Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Where did it begin for you?

forum rss feed
Author

Freya is quietly judging you. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Meh.
Freya is quietly judging you.
Deity: 5913 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Jan 06, 15:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

When did you get into Queen and how? I was just wondering because many of us here are teenagers..so how did you get into Queen?

I remember the first Queen song I listened to properly was 'Under Pressure' as I've always been a big fan of Bowie, I never particularly loved it though. I only really got into Queen about two years ago though, I remember I was at a party and WWRY came on and I remember thinking how much I liked Queen but I'd never bothered getting into them..but that all changed..I bought GH1, 2 and 3 and I suddenly realised all these great songs like 'Bicycle Race' and 'Don't Stop Me Now' were Queen songs. So now I have shelves and shelves of Queen stuff and Queen are most definitely my favourite band..Don't know how I ever lived without them. The song that got me into Queen though was 'Killer Queen' I love that song..

doremi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5193 posts

Posted: 02 Jan 06, 15:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was about 14 and very much into post 60's early 70's hippie pre-teen fads.

I had a blacklight in my room, a celestial light, furry flourescent feet going up my wall and ceiling, flourescent rock band posters on my bedroom walls.

I had tons of beads hanging and used to light candles and listen to the great classic rock FM stations and music of the time, in my room for hours after schooln, and they played Queen and BoRhap ALOT, along with You're My Best Friend, Somebody To Love..and the rest as they say...is history!

I also used to watch videos and performance footage of Queen on the old TV shows, NBC's ''The Midnight Special, ''Don Kirschner's Rock Concert''.

xyz
lozitopj user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 134 posts

Posted: 02 Jan 06, 15:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I bought ANATO ON cassette in 1992 and then I was addicted!!!!!! Freddie and the boys definitely changed my life!!!!! Take care!!!!

Fraz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1129 posts

Posted: 02 Jan 06, 15:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

began last year i always liked the music, and since joining this site have bought all the albums.

Janet user not visiting Queenzone.com
Janet
Deity: 3937 posts

Posted: 02 Jan 06, 16:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In 1975 I was at a school dance. They were playing records, and they played the song "Killer Queen". I was hooked, and have been a fan ever since.

-If you want the best seat in the house, you have to move the cat.

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 02 Jan 06, 16:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Janet wrote:

In 1975 I was at a school dance. They were playing records, and they played the song "Killer Queen". I was hooked, and have been a fan ever since.

Janet, you beauty! i got hooked by KQ also... i was 12 at the time...and it just seem to be the change the whole glam-rock thing needed - i do vaguely remember SSOR - but KQ really did it

go deo na h√Čireann
Janet user not visiting Queenzone.com
Janet
Deity: 3937 posts

Posted: 02 Jan 06, 16:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was the ripe old age of 14! ;-)

-If you want the best seat in the house, you have to move the cat.

not that bad user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 53 posts

Posted: 02 Jan 06, 19:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the first song i remember was radio gaga it was played on mtv in 1986 or 1987, and it really begun in 1991 when freddie died, i soon realized that crazy little.... champions, will rock you where queen songs. my first album was innuendo and i do remember that the music was to complicated for my friends. i was 13 and it was the time of public enemy, enigma, snap etc

Robin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Robin
Bohemian: 741 posts

Posted: 02 Jan 06, 19:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was around 14. It was 1974-ish. Heard KK, and liked it a lot but when I heard BoRhap I was hooked!

Robin

it was electric7 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 709 posts

Posted: 02 Jan 06, 19:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

it was December 2004 and we are the champions came on the radio and i asked who sang it and my brother said Queen so i started to search for them!!! i downloaded bo rhap and became...IN LOVE

YlvaDaJackass user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 149 posts

Posted: 02 Jan 06, 19:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My dad listened to Queen alot when I was younger, he always said to me that Freddie Mercury was the best singer of all time. My dad had I think The Miracle-album, Made in heaven and a greatest hits album too. I never really noticed the music.
But then, maybe a year ago... I was in a really bad place, I didn't feel well, I had a lot of issues with myself and who I were and felt very lonely and all that. And then... Then I heard Save me. I mean, I had heard it before, since my dad played Queen so much, but I had never really listened to it. And I cried so much the first time I heard it, because it described my life so exactly and I finally got the kinda help and understanding that I couldn't find anywhere else. And then I started to listen more to Queen, and you know, then it became an obsession :) . And Queen just changed my life, I am a totally different person now. I am not afraid anymore, I was always afraid before, afraid of what people would think of me.
So, you know, it began when I heard Save me, and now, a year later, I'm sitting here with green hair in the middle of the night posting messages at QZ and listening to Teo Toriatte. Haha, I've never been happier!! :)
Queen rocks.

