Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > What is regarded as Queen's finest show?

forum rss feed
Author

JHelba user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 5 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Feb 06, 11:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Who have Live at Leeds which may be the best concert ever. But what is considered the night when Queen were just spectacular? Also what is the best Queen show that is available either via bootleg or release?

vinny2256_ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 119 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Feb 06, 13:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Live Aid Live Aid Live Aid Live Aid Live Aid Live Aid Live Aid Live Aid Live Aid Live Aid Live Aid

The Flash Danny Project user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 166 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Feb 06, 22:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've only been on these boards for a few days but I've already read like five different topics regarding the best Queen show. Use the Search option, mate - it's the best thing since slice bread.

(Actually, the Flash Danny Project is the best thing since slice bread :-)

To be honest, since no two shows were alike, it could be anyone's guess. Each show had A KIND OF MAGIC about it.

Nuff said.


Insert stupid signature here
Nummer2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 863 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Feb 06, 01:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Even when only official releases are considered, there's no clear favourite. It depends on people's taste, esp. regarding the setlist.

When you take into account all circulating bootlegs, it's much more difficult, because not only the performance counts but also sound quality can make a big difference.

And then there are recordings that don't circulate yet but exist in the hands of a few collectors. Who knows, what gems are still unrevealed to the public?

Okay, and then there are concerts, that never were recorded or at least where a recording isn't accessible. My guess is, that there was an absolutely perfect concert – but that was the one where the professional recording device failed and no audience recording exists ;-)

And if you believe the people who attended a show, the gig they saw was the best, of course.

But if you want to have my advice, then look for Hammersmith Odeon 1979. That's near perfect and has excellent sound quality – and parts of it are available on video!


... I'll be back again before it's time for sunny-down ...
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Feb 06, 03:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nummer2 wrote:

Even when only official releases are considered, there's no clear favourite. It depends on people's taste, esp. regarding the setlist.

When you take into account all circulating bootlegs, it's much more difficult, because not only the performance counts but also sound quality can make a big difference.

And then there are recordings that don't circulate yet but exist in the hands of a few collectors. Who knows, what gems are still unrevealed to the public?

Okay, and then there are concerts, that never were recorded or at least where a recording isn't accessible. My guess is, that there was an absolutely perfect concert – but that was the one where the professional recording device failed and no audience recording exists ;-)

And if you believe the people who attended a show, the gig they saw was the best, of course.

But if you want to have my advice, then look for Hammersmith Odeon 1979. That's near perfect and has excellent sound quality – and parts of it are available on video!


Great post. We need more logical people like you here at the board to keep things fresh and interesting.



"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski



http://www.queenlive.ca
JHelba user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 5 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Feb 06, 10:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Where would one locate this show? I only have a work laptop and thusly can not download on to it. Also I have heard Live Aid is great, even The Who said they blew them off the stage that day. I have also read that the tour immediately during or prior Live Aid was exceptional and that Queen was in rare form....What tour was this?

Nummer2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 863 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Feb 06, 11:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The tour 1984/85 was the "Works" tour and is commonly regarded as the least best Queen tour. Average setlist, weak performances, bad sound. Still great, of course, I'm just comparing it to their other tours. Crazy tour 1979, The Game tour 1980, Hot Space tour 1982are my favourites, but which to pick depends on everyone's taste.

Live Aid is available in the shops (the whole concert for charity).
Hammersmith Odeon 1979 (Crazy tour) isn't available officially, look at ebay for a copy!


... I'll be back again before it's time for sunny-down ...
tilomagnet user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 290 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Feb 06, 11:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nummer2 wrote:

The tour 1984/85 was the "Works" tour and is commonly regarded as the least best Queen tour. Average setlist, weak performances, bad sound.


Average? I'd say the Works tour setlist was the best mixture of older material and new songs of all Queen tours.

Nummer2 wrote:

Hammersmith Odeon 1979 (Crazy tour) isn't available officially, look at ebay for a copy!


:-(

Nummer2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 863 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Feb 06, 12:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As I said before, it depends on everyone's taste ;-)


... I'll be back again before it's time for sunny-down ...
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Feb 06, 20:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color = "crimson">ThomasQuinn wrote:

I agree on Hammersmith Odeon '79. Freddie's voice was in perfect condition, the band played really well that night, they were enjoying it, and the setlist is really great. That to me makes it the best show ever.


This is the only show from the Crazy Tour we can hear from a decent recording, so clearly we're a bit biased to it! All the other shows from the tour were probably just as good.


"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski



http://www.queenlive.ca
Tiswas user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 43 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Feb 06, 07:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JHelba wrote:

The Who have Live at Leeds which may be the best concert ever.

Just for info, according to Roger Daltery, Live At Leeds was not their best concert ever, it was not even their best one that week. The day after the Leeds gig they played at Hull and this was an even better gig - however, there was a problem in the recording of the show (no bass recorded or something like that) so the live album had to be made from the 'weaker' Leeds recording.

Smitty user not visiting Queenzone.com
Cool, we have display messages
Smitty
Deity: 6196 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Feb 06, 09:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FIND THE HIDDEN MESSAAGE!!


although, i like all of the Stuff That quEen Productions puts out FOR the worlD.

Sorry, I just had to do that.

It doesn't apply to anyone though. I just got the idea.

