Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > You're My Best Friend, 1991 Matt Wallace Remix ANATO: US 1991 HR

forum rss feed
Author

bitesthedust user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3242 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Jan 06, 10:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Could someone who owns the 1991 Hollywood Records Remaster release of A Night At The Opera explain the difference between this remix of "Best Friend" and the original, as I cannot hear any difference?

EDIT: I have read the description on Queen Vault, but again, I cannot tell any difference.

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 15 Jan 06, 10:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Again on the US "A Night At The Opera" CD. Very similar to the original. To be honest its very hard to notice the difference, but it does have a slightly different sound. The remix this time is by Matt Wallace. Also on one of the US "Rocks" promo CDs. Time 2:51"

http://www.pemcom.demon.co.uk/jason/songs/queen/opera.htm

But I can't hear something new or remixed there too actually :)

Posted: 15 Jan 06, 11:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

so it's not just me?!?!?

Boy Thomas Raker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 969 posts

Posted: 15 Jan 06, 11:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's a very subtle remix, dealing with more prominence given to certain instruments. I hear the bass a little clearer, there are some B/V's and Freddie ad lib lines that are different. Haven't listened in a while, if I have time today I'll give it a whirl and report my findings.

You know, good times are now.
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 15 Jan 06, 11:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think the drums are a little more pronounced, though it's been many years since I've consciously listened to a Hollywood Records remix. I'll get back to you.

jcrawford79 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 762 posts

Posted: 15 Jan 06, 15:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like this remix better than the original, actually. Same with Somebody to Love.

All I Hear Is Radio Gaga user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1181 posts

Posted: 15 Jan 06, 15:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There's a slight difference, I've noticed it.

"Take The First Step In Faith, You Don't Have To See The Whole Staircase, Just Take The First Step."

Posted: 15 Jan 06, 15:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

having listening to it again....the drums are different sounding...that's the only difference I can pick up on.

chefman5150 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 290 posts

Posted: 15 Jan 06, 16:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What Matt Wallace actually did, was took each of the tracks and 'pronounced' them a bit more, made them a bit clearer. You can hear the difference on Tie Your Mother Down (remix)...the snare drum alone you can tell...it's just louder and alot more of a shotgun than it is in the original. In 'Best Friend', you do have to listen a little bit more to hear the difference, but he did with basically both of the mixes.

Ain't Much I'm Asking...If You Want the Truth...
Negative Creep user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 720 posts

Posted: 15 Jan 06, 17:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

what he basically did was run every track on the multitrack individually through a digital compressor, added some tacky digital reverb & delays and rid the songs of any of their magic.

Boy Thomas Raker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 969 posts

Posted: 15 Jan 06, 20:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks Negative Creep, I wasn't sure how they had been processed, but both TYMD and YMBF sounded sterile and dated. I think Matt Wallace was an 80s producer and he altered the sound to reflect his production values. I think it was a great idea for the remixes, but it's like trying to repaint a Picasso. Hard to improve on the original.

You know, good times are now.