Forums > Queen - General Discussion > did Freddie speak any Indian languages?

forum rss feed
Author

Freddie's #1 Fan Forever user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 386 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Jan 06, 00:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Does anyone know if Freddie spoke any Indian languages. His mother has an Indian accent, but I do not know if he ever spoke hindi or some other language as a child. Freddie himself almost seemed to have a slight Indian accent as well.

FreeSpirit328 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 259 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 06, 00:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't know if he spoke it fluently, but he spoke at least a little of the language written in his religious book....Lord knows I can't think of the name of it right now. He speaks a little of it in "Mustapha." Of course, I also don't know if it is considered an indian language either, so maybe I should shut up, lol

www.youravon.com/jaberdeen

Direct delivery available to customers living outside of Rhode Island. Enter code REPFS to receive free shipping.
Kensington Love user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 789 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 06, 00:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie spoke Parsi,and when he entered school at St. Peter's English Boarding school in Panchgani,he learned English.

His accent was always noticable in his songs,for example when he used words such as:
World
Love

*sigh* his accent was so beautiful;)

Hello from Rai;)

"Im not afraid to speak out and say the things I want and do the things I want,so um,I think in the end that being natural and actually genuine is what wins."-FM

R
Ready_Coddie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 198 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 06, 01:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I kind of disagree there...
Freddie was a parsi & upon his stay in India would have learned both English & Hindi.

Panchgani was always (and still is) a brilliant school/hostel area but during that time middle class/upper middle class could afford it as well & majority of them were hindus & would obviously take time to master english & I don't think Freddie never talked to anyone, he would have picked up considerable Bombayian hindi (mix of multiple languages)

Freddie Mercury

*** 1946 - Forever in our hearts ***
mystic_rhythms user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 448 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 06, 12:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

hmm...i thought the language spoken on Mustapha was Arabic, which is a common language in the Middle East.

Ah well, I'm not too good with languages anyway

We can only grow the way the wind blows

On a bare and weathered shore

We can only bow to the here and now

In our elemental war

- Rush, "The Way The Wind Blows"

Posted: 27 Jan 06, 14:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

me_and_my_innuendo wrote:

hmm...i thought the language spoken on Mustapha was Arabic, which is a common language in the Middle East.

Ah well, I'm not too good with languages anyway

It's in three languages; English, Arabic and the ancient language from the Avesta (holy book).

Direct delivery available to customers living outside of Rhode Island. Enter code REPFS to receive free shipping.

Posted: 27 Jan 06, 14:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

however the word 'Salaam Malikum' is in hindi/urdu.

Besides, IN India... it is neccesary to have Hindi as one of the subjects so I assume Freddie understood much of it...

Freddie Mercury

Richy Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 320 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 06, 15:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In the L.Jones book, it says he spoke Swahili.

it was electric7 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 709 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 06, 19:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

when you say Parsi...does that mean Farci..or persian language?

Freddie's #1 Fan Forever user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 386 posts

Posted: 27 Jan 06, 19:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I didn't know anything about the Jones book saying that Freddie spoke Swahili. Is that some kind of African language? It does not sound Indian. Isn't it strange that no one seems to know these things for certain?

Aura Marina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 61 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 06, 00:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the Swahili is the language of Zanzibar (Kiswahili). Zanzibar belongs to Tanzania, Africa.

http://www.wordlookup.net/sw/swahili.html

amarina

THE SHOW MUST GO ON!

Posted: 28 Jan 06, 00:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

R.Mercury wrote:

In the L.Jones book, it says he spoke Swahili.

True ;)

Hello from Rai;)

"Im not afraid to speak out and say the things I want and do the things I want,so um,I think in the end that being natural and actually genuine is what wins."-FM

R

Posted: 28 Jan 06, 00:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

it was electric7 wrote:

when you say Parsi...does that mean Farci..or persian language?

persian language ;)

Hello from Rai;)

R

Posted: 28 Jan 06, 00:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't want to seem like a know it all or a smart ass or anything...I do not claim to know everything Queen...I think I've proven that so far, lol

Do remember though that during the time Freddie lived in Zan Zibar and India, they were both owned by the British...I don't knnow if that would have made a slight difference?

Posted: 28 Jan 06, 02:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

person above...

Freddie came in India around 1950 or so...

India gained independance in 1947 so India was free, I am extremely thankful if he wouldn't have gotten Indian education or else he would cursed India in every song.

India is practically a land of retards, the education is completely retarded... If Freddie was in British Boards maybe he didn't knew Hindi (Hurray!)

Freddie Mercury

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 28 Jan 06, 08:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just for the record, the fact that there are five to ten foreign words in Mustapha doesn't mean anything. I can learn three or four commands in Korean and put them in a song and that doesn't mean I can speak the language.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Mrs. Snugglebunny user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 76 posts

Posted: 29 Jan 06, 15:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wonder what language he learned first? Considering the rather heavy accent that his parents seem to have when speaking English might suggest that they did not speak English as their native language. (Of course, the accent could be just the result of the enviroment, in case they do speak English as their first language.) My point is that his parents might have taught him some other language than English at home.
In any case, Freddie probably came in contact with English very early on in his life. That would explain why he spoke such good English (I am not a native speaker so I cannot necessarily judge very well, but to me his intonation etc would suggest that he learned English rather early). However, he probably was in contact with other languages too, both in Zanzibar and in India, but to what extent he learned these languages, is unknown.

Fmercurio user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 8 posts

Posted: 19 Aug 14, 04:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wooo I'm so late for the party. But his first language wasn't English and he lived between india/zanzibar for most of his first years. At least until he was 17 . So I guess he had to communicate somehow? He didn't show it to the world just like he never spoke of his roots ever. He was just freddie mercury to the public and would only hear him speak English but I'm sure he must've spoken at least 2 to 3 languages. According to his mom he spoke gujarati which is from India and I guess whatever they spoke in zanzibar.

luthorn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 607 posts

Posted: 19 Aug 14, 08:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ask his sister... I always thought his mother was Indian, father European.

noorie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 568 posts

Posted: 19 Aug 14, 12:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Actually Freddie was a Parsi so naturally he spoke Parsi style Gujerati. Along with English. That is what Parsis speak. We do not really know our original language which is the Avestan language as that is a completely lost language.
He would have learnt some Hindi in school, and picked up Arabic or the local language in Zanzibar.