Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Queen and The Darkess

forum rss feed
Author

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Jan 06, 11:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I hope not. Justin Hawkins needs to develop as a singer before he'll be on that playing field.
Though their guitar playing is coming along nicely.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
flash! 28068 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2995 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 06, 11:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Its not that i hate the darkness or anything but i feel that when they do a climax in a song they always kinda 'copy Queen's likeness' ... they are too much like them in some ways.

"It’s not often we play in daylight, and I fucking well wish we did before, I can see you all now. And there are some beauties here tonight, I can tell you!" ;)
englishyob user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 526 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 06, 12:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

so you saying queen shouldn’t be influencing new bands??

~-:Moet et Chandon:-~ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 188 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 06, 12:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, before I even knew who The Darkness were (well, apart from their name in a caption or something) I saw a photo of Hawkins. And the first thing that came to mind was: John Deacon, Bohemian Rhapsody. He was wearing this white outfit, looked almost identical to the one Deacy wore in the Bo Rhap video. His hair looked the same (same length too), similar features (at first glance) and pallour...I honestly thought for a little bit that that was Queen and not some other band.

Which was annoying, since I couldn't help but thinking that whoever this guy was, he was trying really hard to look like Queen.

Anyway, that little thing aside, I think it's good that Queen has been an influence for modern bands. There are countless fantastic bands and artists whom they have influenced. So I don't think The Darkness ought to feature high up on the list of people whom Queen have influenced. It's just that they make their Queen influence so overt.

Trots om 'n Suid-Afrikaner te wees!
Sherwood Forest user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3547 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 06, 14:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the darkness sucks, Justin Hawkins is a dick and doesnt deserve to even meet any of the members of Queen. thats my take, them making an album, what with Justin hating Brian so- i think not! And good thats better for Brian.

One should ANALize the Poetry on page 43, when Oedipus is rollin' in his benzo and he has to bust a cap on some flagrants in the under city

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/image/essay/1
darkblue user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 99 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 06, 14:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

when I heard I believe in a thing called love,first I thought about crazy little thing called love-just because of the title, and then it is very similar to queen early albums, and I am happy to see visible influence,because I miss this kind of music,and I couldn't see beginning of Queen and I am glad that I can see what the darkness is doing :)

darkblue user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 99 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 06, 15:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't know if they are,but here it's their official website http://www.thedarknessrock.com/home.html

teddybear user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 140 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 06, 15:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Darkness .......................I wish they stayed there ...............in the dark !!!!!
The band it OK, but the lead singer is dreadful, I cannot bear that voice - like a girl on helium - they are just way too hyped. I guess this is why you don't hear alot of them in Australia? Sorry not my "cup of tea" (not meant to to offend any Darkness fans) - but when I heard how they were "like Queen" I expected more (especially of the singer) - and when I saw the video clip from them - I cringed - and thought "what the hell is that?????". It is a disgrace to liken them to Queen - and Justins voice ????? Where did THAT come from ?? Pants too tight I think?????

DreaminQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1382 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 06, 16:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No...
They should stick with mr. rodgers, except were freddie still around, then the originals, duh, but yanno...
I mean no offense to anyone, thats just my opinion.

GaLiLe0 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 06, 16:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Would be fun!!

sexmachine user not visiting Queenzone.com
ready to reload
sexmachine
Bohemian: 466 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 06, 18:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YES i like them and i hope the will make a collaboration soon. better than most others i can imagine. a pity they didn´t play at hyde park together.

Picture yourself in a boat on a river with tangerine trees and marmalade skies.
Music Man user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2346 posts

Posted: 08 Jan 06, 18:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Their musical styles are too different. It would clash. It's like pairing up AC/DC with the Beatles.

Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
Danny Buoy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 96 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 06, 01:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i certainly hope they do

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2390 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 06, 05:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Funny really, folk made the same head in the sand comments about Queen when they started out.

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
Tyfoon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 185 posts

Posted: 11 Jan 06, 15:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

as ive said before The Darkness are a great band and JUSTIN HOPKINS IS A AMAZING SINGER so stop blagging my head wif all your childish commemts

'they sound to much like queen' so fuck? isnt that a good thing?

some people need to get a fucken grip!

icefire user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 287 posts

Posted: 13 Jan 06, 09:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

darkness is a good band..far better that any of the ones around at this point of moment...they sound great they have an unique image and they are confident..the magic is still missing in their music but we shouldnt expect that the magic of queen will ever repeat in history..it was queen..you know what i mean? and the darkness are just a heavily influenced queen-styled band..what are you unhappy about????? let them rock..