Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Queen gigs you visited

forum rss feed
Author

tornadoQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 19 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Jan 06, 05:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello everybody, I started this topic to make it available to share the emotions you had at Queen gigs. It can be any Queen gigs from 1973-1986. Or maybe Freddie's performance at Dominion theatre? Please feel free to talk about Queen gigs you attended and if there was something interesting during them please feel free to talk about it.
I am looking forward to your stories.

Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4282 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 06, 05:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian May in Utrecht 1998
-------------------------

My first concert and what a great one it was :-) Can't really remember much of the evening itself, except for the fact that I didn't recognize the then new slow version of Hammer To Fall at all :-)

Brian May & Roger Taylor in Amsterdam 2002
------------------------------------------

The first time EVER that Niek and I went looooosch! Great day, though the quality of the gig wasn't really great of course. But just being there and finally seeing the guys perform together was great. Also one of the very few times that they performed No-One But You together.

Queen + Paul Rodgers in Paris 2005
----------------------------------

Probably one of the coolest days in my life. Travelling all the way to Paris (500/600 kilometers) by train, hanging around on the streets of Paris late at night (being chased by junks etc). An experience I will never forget :-D Amazing gig, even though there were some startersproblems, such as BoRhap being played out-of-sync to the backingtape etc.

Besides these gigs I also went to QPR in Antwerpen, Rotterdam, Cologne and Arnhem - but don't have any special memories about those gigs :-)

Fraz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1129 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 06, 07:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

never been to one, although may go to queen and paul rogers live someday.

A Word In Your Ear user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1786 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 06, 08:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi All, My Queen gigs, Now let's see, I'll keep the synopsis of each gig short, not so to bore you.
I'll Have To post this in two parts, as you can only put up a post of 8000 words on queen zone (I've Just Found This Out)

PART 1:-

QUEEN - Leeds United Football Ground 29th May 1982

Although I had been a Queen fan for six years prior to this gig, This was my first Queen gig, I was 15 years old & I think my parents thought I was old enougth to look after myself & stay safe. Me & my friend had a great time, although we were quite away from the stage, in one of the stands to the right of the stage. Queen played a fantastic set, The support acts, were great also (except "Teardrops explode" some fans bottled them.) they were wrong for this rock crowd. Heart & Joan Jett were great.
-------------------------------------------------

QUEEN - Birmingham NEC 2nd September 1984

This was a great memory for me. I was right up front, best tickets, thanks to the Queen Fan Club. This was the gig that Freddie cocked up the begining of Love Of My Life & passed the mike to the crowd. Queen, Yet again Rocked!!!!

QUEEN - Wembley Stadium "Live Aid" 13th July 1985

Queen's set was short, but in my un-biased opinion, Queen were the Best, A great day, for all the right reasons.

QUEEN - Wembley Stadium 11th July 1986

It rained, great gig, this was the first time that I saw the "A KInd Of Magic - Inflatables" great to watch them float out of the stadium.

QUEEN - Manchester City Football Ground 16th July 1986

Basicly the same set as Wembley, but this was much closer to home. Somebody came onto the stage & sang backing vocals during, I think it was the rock 'n' roll section. Does anyone know who it was, I can't remember?

QUEEN - Knebworth Park 9th August 1986

How was anyone to know that this was going to be Freddies last concert with Queen, I am just now glad I was there. Again a great gig!!! the helicopter that brought Queen to the Park got a round of cheers from the crowd when it circled overhead.

Joyful the sound

Posted: 09 Jan 06, 08:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PART 2:-

THE CROSS - Sheffield Polytechnic 23rd February 1988

My Hometown. No traveling involved. It Was quite refreshing to see ROGER out on his own & such a small venue, only a couple of hundred people there, if that. If you stood at the back of the hall, You would have also got a great view. The "Queen" Track "I'm In Love With My Car" Went down a treat.

QUEEN+ - Wembley Stadium "Freddie Tribute" 20th April 1992

A Sad Day for all, but Queen Rocked even without Freddie. Great to see Brian come on with Def Leppard & also for Extreme do their Queen set.

THE CROSS - The Marquee 22nd December 1992

Wow!! Great to witness the "SMILE" reunion. Great concert, but obviously when Brian came on was the highlight.

BRIAN MAY - Sheffield City Hall 9th June 1993

Yet again, my hometown. Brian was great, The Queen tracks went down the best.

BRIAN MAY - Birmingham NEC 12th June 1993

Great Gig, The first & Last Queen/related concert that my wife attended. The guy who was at the side of her was that pissed up, he puked up all over her & on the floor. I had a choice, Go with my wife to the toilet, to see if she gets cleaned up alright, or, stay right where I was & not miss the gig. (Sorry, Sweetheart, I Love you and all, BUT!!!!) call me selfish, but I loved QUEEN, long before I loved her.

BRIAN MAY - Nottingham Concert Hall 4th December 1993

Brian great again. Sang "Teo T'" first time that I had heard that live at a concert that I was at.

