Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Roger played Bass on Sheer Heart Attack?

forum rss feed
Author

tia user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 290 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 30 Dec 05, 08:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I read on another site that Roger played bass for Sheer Heart Attack. Why? Where was John?

just turn yourself into anything you think that you could ever be
Last Cyborg user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 149 posts

Posted: 30 Dec 05, 09:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He played bass on the song Sheer Heart Attack, not the album, if that's what was confusing you. He played guitar on that song too, and some people think he sung it, amusingly.

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 30 Dec 05, 10:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger played bass and rhythm guitar on 'Sheer Heart Attack' and 'Fight From The Inside', because he had the feeling and sound he wanted in his head and I guess knew better than John how to play it. Personally, I love the amateurish bass; it's just so fat and distorted.

I also think Roger played bass on 'More Of That Jazz', 'Rock It (Prime Jive)', 'A Human Body', and 'Hijack My Heart', but I have no proof whatsoever to back that up. It just sounds like him, I suppose - messier than John's usual fluid style.

~-:Moet et Chandon:-~ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 188 posts

Posted: 30 Dec 05, 10:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow this is so interesting, I've always wondered which 'unusual' instruments members have played. On the GVH2 DVD I smiled when I saw John on drums (One Vision video, Extended perhaps?). Has he ever actually played drums on a recorded song? Has Brian?

And has Brian ever played bass? On which other songs has John played guitar (not bass) ?

Trots om 'n Suid-Afrikaner te wees!
Freya is quietly judging you. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Meh.
Freya is quietly judging you.
Deity: 5913 posts

Posted: 30 Dec 05, 10:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John played most of the guitars on 'Misfire'

Posted: 30 Dec 05, 11:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow cool, will listen to it now...(I've never liked Misfire lol but anyway maybe I'll hear it differently now)

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 30 Dec 05, 11:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

~-:Moet et Chandon:-~ wrote:

Wow this is so interesting, I've always wondered which 'unusual' instruments members have played. On the GVH2 DVD I smiled when I saw John on drums (One Vision video, Extended perhaps?). Has he ever actually played drums on a recorded song? Has Brian?

And has Brian ever played bass? On which other songs has John played guitar (not bass) ?

The only thing Brian played bass on was 'Dancer', and that was synth bass. Other than that, he's only played bass on his solo stuff - can't remember which songs off the top of my head, but I think 'On My Way Up', 'All The Way From Memphis', and 'Business'. Most of the stuff from Another World, actually, and only one or two songs from Back To The Light.

Apart from drum machines programmed by the others, Roger always played drums on a Queen song.

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 30 Dec 05, 11:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester Burnham wrote:

The only thing Brian played bass on was 'Dancer', and that was synth bass. Other than that, he's only played bass on his solo stuff - can't remember which songs off the top of my head, but I think 'On My Way Up', 'All The Way From Memphis', and 'Business'. Most of the stuff from Another World, actually, and only one or two songs from Back To The Light.

Apart from drum machines programmed by the others, Roger always played drums on a Queen song.

Brian also played synth-bass in 'F.B.I' (I mean song :))

Freddie played synth-bass in 'Body Language'.

Roger also played synth-bass in 'Action This Day'.

kohuept user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 552 posts

Posted: 30 Dec 05, 14:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<B><font color=black>*39*</B> wrote:

Last Cyborg wrote:

He played bass on the song Sheer Heart Attack, not the album, if that's what was confusing you. He played guitar on that song too, and some people think he sung it, amusingly.

How is it that people think the Roger sang on that? It doesn't sound like him at all!

The same people that think Brian sang individual words (not even lines or the last verse) of Mother Love.

Some people can just tune into that stuff and others cannot - at all.

You just can't beat the reasonably priced mosquito repellant OFF.
mattsmith user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 125 posts

Posted: 30 Dec 05, 17:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just a question.
As John wrote i want to break free, did he play any of the guitar on the studio version, or was it brian or a mixture of both?

Innuendo or Kashmir? Both awesome!
inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 30 Dec 05, 20:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry... wrote:

Lester Burnham wrote:

Brian also played synth-bass in 'F.B.I' (I mean song :))

Freddie played synth-bass in 'Body Language'.

Roger also played synth-bass in 'Action This Day'.

Brian has been playing bass on newer post-Deacon Queen recordings.

He is definitely credited for playing bass on "We Will Rock You" (with 5ive), "Solo Por Ti" (Eva Maria) / "No-One But You (Only The Good Die Young)" (Kerry Ellis) -WWRY musical versions-, and "We Will Rock You" (with Britney Spears, Pink and Beyonce), on the credits sleeve.

I suspect he also played bass on the John Farnham re-recording of WWRY as well.

I don't know about "Invincible Hope", "Amandla", and "46664 - The Call" from the 46664 recordings tho, whether he played more than guitar and piano on those recordings as well.

boca user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 399 posts

Posted: 30 Dec 05, 20:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought John played bass on "No-One But You". On video you can see him playing bass

I think I'm banana tree...
boca user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 399 posts

Posted: 30 Dec 05, 20:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ah, with Kerry Ellis, ok, sorry...didn't see

I think I'm banana tree...
Gordie Howe user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 368 posts

Posted: 31 Dec 05, 00:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger did a lot of other things on albums (ex bass/rhythm guitar on SHA) and my band does the same. Like im the drummer of the band yet I play bass on a few songs and guitar on a few but I drum on most. Its just how the songwriter feels about how the rhythm should go.

Well here's my counter-offer... do I have to kill you? What if I were just to kick the ever loving shit out of you?
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 31 Dec 05, 01:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester Burnham wrote:

Lester, you always beat me to it!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

You suck.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca

Posted: 31 Dec 05, 04:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Inu-Liger<h6>-The Blu-Ray Fanatic- wrote:

I don't know about "Invincible Hope", "Amandla", and "46664 - The Call" from the 46664 recordings tho, whether he played more than guitar and piano on those recordings as well.

Steve Stroud played bass on these recordings.

Posted: 31 Dec 05, 04:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian seems like he's done a fair deal of bass-playing. Not that bass is all that difficult to play (at any rate, in those songs which he played I imagine the basslines aren't overly complicated) but still, he's even more versatile than I imagined. All sorts of guitars, bass, the harp, piano, keyboards, vocals, songwriting, he's awesome!

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 31 Dec 05, 07:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sleevenotes are a new invention are they?

Posted: 31 Dec 05, 08:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Penetration_Guru wrote:

Sleevenotes are a new invention are they?

No - for the people who download Queen music from the Internet... Modern times...

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 31 Dec 05, 17:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian played bass on the original Driven By You as well as lots of his other solo stuff.