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Feb 06, 18:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color = "crimson">ThomasQuinn wrote:

Sir GH<br><h6>ah yeah</h6> wrote:

<b><font color = "crimson">ThomasQuinn wrote:

I agree on Hammersmith Odeon '79. Freddie's voice was in perfect condition, the band played really well that night, they were enjoying it, and the setlist is really great. That to me makes it the best show ever.


This is the only show from the Crazy Tour we can hear from a decent recording, so clearly we're a bit biased to it! All the other shows from the tour were probably just as good.


True, but seeing as the recording of this show is superior, that would give it an edge over any show of the SAME quality, wouldn't it?


I don't understand what you mean...

If a recording of another show from this tour comes out in the same quality as the Hammersmith recording, I'm sure the show will be just as good. I'd say Freddie's voice was in better shape in the Newcastle shows, so surely there must have been some fantastic shows all through the tour.


"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski



http://www.queenlive.ca
ibanez122 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 302 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Feb 06, 20:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH<br><h6>ah yeah</h6> wrote:

<b><font color = "crimson">ThomasQuinn wrote:

Sir GH<br><h6>ah yeah</h6> wrote:

<b><font color = "crimson">ThomasQuinn wrote:

I agree on Hammersmith Odeon '79. Freddie's voice was in perfect condition, the band played really well that night, they were enjoying it, and the setlist is really great. That to me makes it the best show ever.


This is the only show from the Crazy Tour we can hear from a decent recording, so clearly we're a bit biased to it! All the other shows from the tour were probably just as good.


True, but seeing as the recording of this show is superior, that would give it an edge over any show of the SAME quality, wouldn't it?


I don't understand what you mean...

If a recording of another show from this tour comes out in the same quality as the Hammersmith recording, I'm sure the show will be just as good. I'd say Freddie's voice was in better shape in the Newcastle shows, so surely there must have been some fantastic shows all through the tour.


I was goning to bring up that point. His voice would almost have to bee in good shape throughout that tour. I may be wrong, but didnt the Crazy Tour last for a little over a month.

After the LK's tour and a rested voice, he tore it up for a good few years (late 79 through sometime 82) then saw the decrease in the high notes in his voice (hence sing in a lower register)

JHelba user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 5 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Feb 06, 21:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, the tapes to Hull got mucked up, the show's were really only put on to help Keith get over running his limo drivers head over a few weeks before. Pete especially liked Live at the Isle of Wight. However, Leeds is truly regarded as the finest recorded concert ever put on by any band ever, with Cheap Trick Live at Budakhan (sp) a close second. The thing is is that The Who consistantly played their hits, and something I notice about Queen is all their shows depend on one's taste. Why are they so eclectic in their song choice and performance? Every other band from the 70's you knew what you were getting noght after night tour after tour, some shows may be performed better but there were no complaints about setlists as with Queen. I love Queen but so many concerts I skip around alot while listening.

Nummer2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 863 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Feb 06, 04:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH<br><h6>ah yeah</h6> wrote:

<b><font color = "crimson">ThomasQuinn wrote:

Sir GH<br><h6>ah yeah</h6> wrote:

<b><font color = "crimson">ThomasQuinn wrote:

I agree on Hammersmith Odeon '79. Freddie's voice was in perfect condition, the band played really well that night, they were enjoying it, and the setlist is really great. That to me makes it the best show ever.


This is the only show from the Crazy Tour we can hear from a decent recording, so clearly we're a bit biased to it! All the other shows from the tour were probably just as good.


True, but seeing as the recording of this show is superior, that would give it an edge over any show of the SAME quality, wouldn't it?


I don't understand what you mean...

If a recording of another show from this tour comes out in the same quality as the Hammersmith recording, I'm sure the show will be just as good. I'd say Freddie's voice was in better shape in the Newcastle shows, so surely there must have been some fantastic shows all through the tour.


I see your point, Sir GH, but I always thought of the Hammersmith show as something special. Of course the good sound quality and the video give it an advantage over any other known Crazy tour concerts. But still it's different. It has no flaws at all, everything is near perfect and in some parts even better: audience interaction, the Silent Night surprise in Brian's Solo, the singalong part in CLTCL. Maybe it was the cameras that made them try hardest or the charity aspect?


... I'll be back again before it's time for sunny-down ...
ok.computer user not visiting Queenzone.com
ok.computer
Bohemian: 600 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Feb 06, 04:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JHelba wrote:

Also I have heard Live Aid is great, even The Who said they blew them off the stage that day.


That'll be a day that Townshend was on drugs then...

The Who's performance that day was errrrrmmmm..shite!


"Just tryin' to have a little fun, folks..."
breakthru1989 user not visiting Queenzone.com
breakthru1989
Bohemian: 340 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Feb 06, 18:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

HELLO...
for me knebworth park because its there final show that gives something spiritual to me.




hello all you rock ’n’ rollers

it’s enourrrrrmous out here

it’s frightning i tell you

soooooooo beautiful.

queen live at KNEBWORTH PARK MAGIC ’86
Freddie_Jr. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 173 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Mar 06, 20:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm pretty sure there greatest show isn't something that was filmed, my father saw them 3 times, all in the 70's, and he said that concerts in the DVD's (both commercial and not) just straight up suck compared to the concerts he saw.


Wear a rubber next time Freddie =(
goinback user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 997 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Mar 06, 22:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah hopefully there is some good footage out there somewhere...I don't think new fans really can "get it" with what's officially released on DVD/VHS....


"I have no time for Time magazine. Or Rolling Stone." Jethro Tull