS.

Yes we'll keep on tryin

we'll tread that fine line

oh oh we'll keep on tryin

till the end of time

till the end of time.

PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 16 Dec 05, 11:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fenderek wrote:

Excluding "Body language" (which is just pile of shite)

You got that right!!!

jcrawford79 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 762 posts

Posted: 16 Dec 05, 13:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Although I realize that I am in the minority on this, I think everything about the album is great (even the production, seems to fit the songs well, at least to me). Not my favorite album by Queen, but definitely one of the ones I listen to pretty regularly. Only fault I find with it is Body Language. I just don't think its a very well-written song and its a terrible choice for a single.

GreatKingSam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 670 posts

Posted: 16 Dec 05, 13:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=black>Andy<font color=red>38 wrote:

To what extent do you think the success of Another One Bites the Dust influenced the sound of the Hot Space album? I mean, even Roger Taylor on the Greatest Video Hits 2 DVD moans in one of the videos (i think it's Back Chat) that they were just 'getting carried away with the success of AOBTD', turning pretty much the whole of Hot Space into a funk/disco orientated album.

I feel that the Hot Space album would have sounded quite different if Another One Bites the Dust hadn't been as successful, because the total success of that single gave Queen the false impression that they were good at writing songs of that nature. Maybe if the song didn't do as well as it did, Queen would have produced a more rock album.

Do you feel Hot Space would have sounded different if AOBTD wasn't as successful or do you think that Queen would have gone down the Disco/Funk road anyway.

You make it sound as if, whatever they were going to do, in 1981 they were going to release a disco album. If ANATO had flopped, they wouldnt have made a disco album, they'd have made a follow up to The Game.

Sportzfan76 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sportzfan76
Champion: 90 posts

Posted: 16 Dec 05, 15:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm not sure why most everyone gets their panties all in a bunch over the Hot Space album. At the time it was released it obviuously was a departure from earlier Queen material. But as stated above ABTD was such a large hit, I think the band pretty much discarded material that was not in that disco/funk vein intentionaly - as a true follow up to the success of ABTD. I agree that this album was intentionally released as Freddie convinced the rest of the band that this was good direction to go in at the time. (i think Freddie's solo works expanded on this theme).

Tha album is actually a pretty good listen in my opinion, its just not what Queen fans wanted or expected from the Band. I'm not sure how "expiremental" I would consider this release, but at the time I thought it was a brilliant marketing move that was unfortunatley just not appreciated.

The band went back to their roots on the follow up album The Works, and I believe there are similarities with the timing of HotSpace/The Works compared with The Miracle followed by Innuendo to some extent.

Perhaps Hot Space is not my favorite Queen album but in 1982 it was a "timely" release and really no different than the Rolling Stones "experimenting" with the album Some Girls.

Rock & Roll just pays the bills...Only football gives us thrills.
it was electric7 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 709 posts

Posted: 16 Dec 05, 15:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

WOW i really dont understand why so many fans cant appreciate hot space...Queen wants to be diverse!!! they want to have a little change here and there!! godd some people are so picky :)

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 16 Dec 05, 15:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fenderek wrote:

I recently listened to it many times trying to write a review... I think the songs aren't actually that bad and it ISN'T the worst album of theirs- but what let's the compositions down is extremely crappy production. Listen to Staying Power or Life Is Real live and they sound GREAT. Back Chat is another example... And I was listening to the album and kept thinking that "Dancer" COULD have been a great track...
Excluding "Body language" (which is just pile of shite)- the songs aren't bad but the sound is. The album is dated, sounds just awful, too many synthesizers- Red Special was always for me THE sound of Queen- this album is exactly what I hate about 80s in general- crappy production. Bring on live drums, guitar, get rid of half of the keyboards and you'll have pretty all right album... How come demos sound better than finished product? Why there's such a huge difference (in quality!!!) between live versions and studio cuts?

But the fact is- that's the LAST album where they actually experimented... After that they just played safe... Maybe excluding Innuendo- but that's for different reasons...

Hot Space: crappy production? No way. I think this album has one of the best production ever! Compare it with The Works for example, which has a bad drum sound (too flat), bad guitarsound (not really Brian-like) and the bass-sound is too thin.

Hot Space sounds really full, nice bass, synths and some very nice guitarwork (for example: Back Chat, Dancer, Put Out The Fire).

Some very good synths in Staying Power, Dancer, Action This Day.

Nice bass in Back Chat, Cool Cat, Las Palabras De Amor.

Hot Space is in my top 5 for sure!

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 16 Dec 05, 17:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

it was electric7 wrote:

WOW i really dont understand why so many fans cant appreciate hot space...Queen wants to be diverse!!! they want to have a little change here and there!! godd some people are so picky :)

I agree with you there!!

ok.computer user not visiting Queenzone.com
ok.computer
Bohemian: 600 posts

Posted: 16 Dec 05, 19:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I actually think this would be an interesting experiment.

