Forums > Queen - General Discussion > DAVID LEE ROTH TEES OFF ON PAUL RODGERS ON HIS SHOW

forum rss feed
Author

kdj2hot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 965 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Jan 06, 10:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ANyone hear listen to David Lee Roth? He was talking about bands who switch singers and Queen was brought up. A caller mentioned how it wasn't Queen but rather it was billed ats Queen and Paul Rodgers and Roth went off on a rant that sounded like BPP lol. He mentioned how Paul Rodgers don't deserve the same billiing as Queen because Queen is iconic and he doubted that people would know more than a couple of Paul Rodgers song.

Here's the interesting part, he mentioned how to him it sounded l;ike a "strong arm" job were Paul Rodgers strong armed his way in to getting billing alongside them because they were desperate to play. (I don't know if he was trying to be cool but he never mentioned Brian May or Roger Taylor by name he just said a "at award shows you can see it in the guitar players and the drummers eye...they were dying to do what they signed up for so many years ago". Something to talk about. Personally I think he's dead wrong because the "Queen plus" name debut way before this tour (Greatest Hits 3 in 1999) so I doubt Paul Rodgers muscled his way to top billing. Also this is coming from a David Lee Roth rant who's mind runs a mile a minute, he was talking about how bands with different singers (he wasn't shy about mentioning van halen) isn't "truth in advertisement" and in defense of his stance when someone mentioned Queen wasn't calling themselves Queen but rather Queen plus Paul Rodgers he probably figured he better foind a point to argue that down.

Bobby_brown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2300 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 06, 10:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

At least he`s a Queenfan!!
You can`t take him too seriously and i will not coment because with DLR you have to hear it so you understand the context and the mood he was at.

Take care

Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 06, 11:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

DLR is a prat... He can't even sing...

doremi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5193 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 06, 11:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Since I didn't hear it, I can't say exectly what Roth in fact meant, ormaybe was merelykidding about..but remember...

Roth has always been about Roth...and I recently saw him in an interview about him,opposed to Sammy Hagar and Roth said, ''Sammy puts on a party, I AM the party.''

David Lee Roth is a flambouyant, WAY over the top ham who you have to take with a grain of salt, BUT....

I willalways admit, that with Van Halen, the SUM was always greater than the parts.

It's amazing how Roth sucked as a solo artist and how Van Halen Sucked with Gary Cherone (who replaced Hagar, who replaced Roth).

But...Roth and Van Halen combined...MAGIC! Their chemistry, however off kilter Roth may comes across, WORKS when he's fronting VH.

And noone,not even Sammy can top Dance The Night Away, Jump, Running With The Devil, I'll Wait, Dancing In The Street, You Really Got Me, Jamie's Crying..etc.

IF Roth was ragging on Queen, take it with a grain of salt, as lord knows he has ragged on Eddie Van Halen enough, yet he still has said he wants to reunite with Eddie. That's just Roth's way.

xyz
Knute user not visiting Queenzone.com
Knute
Bohemian: 807 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 06, 12:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What a jackass.

He just seized that opportunity to highlight his own situation with Van Halen.

He cut his teeth on Paul Rodgers like any other rock singer did at that time.

Paul strong arming his name?..LOL!

bryans permed poodle 15069 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 762 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 06, 12:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Of course David Lee Roth is correct. Paul Rodgers is a prat can't sing been in bands no one has heard of and sold no records. Mind you Brian and Roger should have had more sense and not employed him or use the Queen name.

Paul Rodgers - "Gimp Of The Year 2006"
kdj2hot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 965 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 06, 13:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh you can go to

http://www.david.freefm.com/

and hear it. Click on 8-9 a.m on Jan. 9th and you can hear it if anyone is interested. I don't know if you guys want to listen to this cause you can't fast forward this. He talks about it once, then goes back to it and goes off on that after someone calls in towards the end.

Ray D O'Gaga user not visiting Queenzone.com
Get down, make love
Ray D O'Gaga
Royalty: 1259 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 06, 13:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think everyone knows "Diamond Dave" is not the brightest bulb in the chandelier. He's got way more ego and mouth than brains, class or talent - although in fairness, he was good at what he did, what? More than 20 years ago? And how fast do you think Dave would have jumped at singing with "Queen+" if Brian and Roger had called *him*? Woulda made your head swim.

He should also talk to whoever did Paul Rodgers' plugs. Dave's had that Donald Trump-esque comb-up-and-over for an awfully long time now.

Blow it out your ass.
mystic_rhythms user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 448 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 06, 13:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bryans Permed Pants wrote:

Paul Rodgers is a prat can't sing been in bands no one has heard of and sold no records. Mind you Brian and Roger should have had more sense and not employed him or use the Queen name.

And, of course, BPP has to say something like this steaming pile of shit that I have quoted (and I'm already regretting it!)

Obviously you haven't gotten the memo: Paul Rodgers is a damn good musician who happens to be known worldwide. Not just as "the guy who toured with Queen". He was, is, and always will be a great lead singer and a fantastic solo artist.

