Forums > Personal > Self defense moves

forum rss feed
Author

magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Feb 06, 11:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Does anyone know the terminology for certain defensive moves - upper cut, jab, etc?

I'm a writer, and in my current story, my heroine is a bit naive. Her roommate is tough and has taught her certain moves to use if she ever needs to protect herself. Right now, my heroine - a petite woman - is in a situation where she thinks she may need to use those moves, and I'm wondering what they might be and what they might be called.

Can anyone help me with this?


"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury



magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Feb 06, 12:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You never cease to impress me, Barry. Thank you.


"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury



That guy who digs energy domes user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5020 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Feb 06, 13:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fuck yeah! What are you looking for?

Dropkick, armbar, plancha, leg lock, straight punch, knee, Yakuza kick, capeora roll, head & arm, lateral drop, single leg, double leg, sweep single, 360 double, throw by, elbow drop.....

You need moves? I can keep coming.


Freedom of choice is what you've got

Freedom from choice is what you want



http://queen4ever.19.forumer.com/index.php
magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Feb 06, 13:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Of Wrestling<h6>Jamie's Bitch</h6> wrote:

Fuck yeah! What are you looking for?

Dropkick, armbar, plancha, leg lock, straight punch, knee, Yakuza kick, capeora roll, head & arm, lateral drop, single leg, double leg, sweep single, 360 double, throw by, elbow drop.....

You need moves? I can keep coming.


Oh boy, got a live one! Love it! :-)

Okay - here's my scenario - my heroine is walking along a stream in a secluded area of a public park. This guy is there - she's seen him a couple of times around town but doesn't know him. She keeps walking; he catches up and starts chatting. It when he calls her by her name that she gets really scared, wondering how he knows her.

So... she would start thinking of ways to fight him off if she needs to. I love the names of the moves you gave me, but I don’t know what they are or which ones would she consider using. Remember - she's petite (if that matters), maybe 5'2" or 5'3'. He's a big guy - say 6' and outweighs her considerably.

By the way - she's a bit of a girly-girl, so sudden knock-down, drag-outs won’t work for her, you know?

Thanks for this!!



"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury



Music Man user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2346 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Feb 06, 13:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

magicalfreddiemercury wrote:

Queen Of Wrestling<h6>Jamie's Bitch</h6> wrote:

Fuck yeah! What are you looking for?

Dropkick, armbar, plancha, leg lock, straight punch, knee, Yakuza kick, capeora roll, head & arm, lateral drop, single leg, double leg, sweep single, 360 double, throw by, elbow drop.....

You need moves? I can keep coming.


Oh boy, got a live one! Love it! :-)

Okay - here's my scenario - my heroine is walking along a stream in a secluded area of a public park. This guy is there - she's seen him a couple of times around town but doesn't know him. She keeps walking; he catches up and starts chatting. It when he calls her by her name that she gets really scared, wondering how he knows her.

So... she would start thinking of ways to fight him off if she needs to. I love the names of the moves you gave me, but I don’t know what they are or which ones would she consider using. Remember - she's petite (if that matters), maybe 5'2" or 5'3'. He's a big guy - say 6' and outweighs her considerably.

By the way - she's a bit of a girly-girl, so sudden knock-down, drag-outs won’t work for her, you know?

Thanks for this!!


Learning a few moves will not help a five foot woman take out a six foot man. Maybe if she had considerable training in the martial arts it would be different.

The only move I can see working is the good old fashioned "groin kick."


Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Feb 06, 13:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

She doesn't need to take him out, necessarily. She just needs to work it out in her mind so she feels some confidence. Then, if she has to do anything, it would only be something that helps her get away. The good old-fashioned groin kick would work, but... what else?


"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury



its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Feb 06, 14:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Of Wrestling<h6>Jamie's Bitch</h6> wrote:

Fuck yeah! What are you looking for?

Dropkick, armbar, plancha, leg lock, straight punch, knee, Yakuza kick, capeora roll, head & arm, lateral drop, single leg, double leg, sweep single, 360 double, throw by, elbow drop.....

You need moves? I can keep coming.


LOL!!!

yamaha user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 314 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Feb 06, 22:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John Wayne taught me that you can bring a big man down by going after the knee. Otherwise, a punch to the throat, or a shot to the family jewels should do the trick.

That guy who digs energy domes user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5020 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Feb 06, 22:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

magicalfreddiemercury wrote:

Queen Of Wrestling<h6>Jamie's Bitch</h6> wrote:

Fuck yeah! What are you looking for?

Dropkick, armbar, plancha, leg lock, straight punch, knee, Yakuza kick, capeora roll, head & arm, lateral drop, single leg, double leg, sweep single, 360 double, throw by, elbow drop.....

