Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Brian's Soapbox

forum rss feed
Author

Sherwood Forest user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3547 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Feb 06, 14:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ok, im trying my absolute best to keep understanding what BRian says about the politics crap lately on his soapbox but i really wanna see if anyone else is getting sick of it???
i just dont see why he is being so single minded with this war thing- like he's saying
"The worst sins I believe we are all guilty of are two: crimes to our own race, committed in the name of Patriotism or "Defence" against other countries, and crimes against other species on our once-green planet - the massive and wanton degradation by all of us of the beautiful animals which once shared our world equally."

if hes talking about the war in Iraq like he thing he is, then why doesnt think there is a war because these people are so dangerous and could kill us all, and would if they got the chance. They already showed that numerous times. Why are people bitching and moaning if the US IS IS IS trying to control these people. Yes its sad that people from both sides are dying, i dont like that at all, at all, but they did know what they were getting into when they signed up so i dont know.
Could someone just clear this up for me?
is Brian a hippy (meaning he wants peace- even though its impossible and id like it too but its not going to happen- no one to get hurt including the animals and what not)
actualy i want all those things so i may be a "hippy" too.
idk why im getting so pissed off with these posts coming from Brian but im losing respect for him really fast

One should ANALize the Poetry on page 43, when Oedipus is rollin' in his benzo and he has to bust a cap on some flagrants in the under city

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/image/essay/1
Lord Fickle user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1421 posts

Posted: 14 Feb 06, 15:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm not going to get into a debate about the war in Iraq, but the definition of a soapbox (apart from being a container in which soap is packed), is a platform for public speaking, and voicing of opinions, often, as in Brian's case, quite passionately. I certainly don't lose any respect for him as a musician, as a result of him posting these messages. If I start to read them, I just think "Oh, there's goes Brian, off on another rant!", and then my choice is whether to read it or not. If I choose not to, it's forgotten. I don't let it ruin my day. Let's face it, it's his website, he can post what he likes on it, and if any of it alienates fans, that's his problem!

Remember to deliver with the speed of light

A little bit of love and joy

Posted: 14 Feb 06, 15:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yea ur right with the soapbox thing- i think ill get over it.
the thing is that is different from you and me is that Brian is like my hero so i really care and take in what he says and thinks ALL THE TIME and now im starting to get a little ticked but yea idk, i guess i should give it a little time and think about it. I dont think my thoughts will change much but whatever. Oh and thank you very much for not going into the Iraq subject otherwise everyone on this board would really hate me

One should ANALize the Poetry on page 43, when Oedipus is rollin' in his benzo and he has to bust a cap on some flagrants in the under city

-luke_taylor- 28432 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 664 posts

Posted: 14 Feb 06, 15:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i dont look on his site anymore, his rants are worser than watching home and away

purples a fruit

Posted: 14 Feb 06, 15:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

worser???
lol

Posted: 14 Feb 06, 15:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

-Luke_Taylor- wrote:

i dont look on his site anymore, his rants are worser than watching home and away

Don't be ridiculous! There's NOTHING worse than watching Home and Away! Lol! :) :)

Posted: 14 Feb 06, 15:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JamieSureWould<br><font size=1>QOQOW wrote:

the thing is that is different from you and me is that Brian is like my hero so i really care and take in what he says and thinks ALL THE TIME and now im starting to get a little ticked but yea idk, i guess i should give it a little time and think about it. I dont think my thoughts will change much but whatever. Oh and thank you very much for not going into the Iraq subject otherwise everyone on this board would really hate me

With no disrespect whatsoever, I would guess that I am probably a little older then you. Brian was my hero through my teenage years, and I still have the ultimate respect for him, as a person and as a musician, but as I have grown older, I tend to take what other people say (particularly about matters such as these) less personally. I would love to meet Brian in a country pub, and wallow in nostalgia with him about the old Queen days (and I'm not referring to Freddie - lol!), and talk techie stuff about guitars, recording, astronomy, etc, but if he started on about politics, I'd be out the door!

What I'm saying is, Brain's opinions on 'other matters', don't affect his abilities as a songwriter / musician, so if you are put off by what you read on the soapbox, go and play a classic Queen album, to renew your faith!

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 14 Feb 06, 15:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You know, JamieSureWould: if you start reading books and if you start learning to spell - maybe some day you will be able to understand what an educated man has to say about issues like war and peace. Maybe you will be even able to read the lecture by Noam Chomsky Brian recommended.

I do not want any google ads here.

