Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Brian May Guitars: MINI MAY on eBay

forum rss feed
Author

jchensf user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 59 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Jan 06, 04:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/TRAVEL-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-BRIAN-MAY-MINI-RED-SPECIAL_W0QQitemZ7384572243QQcategoryZ101558QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I didn't list this one, but if you want to see what the new Brian May Mini May looks like... here it is! We expect to see them in the US in 2-3 weeks. Call if you want to reserve one.

-- Jim

James Chen

Audio Images Corporation

735 Bryant Street

San Francisco, CA 94107 USA

Tel: 415-957-9131
-luke_taylor- 28432 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 664 posts

Posted: 25 Jan 06, 10:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It looks if theres a couple of things missing of it, how big is the guitar because its titled mini may, and its quite dear

purples a fruit
drwinston user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 153 posts

Posted: 25 Jan 06, 13:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian authorized that thing? You've got to be kidding me...

DavidRFuller user not visiting Queenzone.com
DavidRFuller
Bohemian: 965 posts

Posted: 25 Jan 06, 13:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/Miniature-Guitar-John-Deacon-Queen-Precision-Bass-1533_W0QQitemZ7384733976QQcategoryZ621QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 25 Jan 06, 14:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sheer Pressure wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Miniature-Guitar-John-Deacon-Queen-Precision-Bass-1533_W0QQitemZ7384733976QQcategoryZ621QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

So many people are using such bassguitars. Ah well, a famous name sells better...

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Thanks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 615 posts

Posted: 25 Jan 06, 14:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Of course it's got bits missing!!! It's a travel version....it'll be about half the height of the full size one, and will probably be tuned a fifth higher.

The prototype was at the convention, & Brian mentioned it previously on his site, so yes, it's official.

Quick opinion - body shape looks slightly too fat, as does the headstock, but I think that's to be expected in the circumstances. It would be nice if it could be proportional and still functional. The pickup looks wrong too, but maybe that's the light.

Aside from that, looks good (and £120 for an electric guitar isn't bad - Fender's equivalent is £100 I think, and this is a very low-volume product).

Posted: 25 Jan 06, 15:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

drwinston wrote:

I agree, brians getting a right money grabber, whats a matter, cant he afford the up keep on his mansion, so what does he do, bring something out like that, why dont he just retire,

purples a fruit
nibznik user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 326 posts

Posted: 25 Jan 06, 15:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

uh, actually i think brian's ok for doing this because it gives people who want a brian may guitar, but dont wanna spend upwards of 500, a chance. I personally would buy it, but i just got my squier strat which is nice, and then ill probably buy a ibanez hollow body in august. BTW, its actually a little hefty on the wallet over here, 134 pounds is something like upwards of 300 CDN over here, which is about 100 dollars more than my Strat. Cheers.

"I am Jack The Pumpkin King!" - Jack The Pumpkin King

Posted: 25 Jan 06, 17:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

-Luke_Taylor- wrote:

drwinston wrote:

I agree, brians getting a right money grabber, whats a matter, cant he afford the up keep on his mansion, so what does he do, bring something out like that, why dont he just retire,

I doubt there's much profit in these. Plus I think the idea came from a question TO Brian's Soapbox.

Posted: 25 Jan 06, 18:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What about the money for the touring with paul rodgers, and the money for a night at the opera aniversarry edition, just wondered why he cant retire aswell

purples a fruit
Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts

Posted: 25 Jan 06, 20:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nobody says that he can't retire. He can retire whenever the hell he wants to but he chooses not to do so. He's one of the top 50 richer musicians in the UK so he doesn't need the money at all. I (and a LOT of other people) think that it's great that Brian and Roger are still working in one way or another and they do it because they love the sheer pleasure of it.

For the products they release, well, you can say Brian and Roger are filthy rich but many of the people who work FOR them don't. After all, Queen Productions is a business and it should bring profit to the owners. Yet, they manage to put out a good product every once in a while. :)

Wiley

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 25 Jan 06, 21:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hmm... I saw this in my local music shop and didn't realise it was official. I thought it was just a fun play-about guitar for sale. I might have to try it out next time I'm down there!

Peace,
Adam.

Posted: 25 Jan 06, 22:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The idea behind Brian May Guitars is to offer a full line of guitars and open them up to players that are looking for more than just the "Brian May" sound. They would like to see the Red Special branded like the Les Paul guitar where the guitar outlives the reputation of its namesake.

One of the goals of the original Burns Brian May guitar was that it was AFFORDABLE. The Guild version of the RS was too expensive for the average guitarist. Burns was able to produce a good playing guitar at an affordable price.

The new MINI MAY hits the mark as an entry level or traveling guitar. It is a stripped down version of the RS with a shorter length and just a single pickup.

The new Brian May Red Specials from Brian May Guitars look a little bit closer to the original. I'll try to get some pics together this weekend.

The next guitar that I would like to see is an exact replica with the rolling knife edged tremolo at a higher price point. It has to have the Burns Trisonic pickups with a sixpence in the headstock. It should also be in the original brownish color rather than the brighter red.

At NAMM, Vox introduced a new Brian May version of the Vox AC30 and it is going to be limited to a run of just 100 amps.

I also saw the new Foxx Phase pedal that was the same pedal that Brian played in the early days of Queen. Not sure when they will be shipping.

Your thoughts? What would you like to see?

-- Jim

James Chen

Audio Images Corporation

735 Bryant Street

Posted: 26 Jan 06, 10:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No its probly because there greedy, when people earn there millions they want more, there not satisfied with 10 million, they want to add a couple more 0s on the end of it

purples a fruit

Posted: 26 Jan 06, 15:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

-Luke_Taylor- wrote:

What about the money for the touring with paul rodgers, and the money for a night at the opera aniversarry edition, just wondered why he cant retire aswell

Isn't this a thread about the guitar, or are you just obsessed with profit and people's non-right to make one?

Posted: 26 Jan 06, 15:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yeah it is about the guitar, and its crap so thats that, i am hooked on brians money aswell, all the time ive waited for him to make a withdrawl from his bank, just the smell of a stinking rich man, arghh lovely

purples a fruit

Posted: 26 Jan 06, 18:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ahah, the first review..."it's crap". Well thought through.

Did you play it thru a Marshall stack or a Pignose to achieve this searing insight?

Posted: 02 Feb 06, 17:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There's another pic of the Mini May on Brian's site from January 16.

http://www.brianmay.com/brian/letters/letters.html

James Chen

Audio Images Corporation

735 Bryant Street

HyP user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 115 posts

Posted: 03 Feb 06, 13:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The new VOX AC30 is the real thing, if you're OK with Solid State. It does have a nice sound, although you can definitely tell the difference. That's why most pros go get the vintage gear. The good thing is you get a lot more tone control with the new vox head.

That mini guitar looks to be about as cheesy as the burns. Of course, if you just want a guitar that LOOKS (not plays) like Brian's guitar, most people by the burns. I can get a closer sounding Red Special using a Strat & a JMP-1 than the burns.

Of course, that's just my opinion...

Boy Thomas Raker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 969 posts

Posted: 03 Feb 06, 13:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What is your impression of the Guild's, HyPressure? I've heard people say that the '85 Guild's are fantastic, others say they aren't, some love the '94 Guild's, yet some say the Burns (which looks like shit IMHO) is closer sonically to Brian's sounds. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

You know, good times are now.