You need moves? I can keep coming.


Oh boy, got a live one! Love it! :-)

Okay - here's my scenario - my heroine is walking along a stream in a secluded area of a public park. This guy is there - she's seen him a couple of times around town but doesn't know him. She keeps walking; he catches up and starts chatting. It when he calls her by her name that she gets really scared, wondering how he knows her.

So... she would start thinking of ways to fight him off if she needs to. I love the names of the moves you gave me, but I don’t know what they are or which ones would she consider using. Remember - she's petite (if that matters), maybe 5'2" or 5'3'. He's a big guy - say 6' and outweighs her considerably.

By the way - she's a bit of a girly-girl, so sudden knock-down, drag-outs won’t work for her, you know?

Thanks for this!!


Unless she is going to kill the crocodile next to her, cut off the head and throw it at him, I would suggest a few things

1. good old low blow- always works

2. if she is remotley strong, you could have the guy put an arm on her and she hits him with an arm drag or jap whizzer which is simply taking the arm over your shoulder and using your hips to toss them over your back- then she takes off

or, if she has martial arts background, possibly in muay thai or capaeora, she would be able to throw a punch or kick and that would change things

if she just knows basic defense, she could punch him in the armpit because that hurts like hell

if she would get put in a chokehold, an elbow to the ribs would be nice

fight or flight response could also play a big role, people can do amazing things under pressure

it really depends on how you want to grow her as a character, if you want her stomping mudholes in people later, she should progress accordingly

You can get my Email or MSN from my profile and from there Ill do what I can


Freedom of choice is what you've got

Freedom from choice is what you want



http://queen4ever.19.forumer.com/index.php
Music Man user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2346 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Feb 06, 00:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Too bad the armpit is pretty much the easiest location on the human body to defend.


Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
That guy who digs energy domes user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5020 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Feb 06, 08:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Music Man wrote:

Too bad the armpit is pretty much the easiest location on the human body to defend.


Really, then why is it a staple in most martial arts? and really, how hard is it to parry a shot and then counter with that? or are black belt teachers lying to me?


Freedom of choice is what you've got

Freedom from choice is what you want



http://queen4ever.19.forumer.com/index.php
Music Man user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2346 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Feb 06, 15:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Of Wrestling<h6>Jamie's Bitch</h6> wrote:

Music Man wrote:

Too bad the armpit is pretty much the easiest location on the human body to defend.


Really, then why is it a staple in most martial arts? and really, how hard is it to parry a shot and then counter with that? or are black belt teachers lying to me?


Funny, how another staple in martial arts is to keep your God damn arms to your side so this never happens.

Honestly, I challenge you to name an easier location to defend.


Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
Forever88 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Forever88
Royalty: 1465 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Feb 06, 16:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Of Wrestling<h6>Jamie's Bitch</h6> wrote:

Music Man wrote:

Too bad the armpit is pretty much the easiest location on the human body to defend.


Really, then why is it a staple in most martial arts? and really, how hard is it to parry a shot and then counter with that? or are black belt teachers lying to me?


They probably ate a baby.


Nonono, you don't understand, that is NOT why I have this gerbil!
magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Feb 06, 17:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Of Wrestling<h6>Jamie's Bitch</h6> wrote:



if she just knows basic defense, she could punch him in the armpit because that hurts like hell

if she would get put in a chokehold, an elbow to the ribs would be nice

fight or flight response could also play a big role, people can do amazing things under pressure

it really depends on how you want to grow her as a character, if you want her stomping mudholes in people later, she should progress accordingly

You can get my Email or MSN from my profile and from there Ill do what I can


Thank you for the email/msn offer. I may take you up on that for future scenes if you don't mind.

I know the armpit move has created an issue here, but I actually like that. It's unexpected (for me) and since he's not thinking she's into self-defense, would he expect that move from her? Personally, I doubt it - and like it a lot.

AND... since she won't actually be fighting in this scene but only considering her options, later when she does have to fight for herself, this move will make sense to the reader because she's already thought it through.

I also like the elbow to the ribs - later she is grabbed from behind, so I would guess that would be her first move, yes?

What about the instep stomp I've heard about in the past? Is it of any value?


"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury



That guy who digs energy domes user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5020 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Feb 06, 22:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Music Man wrote:

Queen Of Wrestling<h6>Jamie's Bitch</h6> wrote:

Music Man wrote:

Too bad the armpit is pretty much the easiest location on the human body to defend.


Really, then why is it a staple in most martial arts? and really, how hard is it to parry a shot and then counter with that? or are black belt teachers lying to me?


Funny, how another staple in martial arts is to keep your God damn arms to your side so this never happens.

Honestly, I challenge you to name an easier location to defend.


