Forums > Queen - General Discussion > What is BO RHAP about?

forum rss feed
Author

RETROLOVE user not visiting Queenzone.com
RETROLOVE
Deity: 2522 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Feb 06, 04:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

People are always trying to figure out what the song means...this is my take on it, its not the gospel:

Theres this Bohemian that roams the street, and somehow he ends up killing a man, maybe he was trying to rob him, but killed him by accident???...well, I think the setting of bohemian rhapsody is like in a courtroom, and like, he's pleading to his mother saying that he doesnt want to die...(so I'm guessing that most have sentenced him to death) and he's having regrets about what he did, but he also facing up to it...but in the opera-like verse(where things start to speed up) of the song, were the band is like "let him go" I think thats when the Bohemian's mother is saying let him go...and the judge is like no, no no,....thats my take on in....

Basically the song is about a Bohemian who commits a crime and has to pay for what he did...I just find the lyrics very haunting, because 15 years after song came out, Freddie actually did pass away, and in the song, he's talking about how he doesnt want to die...very haunting!!!

Loving the pass, cherishing the present, and looking forward to the future

RETROLOVE

Posted: 24 Feb 06, 04:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well...actually 16 years...1975-1991, yeah, 16 if my math is correct...and numbers have never been my friend, lol...

great king rat 1138 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 756 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 06, 06:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

your mom...............sorry, I couldn't resist that one!

"I'll probably make loads of plans, and then just sit around on my bottom all day long and do nothing." The Man In The Shadows says it like it is.

http://www.myspace.com/petearnold

Asterik user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 649 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 06, 06:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Please don't anyone say it's about AIDS!

hj
RETROLOVE

Posted: 24 Feb 06, 06:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh, no...its not about AIDS...not that, I hate it when people say that too, I just find the lyrics very haunting! Naw, I hate when people say its about that, myself!!

it was electric7 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 709 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 06, 08:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't know why so many people WANT to know what its about...doesnt it ruin the magic?!

Dear Friends user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 86 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 06, 08:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie Mercury's battle against AIDS.

Anyway the wind blows...
its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 06, 08:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Does it even matter?
It's a just a song, just enjoy it!

goodco user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 371 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 06, 08:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's about 5:55 minutes long, give or take a few seconds, depending on the country it was released, and the type of format it's on.

Live performances vary even more.

"Ladies and gentlemen... I guess that takes in most of you..." Groucho Marx, 'A Night at the Opera'

Jazz 78 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 502 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 06, 10:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh Christ here we go again!!! It's about Freddie coming to terms with his sexuality. It's been noted by Brian that this was a difficult period in his life personally and Freddie was grappling with his sexuality. The man he killed off was Farouk (sp) Bulsara. He's saying goodbye to that person and he has finally become Freddie Mercury. To the public he was ALWAYS Freddie Mercury but in his private life Bulsara was still in the closet. The opera section is just a lot of word play but the front of the song is pretty tongue in cheek. Queen weren't a band to really make up stories in their music. They wrote from personal experiences. And this was the most personal Freddie could get. Especially in '75 when being a young gay man was difficult. Today people "come out" much easier. Society is more understanding and accepting now than 30 years ago.

Posted: 24 Feb 06, 10:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dear Friends wrote:

Freddie Mercury's battle against AIDS.

Interersting theory tee hee.

hj
-luke_taylor- 28432 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 664 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 06, 12:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

its about immortals who cannot die, they are princes of the universe and there fighting for freedom, and his wife dies and he sings the song bohemian rhapsody followed by who wants to live forever. everyone knows that, cmonn you call yourself queen fans lol

purples a fruit
Serpent_of_the_Nile user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 24 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 06, 12:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's about selling his souls to the devil to become famous, but then he realizes he made a mistake and regrets it. Freddie decide he wants to be free again because he doesn't want to die (Mama, Just killed a man...)

He finds out that is too late and there's nothing he can do about it (Too late, my time has come...Gotta leave you all behind and face the truth)

Then He tries to fight Beelzebu (or the Devil)and ask for his release, but the devil is inside of him already: (easy come easy go, will you let me go? Bismillah! No-,we will not let you go.... Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me)

After asking for his release and knowing he won't get it, Freddie decides to fight the devil: (So you think you can stone me and spit in my eye, So you think you can love me and leave me to die, Oh baby-Can't do this to me baby, Just gotta get out-just gotta get right outta here)

Finally, he loses his battle and knows that he is going to die so he accepted (....Nothing Really matters, anyone can see, nothing really matter to me)

The "nothing really matter" and "any way the wind blows" means that he has to carry on with his life and become famous and wait until the devil decide to take his soul, which he finally did in 1991 after a tremendous musical career of "fame, fortune and everything that goes with it."

This is just an opinion, I was inspired by the movie "Crossroads" The only person on this planet who really knows is Mr Roger Taylor.

Mother Mercury, what have you done to me?
~Blue_Acid~ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 117 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 06, 12:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

thats fricken deep there, but to shorten it to the surface its a murder/suicide song.

"Im going to pull an Elvis Costello, but the chorus of this song goes What the hell are we fighting for..."

-Brian May 3/20/06 Pittsburgh @ the Mellon Arena before Hammer To Fall

Posted: 24 Feb 06, 15:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

La Rox(Empress Of The Universe) wrote:

it could be about anything.........

That is just about the most accurate post we've had so far! And isn't that the song's magic?

hj
jimmy sexton user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 42 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 06, 16:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

everything, when there, is nothing................

jimi sexton
jimmy sexton user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 42 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 06, 18:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

one lonley pussycat hey awesome your into queen but if you think the lyrics to bo rhap are haunting listen to [let us cling together] from a day at the races .............peace/light jimi love,........... teo torriate, i believe brian actually wrote this masterpiece

jimi sexton
bryans permed poodle 15069 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 762 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 06, 19:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I believe BO RAP was about a person on DEATH ROW regretting his actions and waiting to be executed..

Paul Rodgers - "Gimp Of The Year 2006"
dougie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 67 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 06, 20:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I recall in a fairly recent interview Brian admitting that he and Freddie NEVER discussed one another's song lyrics. Does anyone else find that disheartening? I mean these guys worked together for about 20 years and were the main creative element of the band (especially in the 70's), yet they were never close enough personally to discuss each other's lyrics . . . ? Sad.

Sithmarauder user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1082 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 06, 22:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jazz 78 wrote:

Oh Christ here we go again!!! It's about Freddie coming to terms with his sexuality. It's been noted by Brian that this was a difficult period in his life personally and Freddie was grappling with his sexuality. The man he killed off was Farouk (sp) Bulsara. He's saying goodbye to that person and he has finally become Freddie Mercury. To the public he was ALWAYS Freddie Mercury but in his private life Bulsara was still in the closet. The opera section is just a lot of word play but the front of the song is pretty tongue in cheek. Queen weren't a band to really make up stories in their music. They wrote from personal experiences. And this was the most personal Freddie could get. Especially in '75 when being a young gay man was difficult. Today people "come out" much easier. Society is more understanding and accepting now than 30 years ago.

Yes! I agree with you, It's very likely about Freddie coming to terms with himself being gay. The man he killed was the heterosexual that the public knew and basically the rest of the song is about how the world would judge him being a homosexual. I realize that this is subject to opinion but I always believed that this is the best guess to what the song means.

"If we look half as good to you as you do to me, we must look good" Brian May

"No, Innuendo is not an Italian suppository, it's a Queen album."