Take a few tunes off Hot Space....hand them to a young upcoming DJ....release them under a little-heard-of label....see how the youngsters in the clubs react to them.

I think with a little tweaking and re-mastering, some interesting work could be done here. For all your opinions about Queen+Vanguard, when that tune kicked off in the clubs, people went bananas....really enjoyed it.

Anyway, as per usual, that's my tuppence worth.

"Just tryin' to have a little fun, folks..."
kdj2hot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 965 posts

Posted: 16 Dec 05, 20:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ok.computer wrote:

I actually think this would be an interesting experiment.

Take a few tunes off Hot Space....hand them to a young upcoming DJ....release them under a little-heard-of label....see how the youngsters in the clubs react to them.

I think with a little tweaking and re-mastering, some interesting work could be done here. For all your opinions about Queen+Vanguard, when that tune kicked off in the clubs, people went bananas....really enjoyed it.

Anyway, as per usual, that's my tuppence worth.

Um, youngsters? By youngsters do you mean old queens in their 40's who were young in the early 80's?

mad.the.swine 28033 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 106 posts

Posted: 16 Dec 05, 22:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think all Queen albums are equal. If I had to take all my Queen albums and throw one away, I could never pick which one to throw away, and it sure would NOT be HOT SPACE!! I think COOL CAT and BACK CHAT are one hundred times better than the bubble gum song AOBTD. Sorry John, I love all the rest of your songs. And maybe you're right about the quality of the sound, and all that technical stuff, maybe they had some dust on the microphone.

Mad.the.Swine
@ndy38 user not visiting Queenzone.com
@ndy38
Royalty: 1490 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 05, 05:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GreatKingSam wrote:

<font color=black>Andy<font color=red>38 wrote:

You make it sound as if, whatever they were going to do, in 1981 they were going to release a disco album. If ANATO had flopped, they wouldnt have made a disco album, they'd have made a follow up to The Game.

If you read my post carefully, you'll see that wasn't my point at all, i'm questioning exactly what you just said, if AOBTD (you said ANATO, but i assume you mean AOBTD) had not been a success at all, would they have made a Disco/Funk album anyway just because they wanted to go down a road which was for them unchartered territory, or would they have played safe with a more rock album, like you said 'a follow up to The Game.'

Crazy Little Thing Called Love....
Asterik user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 649 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 05, 06:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm thankful they didn't make a follow-up to The Game. I can't stand it's lack of rock and horrid production. I think that album was the start of a more minmal direction for Queen and anyway, John was becomnig a fan of disco and freddie's Munich lifestyle was set to the disco tunes so I think it was fairly inevitable anyway. For me the albums from The Game to A king Of magic were poor, which is no surprise as I think that mack did them no favours at all.

hj
Sharron .G user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 219 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 05, 08:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here is my honest opinion, I have always, and will always stand by this.

1) I think the first Queen album blows everyones "beloved" Queen 2 out of the water...it's not even close.

2) I like Hot Space better than Queen 2.

If Queen would have kept releasing albums that sounded like Queen 2....I would not be a Queen fan.

The song "Dancer" for example, on Hot Space always gets ridiculed.... but I like it MUCH better than alot of Brian's other songs, and I REALLY do like it better than anything written by Brian on the "treasured" Queen 2 album.

ok.computer user not visiting Queenzone.com
ok.computer
Bohemian: 600 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 05, 09:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

kdj2hot wrote:

Um, youngsters? By youngsters do you mean old queens in their 40's who were young in the early 80's?

Errrr....no.

"Just tryin' to have a little fun, folks..."
mad.the.swine 28033 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 106 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 05, 10:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This reponse is to Sharon.G First of all Queen 1 and 2 are egual, Maybe you hav't listend to that album enought times to grasp the tunes on that record,Maybe try giving her a thousand more spins,and call me back! God Bless,no offense intended.

Mad.the.Swine
A Word In Your Ear user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1787 posts

Posted: 17 Dec 05, 20:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sharron .G wrote:

Here is my honest opinion, I have always, and will always stand by this.

1) I think the first Queen album blows everyones "beloved" Queen 2 out of the water...it's not even close.

2) I like Hot Space better than Queen 2.

If Queen would have kept releasing albums that sounded like Queen 2....I would not be a Queen fan.

The song "Dancer" for example, on Hot Space always gets ridiculed.... but I like it MUCH better than alot of Brian's other songs, and I REALLY do like it better than anything written by Brian on the "treasured" Queen 2 album.

WHAT?!!!! You've got to be kidding!!! Right?

Joyful the sound