Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Queen's relationship with Micheal Jackson....

forum rss feed
Author

RETROLOVE user not visiting Queenzone.com
RETROLOVE
Deity: 2522 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Feb 06, 02:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've read that Queen had a great working relationship with Micheal Jackson back in the day, even before I was born, around 1980, he was even the one who suggested that they release another bites the dust as a single. I wanted to know if anybody knew, how did they become friends with Mike, In particularly Freddie friendship with him, but the band as a whole also.

Also, did Freddie ever meet his idol Aretha Franklin, or Liza Minnelli, while he was still living...

Loving the pass, cherishing the present, and looking forward to the future

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 11 Feb 06, 03:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"he was even the one who suggested that they release another bites the dust as a single"

True.

"Also, did Freddie ever meet Liza Minnelli, while he was still living..."

I'll be surprised if they'd met when he was dead... They've met for the first time in the second half of 70s and then few times later.
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/1809/15se.jpg

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 11 Feb 06, 07:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good thing that he ditched Michael Jackson before all that kiddy-fiddling business!

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
-luke_taylor- 28432 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 664 posts

Posted: 11 Feb 06, 08:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

EWW i detest that garry glitter more than cheesy biscuits, i read somewhere that freddie was good friends with michael untill michael brought out thriller and went into recluse because he thought people were after him or something, i got it on a recording somewhere actually

purples a fruit
Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 11 Feb 06, 09:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

According to Crystal Taylor, it was the road crew who suggested that 'Bites The Dust' be released as a single, and not Wacko: “The actual very first people to suggest ‘Another One Bites The Dust’ to be released as a single was The Royal Road Crew. We were lurking around at Musicland Studios while the fab ones were mixing, and I think it was Jobby who said it would be a huge hit. When we told the band they just glared at us and told us to mix some more cocktails. I suppose Mr. Jackson saying it sounds more impressive than ‘Our pissed road crew said...’”

its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 11 Feb 06, 09:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Barry © wrote:

Same goes for Glitter. He doesn't deserve to be in the same pic as Freddie.

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/1830/0109fb.jpg>

What a arse hole that Glitter head looks...

RETROLOVE user not visiting Queenzone.com
RETROLOVE
Deity: 2522 posts

Posted: 11 Feb 06, 13:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes...Micheal Jackson did go a little crazy(Micheal was truly the victim of his own enviroment), along with that Gary Glitter...and that even crazy R.Kelly, even if I still like his music...but all three are some child loving pervs....

Loving the pass, cherishing the present, and looking forward to the future

Brian_Mays_Wig user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brian_Mays_Wig
Deity: 2934 posts

All I Hear Is Radio Gaga user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1181 posts

Munchsack user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1770 posts

Posted: 11 Feb 06, 14:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There's a picture of Deaky in the QZ gallery somewhere where he looks very like Glitter. If I can find it, I'll post a link to it. He has a fag between his lips, a cup of tea or coffee (or something else) in one hand, has a look of someone not expecting to have their photo taken at that point, and is next to a sign that reads "Queen Hospitality".

This can't end well.
Munchsack user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1770 posts

Posted: 11 Feb 06, 14:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here we go...
http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/mp3.aspx?Q=7028

This can't end well.
escuderodelareina user not visiting Queenzone.com
escuderodelareina
Bohemian: 231 posts

Posted: 11 Feb 06, 16:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

anyone knows the history about this picture?
http://www.nicholasjdanton.supanet.com/comparisons.htm
and why never was released state of shock, there must be more to ...and victory?

the logical one is good to think, but it does not to live
escuderodelareina user not visiting Queenzone.com
escuderodelareina
Bohemian: 231 posts

Posted: 11 Feb 06, 16:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

(the picture with john, freddie and michael)

the logical one is good to think, but it does not to live
its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 12 Feb 06, 06:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nice pics, thanks for the links Barry! I've never seen before photo of Freddie and Anita together!

