Forums > Queen - General Discussion > POPE BENDICT SPEAKS OUT AGAINST ROCK AND CITES QUEEN AS EXAMPLES

forum rss feed
Author

kdj2hot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 965 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Dec 05, 00:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Okay, I was reading the Rolling Stone I got in the mail this week (the one with King Kong on the cover) and in the section talking about best and worst of the yr they have a blurd about the pope dissing Rock and citing Queen and Eagles as examples of how evil it is. I missed that, I would figure it would've been atleast a quirky news item. Anyone else hear about that.

Asterik user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 649 posts

Posted: 24 Dec 05, 11:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If it is it just shows how out-of date,prejudiced and irrelevant this Pope is.

hj
magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts

Posted: 24 Dec 05, 11:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Asterik wrote:

If it is it just shows how out-of date,prejudiced and irrelevant this Pope is.

Couldn't have said it better myself. <applause>

"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 24 Dec 05, 11:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

... oh for fucks sake, FUCK THE POPE.
Can you think of anything less consequential than a bored old sycophant living in a tax free environment preaching his total bullshit message to a bunch of people that don't know any better?

Well, there's me. But I reckon I'm only a few rungs underneath him.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
flash! 28068 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2995 posts

Posted: 24 Dec 05, 11:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

*also applauds*
Well done! I know this is hardly anything to do with Queen but what does the pope know about rock?
He can't stop people from enjoying themselves...this is sinful, living is sinful, breathing is sinful!??...can a world under his power be so boring?
He hardly does anything and i havent heard of him travelling across the world to spread the teachings of Christ and Christianity... i havent heard him do anything yet...ah well... he should chill out and listen to Queen!

"It’s not often we play in daylight, and I fucking well wish we did before, I can see you all now. And there are some beauties here tonight, I can tell you!" ;)
spymyshadow user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 261 posts

Posted: 24 Dec 05, 12:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The mere fact that he knows about bands like Queen and Eagles suprises me a lot

take heed that yonder dog! Look when he fawns he bites, and when he bites his venom teeth will rankle to death
Music Man user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2346 posts

Posted: 24 Dec 05, 13:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Maybe the RIAA paid him to say that to boost record sales.

Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
carboengine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1283 posts

Posted: 24 Dec 05, 13:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I hate religion. I read that Bob Dylan had an audience with the former pope and entertained him with some songs. I like Bob Dylan, but it was probably the closest the pope had ever been to hell!

The Oscar-Mayer weinermobile:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c138/carboengine/popemobile.jpg

Yes, it was a worthwhile experience.
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18636 posts

Posted: 24 Dec 05, 14:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is old news.

In free society, people can choose what they wish to believe, and equally, they can choose what to reject. But unfortunately, in the 21st century, with our given intelligence, there are still people stupid enough to believe in things that are rejected by most rational and modern people: most notably things that lead to bigotry and predudice. All one can do is hope that the next generations will be wiser.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Forever88 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Forever88
Royalty: 1465 posts

Posted: 24 Dec 05, 14:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

as freddie said, "Fuck them darling if they just dont get it!"

Nonono, you don't understand, that is NOT why I have this gerbil!
it was electric7 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 709 posts

Posted: 24 Dec 05, 14:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

THAT DAMN POPE!!!!!!! I HATE HIM NOW!!!!!!! GRR!! I THOUGHT THEY WERE ALL NICE AND SHIT!!! BOOOO!!!

Hippolyte user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 351 posts

Posted: 24 Dec 05, 14:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen and the Eagles are the best examples of "evil" the Pope could come up with? This is coming from a man who was a Hitler Youth in WWII. Go figure.

Maruga user not visiting Queenzone.com
Maruga
Royalty: 1705 posts

Posted: 24 Dec 05, 14:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hippolyte wrote:

Queen and the Eagles are the best examples of "evil" the Pope could come up with? This is coming from a man who was a Hitler Youth in WWII. Go figure.

That's why i became agnostic.

Life Is A Bitch...

DreaminQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1382 posts

Posted: 24 Dec 05, 16:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hes not the first to denounce rock music...
They need something to complain about. This pope is EXTREMELY conservative.
Its merely his opinion, albiet not a well researched one.
And i DEFINATLY dont agree at all.
So let him use QUEEN as an example, maybe itll bring more fans to the table if they're dead set against the pope.

Talk about irony though, he was a member of Hitler Youth, and its rock music hes after...
Wow...

Theres bigger problems out there. If he wants to focus on bloody good rock music, then let him, but hes only skirting serious issues... but then again, the pope only has say in religious matters anyways.

So who cares?!

sexmachine user not visiting Queenzone.com
ready to reload
sexmachine
Bohemian: 466 posts

Posted: 24 Dec 05, 17:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian made a great and funny comment about this at the concert in dortmund this year.i´ll upload it as soon as i come back from my christmas visit.

Picture yourself in a boat on a river with tangerine trees and marmalade skies.
@ndy38 user not visiting Queenzone.com
@ndy38
Royalty: 1490 posts

Posted: 24 Dec 05, 17:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yawn........
If you believe anything Rolling Stone tells you, i think you may need help.

Even if you are Christian or non Christian, the Pope is a symbol of peace, i'd rather follow him than the likes of Tony Blair or George W. Bush.

Crazy Little Thing Called Love....
The prophet's song user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1044 posts

Posted: 24 Dec 05, 17:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh yeah pope, "all god's people" is just the devils anthem! and let's not forget "is this the world we created..." my goodness, that's really evil, I can't stand this evilness, I think I will have to spray my Queen CD's with holy water!

If he had mentioned Marylon Manson or Slipknot, I maybey would agree with him, but Queen and the eagels???!!!! I think the question should be "Is this the pope they elected, he doesn't know what's bad, he is screwed in the head, he's going slightly mad..." and so on

"Either this kid has a lightbulb up his ass or his colon has a great idea"
ElanorK user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 6 posts

Posted: 24 Dec 05, 18:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If its true what the Rollins Stone says then pope is poop

rockyracoon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 173 posts

Posted: 24 Dec 05, 19:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The comment was made by the pope when he was Cardinal Ratzinger, and was made many years ago. He was doing his job, merely pointing out some of the evil influences in rock & roll. And let's face it, a few of Queen's songs include lyrics that are sexually suggestive and promote promiscuity, and are therefore inconsistent with basic Christian ideology. But having personally met this pope (when he was Cardinal Ratzinger), and his predecessor Pope John Paul II, I assure you he has much bigger issues to deal with than music he may find offensive.

Although I am non-Catholic, and yet a devout Christian, I suggest you cut the pope some slack. The Christian world recognizes the pope as a symbol of peace and as the face of the Christian world, which has more than a billion believers/followers. (Significantly larger than Queen's fan-base, I might add.) In his role, the pope has a responsibility to communicate messages which he believes will improve the world rather than let it degenerate into abasement or into terminal warfare. And he's far from irrelevant. Who do you want to lead the world in providing moral and spiritual guidance? Britney Spears? Mick Jagger? Michael Jackson??

As we enter the Christmas holiday, let's work toward peace on earth rather than badmouthing and denigrating those who may not be Queen fans.

And may the music of Queen continue to elevate our souls and fill us with love.

Merry Christmas to all.

j_stone2525 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 51 posts

Posted: 24 Dec 05, 20:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"A culture is only as great as its dreams, and its dreams are dreamed by artists.".

-LRH