Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Star-Spangled Banner (JH) vs. God Save the Queen (BM)

forum rss feed
Author

~-:Moet et Chandon:-~ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 188 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Dec 05, 02:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The famous Jimi Hendrix rendition of the Star Spangled Banner; Brian May's God Save the Queen. Can the two be compared?

I am a fan of both Hendrix and May but I always try and defend Brian May when anyone suggests anything to the effect that he was inferior to Hendrix. And honestly, I do love most of his playing more than I do Hendrix's. However in the case with this comparison, I just can't help but love the Hendrix SBB in every single way. And that aside, albeit that GSTQ is very British and very Queen, I think May's arrangment on ANATO is by no means inspiring (boring in fact), and it's a pity that they've always played that at the end of concerts, rather than actually performing it live. For example, Party at the Palace 2002, that rendition of GSTQ was better I thought.

I read in an interview that Brian May said Hendrix's use of repeats in the SPB was "indiscriminate", and then he went on to talk about his three-part harmonies etc. and his use of repeats. This aside I'm feeling guilty at not having any other defence for this Queen number, so give me your thoughts on these two tracks side by side.


Trots om 'n Suid-Afrikaner te wees!
M a t i a s M a y user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1932 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Dec 05, 03:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jimi Hendrix can suck Brian balls

Brian's God Save the Queen is brilliant, absolutely brilliant.

Jimi's "Shit Spangled Banner" is crap, absolutely crap.


now I'm gonna take a little shit

I love you all

hahaha don't get upset

it's just a joke, but I still think that Brian's GSTQ kicks Jimi's SSB's ass so hard that he might need a new ass


...End of the Beginning...



My Mystical Flog ---> http://www.fotolog.com/woodywoodbecker



A Clockwork World, my blog ---> http://aclockworkworld.blogspot.com
Oberon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 499 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Dec 05, 12:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, you can't really compare the two as guitarists let alone their versions of the anthems.

Hendrix was a wild, free style guitarist with a lot of passion and who played an untamed kind of music.

Coversely, Brian is studious and controlled, organised and well arranged. Within these tight parameters, he plays some wonderful guitar, but I can't ever see him playing behind his head or burning his guitar (even if he wasn't playing the old lady). it's just not his style at all.

This is the fundamental difference. I don't think either of them could have played the pieces in the same manner as the other. and that is why they are both unique in the guitar world

That's my take on it anyway


Tatterdemalion and the junketer

There's a thief and a dragonfly trumpeter
HyP user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 115 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Dec 05, 13:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Probably have to give it to Jimmy because he played it live and in a way the every guitarist tries to emulate.

I would have picked Brian's had he ever played it live, but they just played the same tape over and over and over!

Music Man user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2346 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Dec 05, 14:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oberon wrote:

Well, you can't really compare the two as guitarists let alone their versions of the anthems.

Hendrix was a wild, free style guitarist with a lot of passion and who played an untamed kind of music.

Coversely, Brian is studious and controlled, organised and well arranged. Within these tight parameters, he plays some wonderful guitar, but I can't ever see him playing behind his head or burning his guitar (even if he wasn't playing the old lady). it's just not his style at all.

This is the fundamental difference. I don't think either of them could have played the pieces in the same manner as the other. and that is why they are both unique in the guitar world

That's my take on it anyway


He said it before I did. Brian is always rehearsed and arranged, and Jimi is always free and impromptu. They are two greats from opposite ends of the spectrum.

However, I would have to go with Jimi's performance only because it was revolutionary and influenced an entire generation, whereas only Queen fans would know of Brian's magnificent arrangement.


Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
M a t i a s M a y user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1932 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Dec 05, 15:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Every musician in the world might know how to tell shit from gold


...End of the Beginning...



My Mystical Flog ---> http://www.fotolog.com/woodywoodbecker



A Clockwork World, my blog ---> http://aclockworkworld.blogspot.com
~-:Moet et Chandon:-~ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 188 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Dec 05, 17:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ok thanks Oberon, I agree.

Out of interest then, which (if any) live renditions of God Save the Queen exist, other than the aforementioned one from the Palace roof (2002)?


Trots om 'n Suid-Afrikaner te wees!
j_stone2525 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 51 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Dec 05, 19:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

HyPressure wrote:

Probably have to give it to Jimmy because he played it live and in a way the every guitarist tries to emulate.

