Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Freddie VS Elton Piano Playing

forum rss feed
Author

queenlegends user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 75 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Feb 06, 21:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How about this one? Freddie got to grade 5, elton grade 7. Both different styles but how different? Elton was not really classicaly trained and to go with that he has very short fingers. Whats your thoughts?

Love Kills, drills you through you're Heart, Love Kills, Tears you right apart..
biggest_fan_K user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 342 posts

Posted: 04 Feb 06, 22:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie is better

Posted: 04 Feb 06, 22:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How is he better though, how is that argument clear without any technical exclamation.

Love Kills, drills you through you're Heart, Love Kills, Tears you right apart..
cherrypotter user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 44 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 06, 00:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They`re both great, but in very different styles. Elton is imo a better piano-player than singer.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 06, 02:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

queenlegends wrote:

How is he better though, how is that argument clear without any technical exclamation.

It's pretty clear that biggest_fan_K is pro-Freddie anything, no matter what. I've learned not to take this person's posts seriously, and the same goes for a few others here.

My take: Elton and Freddie have very different piano styles, so it's tough to compare.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
liam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 596 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 06, 08:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

freddie had a very elegant classical style, while elton had a more contemporary pop style.

Go, Go, Go, little queenie!!
chauncey user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 69 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 06, 10:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'll bet that Elton took a lot more time studying music theory than Freddie. Elton understands his jazz chords and their inversions very well. So Elton has the edge in technicality.

But Freddie's elegance and showmanship are far superior on the keys.

Are you ready to rock, are you ready to roll, okay let's do it! -F. Mercury
~-:Moet et Chandon:-~ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 188 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 06, 10:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm always biased as are many Queen fans.

But trying to be objective, yes Elton's technical skills are superior. I remember reading (or hearing?) some Elton quote to the effect of: that rotter Freddie has the most amazing voice, so he can concentrate on his piano playing, and although piano comes naturally to me (playing since 5?) I struggle with my voice! That's totally paraphrased, I can't remember the exact words.

Anyway, but then i.m.o Freddie's overall musical "genius", if you will - the combination of eccentricity, charisma, elegance, stylishness, grace, feeling, taste and once again just genius - elevated his piano playing to a level beyond what his qualifications would suggest. And sure Freddie wasn't a great technical player (then again, even Elton John, generally regarded as rock's best pianist, cannot even begin to compare to most session player's keyboard abilities...think Fred Mandel), but his piano playing sure sounded beautiful!

Trots om 'n Suid-Afrikaner te wees!
Asterik user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 649 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 06, 10:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Elton had the edge but Freddie could still play well.

hj
Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury
Royalty: 1054 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 06, 12:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

at the fmt while elton was singing bohrap, he was playing only the chords on the piano, wich made me think he wasnt that good

:)
wstüssyb user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 12371 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 06, 13:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Watch both play the Piano, Freddie has to look at his Keys more, Elton don't.
A greater amount of Eltons songs include him playing the Piano, For Queen, maybe early on compared to later, Freddie grew into wanting to be more of a "free-from-being-in-one-spot" to being a showman.

MY GOD spell it write.
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6328 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 06, 13:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Elton

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Chamo25 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 98 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 06, 14:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I read somewhere that Elton John said he was a better piano player than Freddie, but Freddie was a better singer. It was something like this:
Elton: "When I'm performing a song, I have to concentrate more on my singing than my playing; instead, Freddie concentrate more on his playing than his singing...that bastard could sing whatever he wanted to without paying attention!!"

it was something like that.

"...you ready brothers and sisters?"
Bono Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 134 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 06, 14:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

freddie piano playing is better elton is totally shit

And All I Can Do Is Surrender.
Sherwood Forest user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3547 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 06, 15:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i love Elton, he is VERY talented but i like Freddie a lot better with paino playing

One should ANALize the Poetry on page 43, when Oedipus is rollin' in his benzo and he has to bust a cap on some flagrants in the under city

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/image/essay/1
Agr123456 user is on Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 292 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 06, 15:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

biggest_fan_K wrote:

Freddie is better

HAHAHAHAHA

Freddie was maybe one of the best singer ever, but as pianist...

teddybear user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 140 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 06, 15:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Elton is more classically trained and it shows. Freddie's style has alot of improvisation in it, which I personally love - as it is more creative that way and spontaneous - I love the bits he plays or makes up before he goes into "Bo Rhap" and things - Freddie's style more makes me think he played by the heart - but Elton is more of a perfectionist due to the training he had. I prefer Freddies style - but I think Elton would be the better player if you wanted to "do it by the book".

Posted: 05 Feb 06, 16:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well Elton didnt do it by the book at all as a matter of fact. Everything or almost everything Elton played on piano when performing was improvised, I mean when he plays a piece it will be a different variation everytime. This goes for Freddie too! alot of what freddie plays is what he feels at that moment.

John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 06, 18:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Let's see

Semi Final:
Freddie Mercury Vs. Mike Moran
Elton John Vs. Jerry Lee Lewis

Final:
Elton John Vs. Mike Moran

Winner:
Elton John

Says it all really!

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
Last Cyborg user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 149 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 06, 22:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There's been loads of topics about how Freddie wasn't all that on the piano, but you might as well start talking about how Vai and Satriani are technically a billion times better on the guitar than Brian.. I'd rather listen to Brian any day. The stuff he comes up with just sounds good. Ditto Freddie's piano playing. Who cares about technical proficiency? I listen to music to enjoy it, not to sit with my notepad analysing each individual note and comparing it against a list of technical criteria.
You can measure a player's speed and efficiency and knowledge of scales etc etc etc but how do you measure or grade a player's ability to come up with good parts? It's not a scientifically measurable quantity..
Personally I can only imagine how tedious Brian and Freddie's material would have been if they'd had a great theoretical and technical knowledge and used all the scales and stuff from that rather than coming up with their own original ideas and styles.