Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Paul Weller Slags Off Freddie Mercury (Among Others)

forum rss feed
Author

Perry user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 136 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Feb 06, 08:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry if this has been posted before

Paul Weller just isn’t in a good mood this week, fresh from saying he’d “rather eat my own shit than duet with him” over rumours he may perform with pap whiner James Blunt at the Brits, the modfather has gone on record attacking some of the biggest names in rock history.

In a interview with Uncut Weller didn’t hold back when launching scathing tirades on the likes of David Bowie, Freddie Mercury, Sting, U2 and Bob Geldof.

Weller, who will take home the Lifetime Achievement Award at this years Brits, said of one time winner Geldof: “Bob Geldof. What’d he win it for? Can’t be for his music, man. I mean, if it’s for his charity work in Africa then you can’t knock it, but Boomtown Rats, fuck off.”

Next in the line of fire was Sting, of whom he said: “Fucking horrible man. Not my cup of tea at all. Fucking rubbish. No edge, no attitude, no nothing.”

Then on U2 front man Bono he fumed: “The whole thing of Bono becoming the Pope - what the fuck’s all that about? Pseudo-American rubbish.”

Weller didn’t have any respect for the dead, blasting Queen legend Freddie Mercury. “He said he wanted to bring ballet to the working classes. What a cunt.”

A finally he called the quality of David Bowie’s output into question and his receiving of the Lifetime gong, saying: “Wrong! I like about three records of his. The rest of it’s pish.”

All Gigwise can say is the interviewer must having been rubbing his hands together. Oh, and Weller - remember the Style Council?!

What a twat! He is absolutely nothing compared to those people. Who does he think he is?

-Perry
Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 06, 08:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You know, I've never really liked his musical output. And now I have a genuine reason to dislike the guy. Who the hell does he think he is by slagging off all those people. The fact that he doesn't understand David Bowie's musical output shows how much he really knows. That part just sounds like some disgruntled idiot who hasn't a clue.

And that thing he said about Freddie? What a lunatic! He even got the quote wrong, so, did he really get it? Methinks not.

Must be crap to be him!

Peace,
Adam.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 06, 09:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Who's Paul Weller?

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 06, 09:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Weller

Banquo user not visiting Queenzone.com
Banquo
Deity: 2636 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 06, 10:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i love Paul Weller I thought the Jam were mega and Stanley Road a cracking album.

He's entitled to his own opinion not everyone likes Queen you know. Let's not forget Roger slagged The Jam off in an interview with Sounds in 1981 its on the Roger section of the Brian May website.

Guess who's back?
~-:Moet et Chandon:-~ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 188 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 06, 10:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Paul Weller is known almost exclusively in UK, and yet he hasn't ever had a #1 single in the UK...ok, two #1 albums, but then again... Bob Geldof's group (Boomtown Rats) had two UK #1's, suffice to say that the likes of Queen and U2 and Bowie had pleennnnty. Sting was also far more succesful, esp. in USA, than Weller. Not that sales make the artist, but still.

Trots om 'n Suid-Afrikaner te wees!
Asterik user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 649 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 06, 10:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Paul Weller- well he did support Kinnock so what do you expect from a total loser? Yesterday's man.

hj
The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8686 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 06, 11:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

lol remember the Band Aid clip at TOTP, he mimed the bit Bono is singin!!!!! ...now THAT'S a cunt xD

Killed by drones.
Fireplace user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 889 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 06, 12:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Funny thing is, I seem to remember that bringing ballet to the masses was a quote by Sid Vicious when he first met Freddie.

Can the moron shut up now?

Perry user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 136 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 06, 12:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Banquo wrote:

He's entitled to his own opinion not everyone likes Queen you know.

I'm happy to accept the fact he doesn't like Queen, it's just that there was no need to call him the worst word in the English language.

-Perry
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 06, 13:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I still haven't a clue who this guy is. He mustn't be any good.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
claudiox user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 168 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 06, 13:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

who's this lORD ?

can you halp me to understand "where he's from" ...?

Adam Baboolal

Posted: 05 Feb 06, 13:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fireplace wrote:

Funny thing is, I seem to remember that bringing ballet to the masses was a quote by Sid Vicious when he first met Freddie.

Hmm... you might be right there!

Peace,
Adam.

Banquo

Posted: 05 Feb 06, 14:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For fucks sake just because he has the audacity to say he doesn't like Freddie you jump on him like a ton of bricks. And anyone who says they have never heard of him are either American or don't know anything about music. I can think of loads of great songs he's written "Town Called Malice", "Going Underground", "The Butterfly Collecter", "You Do Something To Me"

Paul Weller is IMHO a fantastic song-writer, good singer and anyone who uses "Cat" as a term of endearment and isn't Huggie Bear is great!

Guess who's back?
Banquo

Posted: 05 Feb 06, 14:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

double double post

Guess who's back?
Bono Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 134 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 06, 14:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

if he slagged of bob geldof why take part of live aid?

And All I Can Do Is Surrender.
.DeaconJohn. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 437 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 06, 15:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Agreed with Banquo. I am amazed some people have not heard of him.

teddybear user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 140 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 06, 15:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well this must be some guy of "authority" since most of us have never even heard him !!!!
LOL.
He must be desperate for an extra 15 minutes of fame, poor sad little man !!!!!!!
Whoever he is (and I sure have never heard his name before).

Adam Baboolal

Posted: 05 Feb 06, 16:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Banquo wrote:

For fucks sake just because he has the audacity to say he doesn't like Freddie you jump on him like a ton of bricks. And anyone who says they have never heard of him are either American or don't know anything about music.

1st of all... Personally speaking, I jumped on it because he seems to have a lot of very stupid and ugly things to say about some great people. Not simply FM.

2nd, just because someone doesn't know who he is doesn't make them anything you say they must be. I'll bet there are people who didn't know who Johnny Cash was before the biopic came around, but that doesn't mean a thing. If anything it simply means that their taste in music hasn't allowed that path to be tred. Each to their own.

So, kindly keep those kind of assumptions to yourself, please. Otherwise, you seem to be mimicking Mr Weller there.

Peace,
Adam.

ok.computer user not visiting Queenzone.com
ok.computer
Bohemian: 600 posts

Posted: 05 Feb 06, 16:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've come to this very late.

But to those who say "who's Paul Weller?" or "Paul Weller is shite", I would suggest that you should really go back to The Jam and have a listen.

But this won't really do you much good. You'd really have to have been around in that period to know the effect and influence that Weller's work had.

Anybody in the UK who has a copy of yesterday's (feb 4) Guardian should read the piece about Weller. He was the Modfather. He was the new Pete Townshend and then some. He was of his time, and really took the working class hero in rock forward to new levels of appreciation. People burnt their entire record collections the day that Weller split The Jam.

That's just my tuppence worth. All i would say is that he has his place in the Rock Pantheon. I think he's pretty much entitled to say whatever he wants.

Paul

"Just tryin' to have a little fun, folks..."