Forums > Personal > Danish Newspaper Offensive Cartoons !!

forum rss feed
Author

bleeding heart show user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 404 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Jan 06, 09:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As you are all aware of the danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten cartoon publications of Islam's prophet Mohammed portraying him as a terrorist, and the anger it caused amongst the muslims. as a retaliation to that danish products are being boycotted all over the middle east and muslim countries due to the newspaper's refusel to issue an offical apology for the cartoons claiming what they did goes under the "freedom of speech" right. thus it seems that the newspaper scumbbed to the presure and apologized.

anyways what makes me wonder is:

1-are the muslims still going to be blamed for the way they retaliated and be labled as barabirians or savages eventhough all they did was demand an apology that they were rudly denied of. (what i mean is the muslims didnt issue cartoons degrading the christian religious symbols or whatever other beleifes the cartoonists shared).

2-why is it when it comes to bashing or mocking islam/muslims its immideitly considerd as "freedom of speech" but when the holocust is denied or questioned "an example.I beleive it did occour" the person is immdietly condemend and labled as an anti-semtic. isnt that as well considerd as "freedom of speech"?

3-Do you think that theres a differnce between, expressing your opinions freely with respect to the matter your talking about, and betwen expressing it freely without taking notice to the emotions and feelings of those youre talking about? and if the later is even regarderd as freedom of speech and not simply profanity ?

4-do you think hatred and envy can be masked under the term "freedom of speech"?

5-where do you stand from the cartoon publications? are you against or with this sort of action regardless of whom its aimed at?


that's enough about me, now, what do you think of me ?
Haystacks Calhoun user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1550 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Feb 06, 11:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Everyone has freedom of speech in America.

That said, there may well be an adverse reaction to that speech, people may throw tomatoes at you, but you are free to say whatever you want, short of bomb threats, assasination attempts and inducing panic....




"Not a fan of the ladies, are you Trebek?"



Sean Connery
Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Feb 06, 13:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color = "crimson">ThomasQuinn wrote:



To sum up: say what you like, as long as it fits in with the government's views.


You cannot be serious.

Shouting "Fire" in a crowded theater is illegal in the US.

Calling for the assassination or murder of anyone, whether your neighbor, the milkman, or the president, is illegal.

C'mon, use your critical thinking skills before you make comments like that, Caspar. Otherwise no one will take you seriously.


DJ's the man we love the most
Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Feb 06, 13:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color = "crimson">ThomasQuinn wrote:



If 'no one' is supposed to mean YOU (which it apparently does): I'm not interested in getting you to do so, seeing as you don't fit my definition of a sensible person by a long run.


You know, Caspar, I've put up with a lot of your crap over the past few months. I try to remain reasonable, for the most part, and I try to point out where your contradictions lay. Not to pick on you, however it might appear, but to educate. You see, that's what I do for a living. Teach. And you appear to be smart, if overconfident.

Not once have I seen you admit a mistake. You present false facts, but when the truth is pointed out to you (and not just by me), you never acknowledge that. Instead you either ignore it (at best), or you insult the other person (as noted above).

Well, the patience has run dry.

Your comment is simply ignorant, but expected from a seventeen-year-old know-it-all. The US does have freedom of speech (as I'm sure many other nations do), but human behavior dictates certain restrictions. This has nothing to do with a government agenda, and everything to do with public good. Shouting "fire" in a crowded theater could lead to panic and deaths. No freedom of speech should protect the person who shouted that.

And you know what, most sensible people recognize that and don't blame the government. Except you, that is. A critical thinker, regardless of politics, would see that. But you have become so blinded by your own existence that you don't.

So, by all means, go on your infantile and immature tirades about the evils of governments, democracies, and American history. It's a tired ol' tune, but one you'll play to death. At some point, I hope, you'll reach a maturity that allows you to put your biased-perspective in a greater context. Otherwise, you'll cement the image of a quasi-intellectual with an out-of-control ego.

And I can guarantee you, Caspar, that I am quite sensible and rational. It's shame you can't see that. Hate will do that to a person.






DJ's the man we love the most
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Feb 06, 19:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zeni wrote:

<b><font color = "crimson">ThomasQuinn wrote:



To sum up: say what you like, as long as it fits in with the government's views.


You cannot be serious.

Shouting "Fire" in a crowded theater is illegal in the US.

Calling for the assassination or murder of anyone, whether your neighbor, the milkman, or the president, is illegal.


WHAT THE FUCK!!??

Why is Pat Robertson not in jail yet? Also why are there still so many fuckin' idiots sending this asshole money for "charity".


[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Feb 06, 22:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles wrote:



WHAT THE FUCK!!??

Why is Pat Robertson not in jail yet? Also why are there still so many fuckin' idiots sending this asshole money for "charity".


That's actually a good point. Apparently, there are even freedoms on wishing someone's death, however you phrase it.

That, or his comment that Chavez should be "taken out" really referred to dinner.



DJ's the man we love the most
The Mir@cle user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Mir@cle
Deity: 3543 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Feb 06, 02:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color = "crimson">ThomasQuinn wrote:

Haystacks Calhoun wrote:

Everyone has freedom of speech in America.

That said, there may well be an adverse reaction to that speech, people may throw tomatoes at you, but you are free to say whatever you want, short of bomb threats, assasination attempts and inducing panic....



To sum up: say what you like, as long as it fits in with the government's views.


Indeed. What about that woman that was arrested, because of wearing a shirt with the American deathcount on it? Freedom of speech? Bullshit! Than we have more freedom here in Holland, although you have the risk to be shot on the streets when you say something about muslims xD

But to come back to the spot prints.. I think those Danish papers crossed the lines and asked for problems!