Fairy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 902 posts

Posted: 12 Feb 06, 08:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Barry © wrote:

The tour then took us outside into the grounds. Freddie was not prepared for what was to come. It was summer in LA and so Freddie was wearing a pair of clean white jeans. But they weren't to remain clean for long. We were taken through an extremely muddy enclosure where the llamas were kept. Freddie knew to be wary of them spitting at him but while avoiding their heads he couldn't help but walk through the mud. So, the clean white jeans soon became very brown indeed as he picked his way as daintily as he could on tiptoe, shrieking at the horror of the mudbath. Michael, in plain jeans and a T-shirt, was obviously used to it. In another part of this beautifully landscaped garden, swans were swimming in a large pond.

Eventually we got round to the purpose of our visit and ended up in Michael's studio. State-of-the-art everything. Except... Given that Freddie and Michael were the only people in the studio, there was a limited amount of musical instruments which could be used. Freddie of course was on piano and for want of another musician, I ended up playing the toilet door!

This came about when Michael wanted to do some work on a track that he had in mind that ultimately became 'Victory'. As there was no drummer around - or drums - and Michael was not happy with the sound that the drum machine gave, he decided that the noise produced by the toilet door slamming was much more suited to his requirements. I therefore spent five minutes slamming the door in neccesary rhythm. I also know for a fact that somewhere in the world, there is a tape of Freddie Mercury peeing in Michael Jackson's toilet. Live! When I wasn't banging studio doors, I went and watched videos with Janet and Latoya. Food was sent out for from a local deli at about two in the afternoon even with all the facilities of that huge kitchen. Cold cuts arrived for Freddie and I while Michael had water melon. About ten different varieties of melon which, in America, is always a delicious selection.

They worked on three tracks that afternoon. One, as I said, became 'Victory'. I'm unsure as to the second which I think was called 'State Of Shock' but the third was a track of Freddie's song 'There Must Be More To Life Than This' which Freddie later included on Mr. Bad Guy. Freddie only played piano on that track while Michael sang, composing his own lyrics as he went along. In essence, they were both trying each other out, dare I say for size. They worked for about five or six hours that day and we left about six in the evening. Freddie was already committed to a heavy schedule and it was left as a 'Let's get in touch soon' job.

In the car on the way home, the post-mortem began. Can you blame us if we dished a little? Freddie was impressed with the studio session and Michael's attitude to work but thought his taste in houses left a little to be desired!

"All that money and no taste, dear, what a waste."

Peter Freestone - Freddie Mercury, pages 86-89

Thanks Barry, that is very interesting.

I haven't read Peter's book. I'm reading Jim's book, and the little description he gives about Freddie's experience working with Michael Jackson sounds like the diary of a 6 year old child in comparison. Judging from these paragraphs Peter's book is a thousand times better than Jim's...

“If the house crumbles... I’ll just build it again”

King Freddie

http://miracleblog.queenzone.com/
Fairy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 902 posts

Posted: 14 Feb 06, 09:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Barry © wrote:

I once described Jim's book as too much like a Mills & Boon. If you want a nice little book on Freddie and Jim's romance then that's the book for you. Peter's book in my opinion is way better, I loved his description of Garden Lodge.

I agree with you, Barry. I think I must read Peter's book soon.

I guess this explains why Jim's book has gone out of production. Though it can be interesting to some degree it's not really a good book. Sounds more like a child's diary to me.

“If the house crumbles... I’ll just build it again”

King Freddie

http://miracleblog.queenzone.com/
biggest_fan_K user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 342 posts

Posted: 14 Feb 06, 11:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Barry © wrote:

For anyone to get those pictures a decent size you have to pay rex features 50 UK pounds deposit, and then I think they charge you for each individual picture.

Why? Why is it 50 pounds just for a picture? Many of them i have seen, but others i want to see

Mayboy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 6181 posts

Posted: 14 Feb 06, 15:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I soo wanna see some of those pictures! they must be available somewhere else though me thinks

"I'm going up Buchanan Street

With a box of fireworks

And two bottles of

Tizer"

Sherwood Forest user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3547 posts

Posted: 14 Feb 06, 15:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yuck michael jackson

One should ANALize the Poetry on page 43, when Oedipus is rollin' in his benzo and he has to bust a cap on some flagrants in the under city

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/image/essay/1