Forums > Personal > Anyone who liked the movie version of RENT...

forum rss feed
Author

Zander05 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Zander05
Bohemian: 860 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Jan 06, 15:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/rent/blog/

The DVD is available Feb 21, but you can pre-order it in the link above :-)

Sherwood Forest user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3547 posts

Posted: 26 Jan 06, 17:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i thought the Broadway version was a lot better than the movie, but the movie was very pleasing

One should ANALize the Poetry on page 43, when Oedipus is rollin' in his benzo and he has to bust a cap on some flagrants in the under city

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/image/essay/1
Zander05

Posted: 26 Jan 06, 18:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Because my hometown lacks any coolness, I haven't seen the Broadway version. I've heard awesome things though and I really want to check it out.

Music Man user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2346 posts

Posted: 26 Jan 06, 19:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What a strange, strange movie. The music was great. Everything else seemed to make little or no sense at all.

Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
Zander05

Posted: 26 Jan 06, 19:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It makes perfect sense to me. It's about a group of people in NY trying to live and survive while dealing with poverty and AIDS.

Posted: 26 Jan 06, 22:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zander05 wrote:

It makes perfect sense to me. It's about a group of people in NY trying to live and survive while dealing with poverty and AIDS.

It doesn't seem like you saw the "protest" part.

It's also funny how all of them feel somehow wronged because they are expected to pay rent.

Also, at times, I suppose the Benny guy was a dick - but everyone else was 10x more of a dick to him, so I have to sympathize with him.

Zander05

Posted: 26 Jan 06, 23:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They were told that they wouldn't have to pay rent. And it doesn't help that everyone was ill and poor. Benny promised them all free lodging and no worries but then he turned it all around. That's harsh.

Posted: 27 Jan 06, 01:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zander05 wrote:

They were told that they wouldn't have to pay rent. And it doesn't help that everyone was ill and poor. Benny promised them all free lodging and no worries but then he turned it all around. That's harsh.

I know, Benny was a dick. Did he promise everyone in all the buildings free lodging, or just his three roommates (or whatever they were)? That's where I was confused, especially since Benny told them they'd get free lodging if they stopped the protest - which they didn't.

Then again, it truly didn't seem to me that Benny was in a good position to just award free lodging to anyone. He had to act in the best interests of his superiors because, as I gathered it, he simply married into it and didn't have much power. I think he just made a promise he COULDN'T fulfill, rather than a promise he DIDN'T WANT TO fulfill. That's just my take on it.

The entire "Rent" plot of the musical aside, there are some really good other plots in it that I did enjoy. The rent thing was just a bit iffy.

Oh, and if they didn't show you what happened during the protest - it would have been 100x better. That was just...there isn't even a word for it. It made no sense.

Zander05

Posted: 27 Jan 06, 02:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Are you talking about what Maureen was singing? If so, yeah. It is a bit weird, but if you stop and listen to it, it does make sense.