I got to try al little more,

because I'm an asshole but I'm learning.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfTLkUcQ7QY
scallyuk user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 297 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Feb 06, 07:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think that joking about ANY god or ANY religion should cause problems.

After all Gods are all knowing and all powerful (supposedly) so therefore

1) God ( he/She) knows about it already.
2) Hasn't done anything about it

so we can safely assume that He/She doesn't think it's important so why should anyone else.

Why are people so ready to defend someone who is more poweful than they are (unless they are embarrassed that their God isn't capable of looking after Him/Herself)
Neil


"amateurs practice till they get it right, professionals practice till they can't get it wrong"
bleeding heart show user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 404 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Feb 06, 07:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

scallyuk wrote:

I don't think that joking about ANY god or ANY religion should cause problems.

After all Gods are all knowing and all powerful (supposedly) so therefore

1) God ( he/She) knows about it already.
2) Hasn't done anything about it

so we can safely assume that He/She doesn't think it's important so why should anyone else.

Why are people so ready to defend someone who is more poweful than they are (unless they are embarrassed that their God isn't capable of looking after Him/Herself)
Neil


Mohammed to the muslims is a messenger and servent of God, not a God !! check your facts.


that's enough about me, now, what do you think of me ?
scallyuk user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 297 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Feb 06, 08:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

C.old A.qua T.omato wrote:

Mohammed to the muslims is a messenger and servent of God, not a God !! check your facts.



Read my message again. I deliberately included the word Religion to cover that fact. Someone ridiculing God's messenger should not concern you - he is not YOUR Messenger, you didn't send him and it isn't your message he is bringing.

It SHOULD concern GOD and if He isn't bothered enough to act, who are you to take offence on his behalf. If indeed he is all knowing and all powerful isn't it offensive to him (and blasphemous) that you believe that you are wise and powerful enough to act on his behalf?

Either he is God and therefore strong enough to defend himself and his word or he isn't. If he is then he will act whenever HE is ready to if he isn't then why are you bothered anyway.

This isn't about whether Muslims or Christians or Jews or any other religion are right or wrong it's about whether God (in whatever form you believe he exists) is capable of acting on his own behalf.

Neil


"amateurs practice till they get it right, professionals practice till they can't get it wrong"
Music Man user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2346 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Feb 06, 17:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Mir@cle wrote:

<b><font color = "crimson">ThomasQuinn wrote:

Haystacks Calhoun wrote:

Everyone has freedom of speech in America.

That said, there may well be an adverse reaction to that speech, people may throw tomatoes at you, but you are free to say whatever you want, short of bomb threats, assasination attempts and inducing panic....



To sum up: say what you like, as long as it fits in with the government's views.


Indeed. What about that woman that was arrested, because of wearing a shirt with the American deathcount on it? Freedom of speech? Bullshit! Than we have more freedom here in Holland, although you have the risk to be shot on the streets when you say something about muslims xD

But to come back to the spot prints.. I think those Danish papers crossed the lines and asked for problems!


When did this happen? I'm certain that in America we have no laws against wearing a shirt displaying statistics.


Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
Music Man user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2346 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Feb 06, 17:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color = "crimson">ThomasQuinn wrote:

Haystacks Calhoun wrote:

Everyone has freedom of speech in America.

That said, there may well be an adverse reaction to that speech, people may throw tomatoes at you, but you are free to say whatever you want, short of bomb threats, assasination attempts and inducing panic....



To sum up: say what you like, as long as it fits in with the government's views.


I'm pretty sure it is, "Say what you like, as long as it does not infringe upon the rights and safety of others." You were close.


Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
Sonia Doris user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 6254 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Feb 06, 14:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freedom of speach??? Are you kiddin? There is no freedom of speech in totalitarian states, may they be obvious (communist, nazi, etc), metamorphosized (capitalist!!! :P:P:P), or hidden (the USA)... There is no free state... THerefore there is no freedom of speech. Maybe people in remotes tribes in the Amazon can speak their mind without being ridiculed, but umm... don't think so...


2+2=5
Sonia Doris user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 6254 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Feb 06, 14:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like cubic sugar. And cookies. Anyone want some cookies?


2+2=5
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Feb 06, 15:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This thread could use some of Sonia's cookies.



Sonia Doris user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 6254 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Feb 06, 16:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

indeeeeeeeeed!!! Somebody remembered my cookies!!!
^,^

*passes cookies around*


2+2=5
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Feb 06, 17:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Haystacks Calhoun wrote:

Everyone has freedom of speech in America.

That said, there may well be an adverse reaction to that speech, people may throw tomatoes at you, but you are free to say whatever you want, short of bomb threats, assasination attempts and inducing panic....



of course it is...if only 20% vote then that is reflective of the vote


go deo na hÉireann
jasen101 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 746 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Feb 06, 02:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Is it just me or do all of those fuckin muslim extremists running around rioting because of a cartoon look like they need less religion and more soap?


Freddie: "Yes, we'll have a great big cock fly over the crowd!"

Roadies: "Yeah! Great Idea!"

Freddie: "And it will fly into a great big mouth with a moustache!"

The Mir@cle user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Mir@cle
Deity: 3543 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Feb 06, 05:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Music Man wrote:

The Mir@cle wrote:


Indeed. What about that woman that was arrested, because of wearing a shirt with the American deathcount on it? Freedom of speech? Bullshit! Than we have more freedom here in Holland, although you have the risk to be shot on the streets when you say something about muslims xD

But to come back to the spot prints.. I think those Danish papers crossed the lines and asked for problems!


When did this happen? I'm certain that in America we have no laws against wearing a shirt displaying statistics.


I saw it on the news last week. She was attending a political discussion!


I got to try al little more,

because I'm an asshole but I'm learning.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfTLkUcQ7QY