ROGER TAYLOR - Shepherds Bush Empire 15th September 1994

Great gig, Small venue, again as with brian, the Queen tracks went down the best. -----------------------------------------------

ROGER TAYLOR - Sheffield Leadmill 27th November 1994

My Hometown, Great Gig again!!!

ROGER TAYLOR - Shepherds Bush Empire 14th October 1998

The first of the "Electric Fire" Dates. Great again. Bob Geldof & Another guy Guested. Did anyone notice that Roger gave the Guest a kiss on the lips as he left stage? (Not Bob Geldof, the other guy I mean)

BRIAN MAY - Nottingham Concert Hall 24th October 1998

He Sang "No One But You" great agian

BRIAN MAY - Sheffield City Hall 2nd November 1998

I Like These Sheffield gigs, 10 mins & I'm home.
& again Brian was superb.

ROGER TAYLOR - Sheffield Leadmill 21st March 1999

Roger at his best, Treana was the support, & Sang Sleeping on The Sidewalk. Best bit of the gig for me was when Roger sang his version of "We Will Rock You" Again Sheff!!!!!

QUEEN+ PAUL RODGERS - Brixton Academy 28th March 2005

I was one of the lucky ones to get 2 tickets from the fan clubs lottery. I think that Paul was finding his way & tyring to get used to the queen songs, you can tell, he struggled a bit in my opinion. All said a great gig. Also The taped intro of "It's A Beautiful Day" was a lot longer & different mix than the version they used for the rest of the tour.(In fact it was Track 13 from Made In Heaven, but it sounded different somehow.)

QUEEN+ PAUL RODGERS - Bimingham NEC 6th May 2005

This gig, in my opinion was the best of the tour, that I attended, The crowd atmosphere, was awesome. The Set was a couple of songs shorter, than the rest of the tour & Brian sang more lead

Joyful the sound

Posted: 09 Jan 06, 08:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Joyful the sound
Jazz 78 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 502 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 06, 08:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

November 14, 1978 Providence Civic Center. My first concert ever and great seats near the stage on Brians' side. The opening of the show absolutely blew my mind with the lighting rig, smoke and a KILLER version of "Rock you" at the start. I remember Freddie berating the lighting director (who is my cousin) midway through the show due to some technical problem which I didn't notice. And it was LOUD, LOUD, LOUD!!! It was fucking great!!!

August 26, 1980 Providence Civic Center. The Game had just come out and everything you heard that summer was Queen related. What a great time! The show was amazing! Met Rogers' roadie Crystal very briefly and told him about my cousin Joe and how he was at that time working with Foreigner. Crystal just rolled his eyes when that was mentioned. Freddies' voice was fantastic that night. Very strong and powerful. If you have the bootleg version you'll hear what I mean. Again this was a loud show. Nothing like hearing that fireplace around Brians' neck at full volume. As a 15 year old kid these shows were just AWE inspiring. Great experiences I'll never forget.

Franck GAVARD PERRET user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 51 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 06, 08:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi,

This is Franck.

As I was 5 when Freddie passsed away, I've never seen Queen on stage.
However, I was among the audience of the Queen and Paul Rodgers show at basel, St Jakobshalle, on April, 10th, 2005. It was great to my mind, 2 metres away from me, in front of me, there were Brian May and Roger taylor singing Say It's not True, '39, Love of my life etc...
Moreover, as the gig was recorded, and the bootleg is quite good concerning the sound, I have a souvenir now...

One of the best nights of my life !

Cheers,

Franck

My Queen trade list : http://1504.aceblog.fr/
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 06, 09:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian May, live in St. Petersburg, 6/11/1998
Brian May, live in Moscow, soundcheck, 7/11/1998
Brian May, live in Moscow, 7/11/1998
Roger Taylor, live in Cosford Mill, 24/09/1998 (does it count? ;))
Brian May and Roger Taylor, live in Moscow, 17/10/2004

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 06, 09:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Also The taped intro of "It's A Beautiful Day" was a lot longer & different mix than the version they used for the rest of the tour."

Actually, it was not A Beautiful Day, it was the complete track 13 from Made in Heaven they played in the Brixton Academy :)

I do not want any google ads here.

rocktheflash user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 199 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 06, 10:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen:
frankfurt-festhalle 1979
frankfurt -festhalle 1980
frankfurt-festhalle 1982
frankfurt festhalle 1984

The Cross:
frankfurt-music hall 1988
neu isenburg-hugenottenhalle 1990

Brian May:
frankfurt-jahrhunderthalle 1993

Queen+Paul Rodgers:
frankfurt-festhalle 2005

you don't want to heare it?...if you don't wanna here it,fucking go home!