Tell the arms at your sides thing to all the people I coach.

But an easier spot to defend? What about your back? Only a moron would give someone their back.

Believe me, it does work. Next time you get a chance, look how stretched one's arm can get while throwing a punch. See, now its open.


Freedom of choice is what you've got

Freedom from choice is what you want



http://queen4ever.19.forumer.com/index.php
That guy who digs energy domes user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5020 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Feb 06, 22:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

magicalfreddiemercury wrote:

Queen Of Wrestling<h6>Jamie's Bitch</h6> wrote:



if she just knows basic defense, she could punch him in the armpit because that hurts like hell

if she would get put in a chokehold, an elbow to the ribs would be nice

fight or flight response could also play a big role, people can do amazing things under pressure

it really depends on how you want to grow her as a character, if you want her stomping mudholes in people later, she should progress accordingly

You can get my Email or MSN from my profile and from there Ill do what I can


Thank you for the email/msn offer. I may take you up on that for future scenes if you don't mind.

I know the armpit move has created an issue here, but I actually like that. It's unexpected (for me) and since he's not thinking she's into self-defense, would he expect that move from her? Personally, I doubt it - and like it a lot.

AND... since she won't actually be fighting in this scene but only considering her options, later when she does have to fight for herself, this move will make sense to the reader because she's already thought it through.

I also like the elbow to the ribs - later she is grabbed from behind, so I would guess that would be her first move, yes?

What about the instep stomp I've heard about in the past? Is it of any value?


if youre referring to the instep stomp I learned in Karate, its not much more than a glorified stomp on the foot- but it can work.

What could be cool would be her learning Grappling, which is like Freestyle wrestling where strikes and submissions are allowed. Im not saying she should hit a german suplex or anything, but submissions are not out of the question.

Well, I'll look forward to it.


Freedom of choice is what you've got

Freedom from choice is what you want



http://queen4ever.19.forumer.com/index.php
Forever88 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Forever88
Royalty: 1465 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Feb 06, 23:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

she should fight nazi robots from mars that have a 20% cheese composition.


Nonono, you don't understand, that is NOT why I have this gerbil!
Music Man user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2346 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Feb 06, 02:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Of Wrestling<h6>Jamie's Bitch</h6> wrote:

Music Man wrote:

Queen Of Wrestling<h6>Jamie's Bitch</h6> wrote:

Music Man wrote:

Too bad the armpit is pretty much the easiest location on the human body to defend.


Really, then why is it a staple in most martial arts? and really, how hard is it to parry a shot and then counter with that? or are black belt teachers lying to me?


Funny, how another staple in martial arts is to keep your God damn arms to your side so this never happens.

Honestly, I challenge you to name an easier location to defend.


Tell the arms at your sides thing to all the people I coach.

But an easier spot to defend? What about your back? Only a moron would give someone their back.

Believe me, it does work. Next time you get a chance, look how stretched one's arm can get while throwing a punch. See, now its open.


Haha, okay. I understand what you mean. But I still think it's pretty darn difficult to land a punch there. Just out of curiosity, what style of martial arts do you study, and at what level?


Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
That guy who digs energy domes user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5020 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Feb 06, 12:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Music Man wrote:

Queen Of Wrestling<h6>Jamie's Bitch</h6> wrote:

Music Man wrote:

Queen Of Wrestling<h6>Jamie's Bitch</h6> wrote:

Music Man wrote:

Too bad the armpit is pretty much the easiest location on the human body to defend.


Really, then why is it a staple in most martial arts? and really, how hard is it to parry a shot and then counter with that? or are black belt teachers lying to me?


Funny, how another staple in martial arts is to keep your God damn arms to your side so this never happens.

Honestly, I challenge you to name an easier location to defend.


Tell the arms at your sides thing to all the people I coach.

But an easier spot to defend? What about your back? Only a moron would give someone their back.

Believe me, it does work. Next time you get a chance, look how stretched one's arm can get while throwing a punch. See, now its open.


Haha, okay. I understand what you mean. But I still think it's pretty darn difficult to land a punch there. Just out of curiosity, what style of martial arts do you study, and at what level?


I took karate to brown belt for 3 years but I quit that and 3 years later I started wrestling.

So about

3 years karate
6 years folkstyle wrestling
3 years freestyle wrestling
1 year grappling

and then 11 years of pro wrestling


Freedom of choice is what you've got

Freedom from choice is what you want



http://queen4ever.19.forumer.com/index.php
Sherwood Forest user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3547 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Feb 06, 13:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i took 3 years of kickboxing


One should ANALize the Poetry on page 43, when Oedipus is rollin' in his benzo and he has to bust a cap on some flagrants in the under city



http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/image/essay/1