He has been the frontman of top bands such as Free (who released four Top 5 albums here in the US), Bad Company (who have sold over 30 million albums worldwide) and has earned Grammy nods for his solo career. I think it's the biggest honor and a definite career booster to be working with Brian and Roger, so Paul is riding high right now, I'm guessing. But no matter; they make a fine match, and have proven it time and time again, from Sheffield to Hyde Park, and soon they will tear through the United States in style.

In my humble opinion, Q+PR has proven to be a better success that what anyone would have thought before. Sure, it's not as fantastic as Queen in the past, but it's good enough by today's standards. It sure as hell beats the crap that MTV and radio stations are playing today.

So, simply put, Queen + Paul Rodgers is here to stay, and there is nothing you can do about it.

We can only grow the way the wind blows

On a bare and weathered shore

We can only bow to the here and now

In our elemental war

- Rush, "The Way The Wind Blows"
Ray D O'Gaga user not visiting Queenzone.com
Get down, make love
Ray D O'Gaga
Royalty: 1259 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 06, 13:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think the Permed Pants is an intentionally cartoonish parody of the Permed Poodle.

This assumes I have my Sarcasm Detector on and in good working order.

Blow it out your ass.
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 06, 13:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Of course David Lee Roth is correct. Paul Rodgers is a prat can't sing been in bands no one has heard of and sold no records.

Um... Paul Rodgers is the only person to have led three bands to multi-platinum success.

Maybe you haven't heard of Free, Bad Company, and The Firm, but millions of others have.

Free was a huge voice and influence on the late 60s blues-rock movement in the UK. Bad Company sold millions of records, and The Firm was a supergroup including Jimmy Page.

Get with it.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
vic user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 1 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 06, 14:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is all that needs to be said. Q+P are bringing us the music we all love to a concert format and what more can a fan ask. DLR is dead wrong from a fans point of view. Example. Journey has a new front man and I have had the best time of my life attending their shows when ever possible. Maybe DLR should check out Steve Augeri from Journey. He can get together with Steve Perry and cry about it.

vjc
Music Man user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2346 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 06, 14:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I will agree that Paul Rogers has nothing on Queen, but I still think that Queen is such a band that has enough respect and humility to bill Paul Rogers on the same level as them.

But David Lee Roth brings up a lot of good points, such as the use of triggering. The problem with him is he lacks tact when promoting his points, so they tend to go idle. But I really wish that a lot of rock bands these days would not trigger and sample as prevalently as they do - it's part of musical integrity. Whenever Queen did not perform something live, they went out of their way to show this. I wonder how much Q+PR uses these effects.

I agree with a lot of things he says. He's a true rocker.

Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
bryans permed poodle 15069 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 09 Jan 06, 15:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH<br><h6>ah yeah</h6> wrote:

Of course David Lee Roth is correct. Paul Rodgers is a prat can't sing been in bands no one has heard of and sold no records.

Um... Paul Rodgers is the only person to have led three bands to multi-platinum success.

Maybe you haven't heard of Free, Bad Company, and The Firm, but millions of others have.

Free was a huge voice and influence on the late 60s blues-rock movement in the UK. Bad Company sold millions of records, and The Firm was a supergroup including Jimmy Page.

Get with it.

I have heard of the FIRM. You see good ol Jimmy Page thought it was inappropriate to come up with a name like Led Zep + Paul Rodgers. Even when Page teams up with Plant they call themselves "Page & Plant" not Led Zep. Brain and Roger should be taking note. I hate what Brian and Roger have done to the name Queen and our beloved Freddie

Paul Rodgers - "Gimp Of The Year 2006"
Don Corleone user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 14 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 06, 18:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dave is right most of the time. Read his book "Crazy from the heat". The guy is smart, very funny and a great, great singer.

Queen plus Paul Rodgers is like Van Halen without David Lee Roth. Not the real thing.

Don Corleone user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 14 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 06, 18:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And listen to classic Van Halen (1978 - 1984).

Suigi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 856 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 06, 20:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen + David Lee Roth?
Imagine THAT one, hmm.

HE ROCKS US STILL.

Proud Supporter of the Queen Lives Compilation
Sharon G. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 462 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 06, 20:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH<br><h6>ah yeah</h6> wrote:

Get with it.

I have heard of the FIRM. You see good ol Jimmy Page thought it was inappropriate to come up with a name like Led Zep + Paul Rodgers. Even when Page teams up with Plant they call themselves "Page & Plant" not Led Zep. Brain and Roger should be taking note. I hate what Brian and Roger have done to the name Queen and our beloved Freddie

I agree.

jcrawford79 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 09 Jan 06, 20:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

David Lee Roth has got to be the biggest douchebag rock has seen since Ted Nugent.

Music Man user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2346 posts

Posted: 09 Jan 06, 22:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jcrawford79 wrote:

David Lee Roth has got to be the biggest douchebag rock has seen since Ted Nugent.

Um...Axl Rose, anyone? At least Dave and the Nuge are all for fun. They're not actually assholes. And they both can, at times, be very insightful, intelligent, and wise. Axl...never.

Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.