I would have picked Brian's had he ever played it live, but they just played the same tape over and over and over!


I might be naive, but didn't he play it live at the palace 2002?

J

newcastle 86! 16483 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 639 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Dec 05, 21:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jimmy always played ssp live. brian may never did. thus..............jimmy everytime


martinjkstones
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Dec 05, 22:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Considering that 'Star Spangled Banner' was impromptu and recorded using really basic live equipment at Woodstock (he didn't do a studio version, did he?) and 'God Save The Queen' was a studio creation, I'm going to go with Jimi based on spontaneity alone. Brian's may be more polished and impressive, but Jimi's is awe-inspiring, and I think Brian would be the first to admit that.

M a t i a s M a y user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1932 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Dec 05, 22:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This not about live or studio but quality.

It is not very profesional to impromtu something you hadn't had rehearsed before...

Brian is precise and flawless.

Now go suck Jimi Hendrix's dick if you want, but GSTQ by Brian LIVE AT THE PALACE ROOF is the best


...End of the Beginning...



My Mystical Flog ---> http://www.fotolog.com/woodywoodbecker



A Clockwork World, my blog ---> http://aclockworkworld.blogspot.com
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Dec 05, 22:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why the need to be so vulgar? Is it necessary? It doesn't make your argument any more correct than you think it should be.

Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Dec 05, 23:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MaTiaSMaY wrote:

Brian is precise and flawless.


*coughstepfordcough*

M a t i a s M a y user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1932 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Dec 05, 23:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Suck my left ball


...End of the Beginning...



My Mystical Flog ---> http://www.fotolog.com/woodywoodbecker



A Clockwork World, my blog ---> http://aclockworkworld.blogspot.com
Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Dec 05, 23:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MaTiaSMaY wrote:

Suck my left ball


Is it chocolate and salty?

M a t i a s M a y user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1932 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Dec 05, 00:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

hahahahahahah

capo capo

no te mueras nunca

:)


...End of the Beginning...



My Mystical Flog ---> http://www.fotolog.com/woodywoodbecker



A Clockwork World, my blog ---> http://aclockworkworld.blogspot.com
Music Man user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2346 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Dec 05, 01:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MaTiaSMaY wrote:

This not about live or studio but quality.

It is not very profesional to impromtu something you hadn't had rehearsed before...

Brian is precise and flawless.

Now go suck Jimi Hendrix's dick if you want, but GSTQ by Brian LIVE AT THE PALACE ROOF is the best


Every rock and roll musician will eventually evolve to the point where he realizes that what you put into a performance is far more important than the strict composition itself.


Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
Daveboy35 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 619 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Dec 05, 09:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi guys great topic this as a fan of both hendrix and may and what a battle of anthems ,firstly may i say to lester burnham that jimi did indeed record 'star spangled banner' in the studio and it's on his 'rainbow bridge' album which wasn't released until 1971 a year after his death.

The studio version is a lot different to the 'woodstock' version as it is double tracked slowed down sped-up guitars and it's really a lot of noise nothing to the woodstock version which i prefer anyway.

I prefer the GSTQ by may because it's organised well orchestrated and majestic just as it should be all that said hendrix and may are two guitarists on either side of the spectrum ,may for his organised powerful and melodic sound and hendrix for his distortion and amazing playing.


Both are simply the greatest for varying reasons and legends in thier own right, may idolised hendrix when he was younger along with freddie and in my mind brian may took his place after hendrix died.


Yes we'll keep on tryin

we'll tread that fine line

oh oh we'll keep on tryin

till the end of time

till the end of time.



Bobby_brown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2300 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Dec 05, 09:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This could be a greater topic if we were comparing:

1- SSB in Woodstock by JH.
2- GSQ live at the Palace by BM.

In these two performances you have the two oposites of guitar playing.
Total improvisation and feel (Hendrix said that he couldn`t remember the performance because he was in trance);

Total awarness of what you`re playing, because you`re playing for the Queen and an entire nation, with an orchestra, on the top of the Palace`s roof!!

I think both are the pinacle of guitar playing and i can`t choose one instead of the other, but what Brian did that day took a LOOOOT`S of courage and i doubt that any other guitar player would accept the challenge without craping it`s pants!!

Take care

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 29 Dec 05, 10:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I always thought that was the Woodstock version?