Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Magic tour 1986, not as big as it could have been...

forum rss feed
Author

goldenglobe user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Jan 06, 08:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

-Why did they not play at the Olympic Stadium in Munich (they were so popular at this time in germany)?
-Was there any planning for a Italy-concert??
-Why not a large venue (over 30000) in Spain?

just thoughts

Simon
TRS-Romania user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 650 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 06, 08:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i dont know, it depends on the local promotor i gues ... I think the step from an arena with 10.000 people to a stadium of 30.000 or more is a big step.
Ofcourse (?) they would have sold out, but what if they didnt in Spain for instance? What if 15.000 turned up in a 30.000 seat stadium ...

I still love the Gerry Stickels comment about the fact if he could guarantee that Knebworth would be a sell out gig, ... luckly for him it did...

They did a gig in Holland as well (Leiden, some godforsaken boring town) and I gues it was much less than 10.000 people or I might be wrong) ... Kind of strange since Holland has a huge following of Queen (also in 1986) ...

But well I gues it;s a management and promotor's decision to choose certain venues

Stefan

Bobby_brown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2300 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 06, 12:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

goldenglobe wrote:

-Why did they not play at the Olympic Stadium in Munich (they were so popular at this time in germany)?
-Was there any planning for a Italy-concert??
-Why not a large venue (over 30000) in Spain?

just thoughts

1.000.000 people in 27 dates it`s not that small!!

Take care

Regor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 364 posts

Posted: 11 Jan 06, 10:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I often thought about that as well - they played in Leiden three times in '86 (about 10.000 people each) and they did (and do) have an extreme enthusiastic following in the netherlands - they could have easily filled a stadium in Amsterdam I guess...
The same with munich: 60.000 in cologne, 68.000 in Mannheim and well over 40.000 in Berlin (over two nights), and then the rather small "Olympiahalle" (cap. 11.000) - strange choice IMO. And no concert in northern germany at all - Hamburg ?
And they did not go to italy, despite the fact that Milan - being their first concerts ever in italy, which is not a typical "rock"-country - was a success during the "Works"-Tour (12.500 x 2)
And finally Vienna: two nights at the "Stadthalle" rather than the "Praterstadium", which is not too big (50.000) in comparison to Munich e.g (80.000).

I think more sell-out stadium shows in '86 would have been possible. Not to think of possible US-Tours in '84 and '86, but that's another topic...

Guten Tag und Guten Abend !!! We had a great time in Cologne. Drinking beer in the sunshine beside the Mighty Rhein brought back many memories for me..... (Brian May, 2004)
tilomagnet user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 290 posts

Posted: 11 Jan 06, 13:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There was only one show in Berlin in 1986 and the Waldbühne doesn't hold more than 22.000. The Milan shows in '84 weren't sold out by the way.