Im so hangover that even my name hurts
goliath user not visiting Queenzone.com
goliath
Rocker: 44 posts

Posted: 02 Jan 06, 21:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

First of all how old are most of you? Second, I find it very strange some of the topics people put up, but now that someone has stated that most members are teenagers it would explain why the topics are so childish.

Future Queen Guitarist user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 88 posts

Posted: 02 Jan 06, 21:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

well i got into queen last (literrally!)
when i traded an old polish rock band tape i really did'nt like so much for my da's queen cd a nd tht's how it all started out later i bought gh 123 so now i luv freddie and the boyz

and ur rushing headlong out of control

and u think ur so strong but there ain't no stoppin u

and there is nothing u can do about it
Panchgani user not visiting Queenzone.com
St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani
Deity: 6373 posts

Posted: 02 Jan 06, 22:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

double post

Roger: I like it. If you don't. Sod you!

Queen song poll: http://home.comcast.net/~vantricers/index.html

B-52's: I, I, I'm lookin for some fun - waitin for the REAL Queen Box Sets to come
Panchgani user not visiting Queenzone.com
St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani
Deity: 6373 posts

Posted: 02 Jan 06, 22:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rip Van Winkle wrote:

I liked KQ, but Queen could have been a one hit wonder for all I knew. At the time it was the only Queen song on the radio in the USA.

However, when Bo Rhap came out I was hooked ... at 13 I grew up listening to Queen.

Roger: I like it. If you don't. Sod you!

Queen song poll: http://home.comcast.net/~vantricers/index.html

B-52's: I, I, I'm lookin for some fun - waitin for the REAL Queen Box Sets to come
The prophet's song user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1044 posts

Posted: 02 Jan 06, 22:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I got into Queen when I was about 2. My dad had 'greatest hits II' and I just grew up listning to it. You know what it's like when you're a kid, everything is on repeat, except for me it was Queen instead of 'sing yourself silly'. I knew all the words to 'I want it all' by the time I was 3! I kept nagging dad to buy new Queen CD's for us to "share". Some of the only times my brother was nice to me was when we would pretend to be Queen. I would be Roger Taylor, with my pot's and pan's drumkit and chopsticks, and my brother would be Brian May using a tennis racquet instead of the 'red special'. I am now glad to say my 3 yr old cousin and his 7 yr old sister are into Queen too, it made me so sad the other day when the 7 yr old asked me if she wrote a nice letter to god, would he let us have Freddie back?

"Either this kid has a lightbulb up his ass or his colon has a great idea"
NJQueenFan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 187 posts

Posted: 02 Jan 06, 23:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Mighty Ducks 2 soundtrack had We Will Rock You and We Are The Champions, and I watched that movie all the time and they soon became my two favorite songs. My dad was always a huge Queen fan, so he'd play his News Of The World cassette whenever I was in the car with him. Loved it, and he introduced me to ANATO soon after, been a fan ever since. Originally only really listened to ANATO, NOTW, Innuendo, and The Game, and Greatest Hits 1 & 2, got into the rest of the albums over the last couple years.

"So you think you can stone me and spit in my eye? So you think you can love me and leave me to die?"

-Bohemian Rhapsody
That guy who digs energy domes user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5020 posts

Posted: 02 Jan 06, 23:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

in the year of 89
was born here a wrestler
in the days when bands were few
and he soon set out
to his dad's old cd case
Next thing you know, he found Queen

And the night followed day
And his parents would say
That the small young lad inside
For many loneley day
Run across the city streets
Neer looked back
never feard
never cried

Cant you hear his song
though he's many miles away
cant you hear him calling you?
Gets his CD's at the store
though the clerk is quite a whore
in the land that his grandparents knew!

Freedom of choice is what you've got

Freedom from choice is what you want

http://queen4ever.19.forumer.com/index.php
Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 03 Jan 06, 00:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Stole a tape from my brother sometime in the 1980s. Got hooked.

DJ's the man we love the most
Brian_Mays_Wig user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brian_Mays_Wig
Deity: 2934 posts

Posted: 03 Jan 06, 02:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Janet wrote:

I was the ripe old age of 14! ;-)

God that was a long time ago!
*only Joking Lovely!*

1987 for me, I brought a copy of GH1 on vynil for £5 off my cousin. I still have it, its totally battered and covered in those fake autographs that many nine year olds tend to do.......and most of ebay these days!

Yes, I was 9, hooked and still am.

Chom own mudder fukker.