Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Question about Too Much Love Will Kill You....

forum rss feed
Author

xxxpwxxx user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 155 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Jan 06, 09:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello, i was just wondering if anybody can clue me in when Freddie recorded his vocals for this song...was it before or after Innuendo???
Thank you....

Baby you've been had......
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 06, 09:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

January 1988 - January 1989

magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 06, 09:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

His voice is amazingly powerful in that song, isn't it?

"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury

Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 06, 09:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think it's that powerful, heard better performances... Just an opinion!

Ayreon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 139 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 06, 09:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ever heard from an album from a band called Queen called 'Made In Heaven'?

magicalfreddiemercury

Posted: 04 Jan 06, 09:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Made in Heaven - track #8

"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury

TRS-Romania user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 650 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 06, 10:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i am sorry but the timing on TMLWKY by freddie is just way off ... the last phrase in the song (being) "Too much love will kill you ...in the end" is just totally off beat ...

I dont know why Roger/Brian and John didnt delay the "in the end" part some longer ... I was dissapointed when I heard that ... And I even think the guitars are too weak in the MIH version (after the solo), it sounds to "thin" to me , meaning that Brian should have addeded some chords to it ...

Stefan

magicalfreddiemercury

Posted: 04 Jan 06, 10:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow. I'm shocked. This is one of my many favorite songs (and Freddie performances). I just listened to it again and don't hear it the same as you do. Interesting. Still brilliantly performed, IMO.

TRS-Romania user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 650 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 06, 10:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

compare the phrase "too much love will kill you ....(pause) ........ in the end" of Brian May with the Queen version ...

Maybe its just in my mind, but since brian's version was first, this "delay" in that phrase is so common to me ...when i hear the Queen version it goes like this "too much love will kill you , .. in the end

Am i the only one who hears this difference in timing? Maybe because I am a musician myself, I possibly tend to hear this easier?!

Stefan

magicalfreddiemercury

Posted: 04 Jan 06, 11:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it's as you said first - that you're used to Brian's version. I've only heard clips of it and wasn't impressed. Now that you've pointed this out, I'm curious and will check it out further...

Fraz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1129 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 06, 11:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

magicalfreddiemercury wrote:

Made in Heaven - track #8
great album.

Bobby_brown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2300 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 06, 12:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

TRS-Romania wrote:

compare the phrase "too much love will kill you ....(pause) ........ in the end" of Brian May with the Queen version ...

Maybe its just in my mind, but since brian's version was first, this "delay" in that phrase is so common to me ...when i hear the Queen version it goes like this "too much love will kill you , .. in the end

Am i the only one who hears this difference in timing? Maybe because I am a musician myself, I possibly tend to hear this easier?!

Stefan

Yes, i`ve noticed the first time i`ve heard it and i allways thought that it was made by the other three members. The Brian version makes more sense because it resolves in the right way at the end. The Queen version it`s a little hard to hear after Brian`s version because it ends abrubtally and let the listener in suspense!

Of course it was intensional and it works, but i have to agree that Brian´s version suits better my ears. I never heard the full demo of this song, but in my mind i think that Freddie might have donne it like Brian but in 1995 the other three guys changed it to guive that extra bit to the album mood!

Take care

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 06, 12:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The 1988/89 demo is pretty similar to MIH version.

flash! 28068 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2995 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 06, 12:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i thinks its fab! one of the most beautiful lyrics i have ever heard!

"It’s not often we play in daylight, and I fucking well wish we did before, I can see you all now. And there are some beauties here tonight, I can tell you!" ;)
Wilki Amieva user not visiting Queenzone.com
We must all HEAR to believe
Wilki Amieva
Royalty: 1420 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 06, 14:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The whole song was recorded between April-November 1988. It was meant to be included in the INVISIBLE MEN album (working title for THE MIRACLE) after I Want It All. The original version has most vocals a little out of tempo when compared to the version released in MADE IN HEAVEN. Also the guitar solo is a little bit different.

stateside fan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 632 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 06, 14:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i dont feel Freddie is off beat at all on the MIH version.This song was a perfect to be a single if it were included on the Miracle for america.Sounds like the Queen music americans loved from the go.also the Freddie version is much better then the Brian vocal for obvious reasons.

john pistlli
Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 06, 14:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

TRS-Romania wrote:

Stefan

Technically, I think Freddie's was recorded before Brians.

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 06, 14:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If the Brian and Freddie version would be identical, then that would suck.

I'm glad there is some difference, I like both versions, although Brian has a better voice for it.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

ANAGRAMER user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 675 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 06, 16:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie's not 'off-beat' - from memory, the vocal's from Miracel session demo - it's a little flat in places - perhaps a guide vocal originally

ok.computer user not visiting Queenzone.com
ok.computer
Bohemian: 600 posts

Posted: 04 Jan 06, 16:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I can't believe what I'm reading here....

Surely if the words "poignant", "powerful", "emotional" are to be used with reference to a musical recording, then this is it.

This is the song I use when I want to do a "here, wanna hear an excellent vocal, try this" on Queen non-believers.

So those picking out "off beats" and indeed criticising this as not being powerful enough....check your pulse - you may already be dead....

Normally I'm the first to defend the right of free speech on the internet, but I fear my tolerance is starting to wane.....

Paul

"Just tryin' to have a little fun, folks..."