Forums > Queen - General Discussion > All Gods People

forum rss feed
Author

flash! 28068 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2995 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Jan 06, 13:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello darlings!

Hmmm.. All god's people....
I've hardly heard this one yet but its on my list...so maybe any queenzoner could tell me why so many hate it so much and your opinion (and if you like it then tell me why aswell)
I would love to know why you think its bad... it can't be Mike Moran...


"It’s not often we play in daylight, and I fucking well wish we did before, I can see you all now. And there are some beauties here tonight, I can tell you!" ;)
Zander05 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Zander05
Bohemian: 860 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Jan 06, 14:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I actually really like it. It was originally a short demo for the Barcelona album but I suppose Freddie really wanted it finished with Queen. I *assume* (and I could be very wrong here) that people's main problem with this is the short gospel bit in the middle. But the harmonies are magnificent and the song kicks ass.

magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Jan 06, 19:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it's the actual lyrics all God's people have a problem with.

I'll be the first to jump up and shout, "I LOVE FREDDIE MERCURY!!!" BUT... I don't love this song. Yes, his voice is phenomenal, yes the overall sound is awesome and the choir bit is cool. But the preaching has got to go. Sing to me, make love to me through the song, but don't, repeat don't, PREACH to me. <shudder>




"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury



flash! 28068 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2995 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Jan 06, 13:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ahhhhhhhhhh i see indeed, darling! But what does he actually 'preach' ???


"It’s not often we play in daylight, and I fucking well wish we did before, I can see you all now. And there are some beauties here tonight, I can tell you!" ;)
magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Jan 06, 13:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=red>Flash! wrote:

ahhhhhhhhhh i see indeed, darling! But what does he actually 'preach' ???


"So all you people give freely
Make welcome inside your homes, (ooh) ooh
Thank God, you people give freely (yeah)
Don't turn your back on the lesson of the Lord
All prime ministers (yeah) and majesty around the world, yeah
Open your eyes, look, touch and feel
Rule with your heart (rule with your heart)
Live with your conscience (live with your conscience)

Love, love and be free
Love, love and be free
We're all God's people
Gotta face up
Better grow up
Gotta stand tall and be strong
Gotta face up
Better grow up
Gotta face up
Better grow up
Gotta stand tall and be strong
Gotta face up
Better grow up
We're all God's people
Gotta face up
Better grow up

Yeah yeah - yes there was this magic light
I said to myself
I'd better go to bed and have an early night
Then I, then I, then I, then I went into a dream
Rule with your heart and live with your conscience
We're all God's people, yeah, give freely, yeah
Make welcome inside your homes
Let us be thankful, he's so incredible

We're all God's people
We're all God's people
We're all God's people
We're all God's people
We're all God's people
Ah ah ah
Ah ah ah
We're all God's people
We're all God's people
We're all God's people"
===========

You know, I don't know what he preaches besides everything we all want. <blushes>

I guess it's my aversion to references to God. I object to that on so many levels - more so recently because this world seems bent on destroying itself in the very name of God. So, when I hear "praise God", "give thanks to God", "the bible says, or even "he's so incredible", I just roll my eyes and move on. And that's what I do with this song. I click the next track.

IMHO - If there is a God, s/he/it gave us brains to think on our own, not follow blindly. Clearly Freddie was a believer, and I take no issue with that, BUT he also took a proactive (VERY proactive) role in his own life. He didn't stand back and pray for things to happen. I think songs praising God give (me) the impression that you should simply lie back and trust that all will be well if only you believe. And that is simply wrong.

Sorry my dear Freddie. I just don't appreciate this song.


"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury



flash! 28068 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2995 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Jan 06, 13:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You know, I don't know what he preaches besides everything we all want. <blushes>

I guess it's my aversion to references to God. I object to that on so many levels - more so recently because this world seems bent on destroying itself in the very name of God. So, when I hear "praise God", "give thanks to God", "the bible says, or even "he's so incredible", I just roll my eyes and move on. And that's what I do with this song. I click the next track.

IMHO - If there is a God, s/he/it gave us brains to think on our own, not follow blindly. Clearly Freddie was a believer, and I take no issue with that, BUT he also took a proactive (VERY proactive) role in his own life. He didn't stand back and pray for things to happen. I think songs praising God give (me) the impression that you should simply lie back and trust that all will be well if only you believe. And that is simply wrong.

Sorry my dear Freddie. I just don't appreciate this song.


i actually quite agree with you, dear! You can't be told what to believe... we believe what we wish ...i see what you mean about this song... thanks for the fab speech lol


"It’s not often we play in daylight, and I fucking well wish we did before, I can see you all now. And there are some beauties here tonight, I can tell you!" ;)
magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Jan 06, 14:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=red>Flash! wrote:

thanks for the fab speech lol


I am sooooo glad you said 'speech' and not 'preach'.

LOL


"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury



zaiga user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 385 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Jan 06, 15:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This atheist loves the song. I love the music, and the lyrics too.

This is not a song about God. It's about love, and hope, and that we should enjoy life and live it to it's fullest.