-luke_taylor- 28432 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 664 posts

Posted: 14 Feb 06, 15:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

worser???
lol

you know what i meant lol

purples a fruit

Posted: 14 Feb 06, 15:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lord Fickle wrote:

With no disrespect whatsoever, I would guess that I am probably a little older then you. Brian was my hero through my teenage years, and I still have the ultimate respect for him, as a person and as a musician, but as I have grown older, I tend to take what other people say (particularly about matters such as these) less personally. I would love to meet Brian in a country pub, and wallow in nostalgia with him about the old Queen days (and I'm not referring to Freddie - lol!), and talk techie stuff about guitars, recording, astronomy, etc, but if he started on about politics, I'd be out the door!

What I'm saying is, Brain's opinions on 'other matters', don't affect his abilities as a songwriter / musician, so if you are put off by what you read on the soapbox, go and play a classic Queen album, to renew your faith!

i believe that first bit totally, ill get better in time when i get older. After all kids need someone to look up to and i have one, and ill grow out of it more too, so itll get better. Thank you :) you made me realize this

Posted: 14 Feb 06, 15:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YourValentine wrote:

You know, JamieSureWould: if you start reading books and if you start learning to spell - maybe some day you will be able to understand what an educated man has to say about issues like war and peace. Maybe you will be even able to read the lecture by Noam Chomsky Brian recommended.

r u implying i dont know how to spell? cuz if u r u must keep in mind that i could care less about how i spell on the internet, i sit through school get amazing grades and when i wanna take a break from spelling perfectly and write the way i want i come here. So please, i say this trying to be nice lay off me, im not a good speller when im on the computer. If you saw my report card oh boy would u take back what u said. And I do understand what an educated man has to say about issues on war and peace- i get lectured from my Dad- the firefighter of NYC on war and peace and unlike a lot of people these days he sees both sides and knows whats fair and teaches me right.
but yes i think i will read Noam Chomsky :)

please excuse any spelling errors- but im not reading it over...sorry :S

Haystacks Calhoun user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1550 posts

Posted: 14 Feb 06, 16:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian would be a GREAT guy to sit in a pub and drinkn too much Heineken with, without a doubt.

His politics leave a great deal to be desired, but I find it refreshing that he has the courage to post his beliefs on all the different topics that he does on his own site for the world to see.

For the most part, his soapbox entries are well informed, and I learn something from them. I may not agree, but I learn something nonetheless....

"Not a fan of the ladies, are you Trebek?"

Sean Connery

Posted: 14 Feb 06, 16:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Haystacks Calhoun wrote:

His politics leave a great deal to be desired, but I find it refreshing that he has the courage to post his beliefs on all the different topics that he does on his own site for the world to see.

that builds respect in the people reading
kind of like u now, u have a new respeect for him now that u see that he does that right?

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 14 Feb 06, 16:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"r u implying i dont know how to spell?"

Why would I think that? :)

I do not want any google ads here.

latina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 44 posts

Posted: 14 Feb 06, 16:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello,

I believe that Brian is right with his opinion.
Didn't expect him to be that clever.

The problem is the dishonesty of the western world.
Mainly it IS the US.

Yes, some of the arabic people would like to kill us.
Because they hate us.
They hate us because we (mainly US) rape them permanently.
I do understand them.

Posted: 14 Feb 06, 16:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i want the people who are terrorists dead no one else, no one else at all

Haystacks Calhoun user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1550 posts

Posted: 14 Feb 06, 17:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

fantasma wrote:

Hello,

Mainly it IS the US.

Because they hate us.
I do understand them.

So the Arabic world gets a free pass to do what they want to kill us, to try to ruin our economy, because a few are DISHONEST??

The Arabic world gets a free pass to kill innocents, to burn buildings because of a few cartoons??

Have you lost your mind? Al-Qaeda and it's followers DO NOT WANT PEACE! They want the Infidels dead, perion. WE are the ones who want peace.

The argument comes, politically, on how we best achieve that peace.

I wish I had the answer.

"Not a fan of the ladies, are you Trebek?"

Sean Connery
jcrawford79 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 762 posts

Posted: 14 Feb 06, 17:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

fantasma wrote:

Hello,

Mainly it IS the US.

Because they hate us.
I do understand them.

How did this thread get turned into this??

Posted: 14 Feb 06, 19:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Osama has a bunch of followers who pretty much simply all must die and dont say ur dads been bealing with this shit all his life, as if mine hasnt and hasnt lectured me up the ass about whats going on. im quiet aware. once again uve done nothing thomas, thank you :D

Posted: 14 Feb 06, 19:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jcrawford79 wrote:

How did this thread get turned into this??

Well said! But we knew it would. I'll get me coat...