F.Mercury-28.04.82 Frankfurt/Main

Q.Konzerts:79-80-82-84-2005
Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 06, 10:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian May in warsaw

Party at the Palace

Q+PR: Brixton
Q+PR: Manchester
Q+PR: Birmingham
Q+PR: Cardiff
Q+PR: Sheffield
Q+PR: London (Pavilion)
Q+PR: London (Hyde Park)

PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 06, 10:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian

Edinburh 1993
- I will never forget this show. First time that I saw any member of Queen. I could no believe I was going to see Brian until he walked out on the stage. Highlights were probably Now I'm Here and Let Me Out. I was blown away by Cozy's drum solo.

Glasgow 1998
- Good, but not as good as the Back to the Light show that saw.

-------------

Roger

Glasgow & Edinburgh 1999
- Two great concerts in very small venues.

-------------

Queen + PR

New Jersey 2005
- What an amazing concert!!

j0ck3 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 155 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 06, 10:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Q+PR, Stockholm 30th April 2005, possibly the best night in my life

Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 06, 11:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian May - Chicago '98 "RockStock" - Before this, I never EVER thought I would see Brian or Roger live, so I was going completely insane. My heart literally skipped a beat the first time I got a glimpse of Brian. This was a festival show, so we got there early to get to the front and waited through some very crap bands. The next day there was an autograph signing at a guitar store, which made the trip all the more worth it!

Brian May '98 - Berlin, Hamburg, Cologne, Stuttgart, and Munich - Crazy spur of the moment trip to Germany to see the Another World tour. Was in shock about how CLOSE you could get to Brian. Seeing Brian play the Red Special just a couple of feet in front of my face is a memory that I will always treasure..:-)) Got a drumstick handed to me by Jamie..awesome. Got the microphone held down to me during TSMGO during one show...:-)

Roger Taylor '99 - Glasgow and Edinburgh - Again, crazy spur of the moment trip and first time I met Pieter in person. As I said..NEVER thought I would ever see Roger, so I was reeeeaaally excited. The venues were SO small, and of course we were at the front..:-) Caught a drumstick!!

Queen + PR New Jersey '05- After paying a ridiculous amount for "VIP" tickets, we were right by the catwalk. Some highlights for me were '39...:-)), Roger saying "Fuck me it's good to be back in America", and Brian looking noticibly moved that some people actually knew the words to LOML..:-) It fueled my hope that they would return the the US.....and they are..WOO HOO! Roll on Spring!

onevsion user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2241 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 06, 12:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian May Utrecht 1998
Brian + Roger Amsterdam 2002
Queen + Paul Rodgers 2005:
-Frankfurt
-Rotterdam
-Dortmund
-Antwerp
-Cologne
-Arnhem

The 2005 tour was great. Felt like a permanent vacation. Meeting nice people (before and after the shows), driving to gigs with my brother, Jeroen, Kim , Leo and Willy... really great.

Queensday 2002 was a great day for me as well. First time I saw Roger. Off course the concert wasn't that great but I couldn't care less. Brian and Roger performing together was quite rare in 2002. I loved it.

Just like Pim, Brian May in Utrecht 1998 was my first concert. I really had a great time. Loved the Queen medley and Since You've Been Gone.

Lord Blackadder user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1163 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 06, 12:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Q+PR - MEN Arena - Manchester - 04/05/2005

What can I say? A revelation to me and a couple of my greatest hits Queen fan friends. Great night, great show. Played Under Pressure for the first time! I've seen Oasis, The Stones, U2 and The Killers but that Q+PR concert just felt more special.

"I bet you lost your virginity to a mechanical bull"
Rock It user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 78 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 06, 12:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My first concert ever was Queen, I was 14 years old and it was one hell of an introduction to live concerts. After that I saw almost everybody who's a little famous, but nothing ever matched my first experience(Bruce Springsteen, U2, Rush, David lee Roth, AC/DC, Phil Collins, David Bowie etc.)

Queen concerts:
The Works Tour(20-9-1984/Groenoordhallen/Netherlands)
Magic Tour (19-6-1986/Groenoordhallen/Netherlands)

Brian May
BTTL-Tour (21-6-1993/Ahoy/Rotterdam)
AW-tour (24-9-1998/Martinihal/Groningen)

QPR:
30 maart - France, Paris, Le Zenith
26 April - Holland, Rotterdam, Ahoy
10 July - Holland, Arnhem, Gelredome Stadium

Fun It
sexmachine user not visiting Queenzone.com
ready to reload
sexmachine
Bohemian: 466 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 06, 13:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

queen:

dortmund 1982
dortmund 1984
cologne 1986
knebworth 1986

queen and paul rodgers:

prag
leipzig
frankfurt
dortmund
hamburg
lisbon
cologne
hyde park

Picture yourself in a boat on a river with tangerine trees and marmalade skies.
flash! 28068 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2995 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 06, 14:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

knebworth wrote:

queen:

dortmund 1982
dortmund 1984
cologne 1986
knebworth 1986

queen and paul rodgers:

prag
leipzig
frankfurt
dortmund
hamburg
lisbon
cologne
hyde park

wow! you should get an award for that!

"It’s not often we play in daylight, and I fucking well wish we did before, I can see you all now. And there are some beauties here tonight, I can tell you!" ;)