Flick of the wrist
darkblue user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 99 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Jan 06, 16:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

'Yeah yeah - yes there was this magic light
I said to myself
I'd better go to bed and have an early night
Then I, then I, then I, then I went into a dream'

that's my favourite part of the song,the music :)
I don't know why but I've always thought that it would be a nice beginning of this song,a dream about Gods people,full of the positive energy,and this magic light:) like a dream:)


Dharankanawala user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 188 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Jan 06, 22:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

magicalfreddiemercury wrote:

<font color=red>Flash! wrote:

ahhhhhhhhhh i see indeed, darling! But what does he actually 'preach' ???


"So all you people give freely
Make welcome inside your homes, (ooh) ooh
Thank God, you people give freely (yeah)
Don't turn your back on the lesson of the Lord
All prime ministers (yeah) and majesty around the world, yeah
Open your eyes, look, touch and feel
Rule with your heart (rule with your heart)
Live with your conscience (live with your conscience)

Love, love and be free
Love, love and be free
We're all God's people
Gotta face up
Better grow up
Gotta stand tall and be strong
Gotta face up
Better grow up
Gotta face up
Better grow up
Gotta stand tall and be strong
Gotta face up
Better grow up
We're all God's people
Gotta face up
Better grow up

Yeah yeah - yes there was this magic light
I said to myself
I'd better go to bed and have an early night
Then I, then I, then I, then I went into a dream
Rule with your heart and live with your conscience
We're all God's people, yeah, give freely, yeah
Make welcome inside your homes
Let us be thankful, he's so incredible

We're all God's people
We're all God's people
We're all God's people
We're all God's people
We're all God's people
Ah ah ah
Ah ah ah
We're all God's people
We're all God's people
We're all God's people"
===========

You know, I don't know what he preaches besides everything we all want. <blushes>

I guess it's my aversion to references to God. I object to that on so many levels - more so recently because this world seems bent on destroying itself in the very name of God. So, when I hear "praise God", "give thanks to God", "the bible says, or even "he's so incredible", I just roll my eyes and move on. And that's what I do with this song. I click the next track.

IMHO - If there is a God, s/he/it gave us brains to think on our own, not follow blindly. Clearly Freddie was a believer, and I take no issue with that, BUT he also took a proactive (VERY proactive) role in his own life. He didn't stand back and pray for things to happen. I think songs praising God give (me) the impression that you should simply lie back and trust that all will be well if only you believe. And that is simply wrong.

Sorry my dear Freddie. I just don't appreciate this song.



No,No,No,my dear!;)


"My soul is painted like the wings on butterflies...Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die...I can fly, my friends." FM
Dharankanawala user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 188 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Jan 06, 22:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=darkorange>LilySavage wrote:

I love 'All God's People'. It's a beautiful song and I love the music. He's not preaching in it. You lot are so over the top.



Agreed,darlings;)


"My soul is painted like the wings on butterflies...Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die...I can fly, my friends." FM
jcrawford79 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 762 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Jan 06, 22:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Great song, in my opinion.

By the way, what's up with all the "dears" and "darlings"??

KensingtonLove (Dharankanawala) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 93 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Jan 06, 03:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote






A very beautiful song, naturally,dear;)


KensingtonLove (Dharankanawala)









flash! 28068 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2995 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Jan 06, 13:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jcrawford79 wrote:

Great song, in my opinion.

By the way, what's up with all the "dears" and "darlings"??


us lot like to abit camp from time to time DARLING! We love it really!


"It’s not often we play in daylight, and I fucking well wish we did before, I can see you all now. And there are some beauties here tonight, I can tell you!" ;)
KensingtonLove (Dharankanawala) user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 93 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Jan 06, 20:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=red>Flash! wrote:

jcrawford79 wrote:

Great song, in my opinion.

By the way, what's up with all the "dears" and "darlings"??


us lot like to abit camp from time to time DARLING! We love it really!



Well said,Darling!;)


KensingtonLove (Dharankanawala)









icefire user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 287 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Jan 06, 13:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

after the second time i heard it i liked it very much..my father said it was a good piece..and somehow mother didn't like it:) i still enjoy the song..

Asterik user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 649 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jan 06, 06:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don;t like it- it's very overblown even for Queen standards and the middle bit is terrible- Fred should have written a piano -based song for the album- roll back the years like he did with The Miracle which is great. I don't mind the lyrics at all though.


hj
Fairy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 902 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jan 06, 06:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I didn't know so many Queen fans didn't like this song! I think it's a masterpiece!! The harmonies and chorus are simply heavenly. The message is also great. Live life to the fullest, love, open your heart, and open your senses so that nothing passes you by. Live with your conscience, i.e. don't let people tell you what's right and what's wrong. I never felt any preaching in it. I think it's rather a suggestion, to live life in a more fulfilling way.

There are other Queen songs that carry this message, "Calling All Girls" is one that immediately comes to my mind. And what about This is the World we Created? Or Las Palabras de Amor? Or The Miracle? And many more! I think it's OK to have tracks that aren't the usual love songs, or about sex, for a change...Though those are welcome too LOL




“If the house crumbles... I’ll just build it again”

King Freddie



http://miracleblog.queenzone.com/
flash! 28068 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2995 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jan 06, 07:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

*claps* well said, fairy... you actually have a point there


"It’s not often we play in daylight, and I fucking well wish we did before, I can see you all now. And there are some beauties here tonight, I can tell you!" ;)