Forums > Queen - General Discussion > What "Era of Queen" did you like best: 70's Vs.80's?

forum rss feed
Author

RETROLOVE user not visiting Queenzone.com
RETROLOVE
Deity: 2522 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Feb 06, 04:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think I know what everybody's answer is gonna be, and mines is the 70's Queen, and 1980 with "The Game" album...But I liked them the best in 1977, the songs, their appearance, everything!!

What about you?

Loving the pass, cherishing the present, and looking forward to the future

TheImpossibleMan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 24 Feb 06, 06:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nevermind that their output was more prolific (7 albums to five) in the 70's, but 70's Queen pwns 80's Queen. Albums like A Night at the Opera, News of the World, and Queen II are better than any 80's Queen album. This is not to say that 80's Queen is bad, but squirrel please, Queen was much better in the 70's.

This is what you wanted, this is what you're going to get.
Asterik user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 649 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 06, 06:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yes in terms of quality Queen were far beter in the seventies but in presence and spectacle the eighties ahve it. Funnily enough, I thought their eighties singles were better than their seventies ones but they were unable to produce the high standards across a whole album in the latter decade.

hj
RETROLOVE user not visiting Queenzone.com
RETROLOVE
Deity: 2522 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 06, 06:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, their music in the 80's is totally different from their music in the 70's, they really went pop!!! Totally different...not to say that it was any better or worse, it was just different(Radio-GaGa, I want to break free, for instance, very pop!)...but come to think of it, EVERYTHING WAS POP BACK IN THE 80'S...even R&B/funk/soul went pop back in the 80's...as soon as disco died, and new wave came out, everything went pop...!

Loving the pass, cherishing the present, and looking forward to the future

IlariaTaylor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 211 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 06, 12:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Absolutely the 70's!!!!!!!!!!!! or better.......the early 70's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They're great in this period!!!!!!!!!!!!AAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!FABULOUS 70'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE THE 70'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LONG LIFE TO ROCK N' FUCKIN' ROLL!
Vallentine's user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 41 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 06, 12:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Definitely the late 70's !!!

Just the fact that Crazy Little Thing Called Love is written during the late 70's period is too heavy!

But their best era is their last in my opinion
I mean 1986 - 1991

~Blue_Acid~ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 117 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 06, 13:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

early 70's lie 71-t5 looks and music style was very different, but i also like the late 08's early 90's looks

"Im going to pull an Elvis Costello, but the chorus of this song goes What the hell are we fighting for..."

-Brian May 3/20/06 Pittsburgh @ the Mellon Arena before Hammer To Fall
dougie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 67 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 06, 13:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sometimes it's better to be self-indulgent than to "give them what they want." Queen music was so much more interesting in the 70's.

goodco user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 371 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 06, 13:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'll bet it's the same as the previous thread relating to this topic...and the thread before that....and the thread before that......and before that.......

"Ladies and gentlemen... I guess that takes in most of you..." Groucho Marx, 'A Night at the Opera'

it was electric7 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 709 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 06, 13:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

70s!!!

Oszmercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 229 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 06, 13:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

All queen is best!

70's: Proto-prog, glam, hard and punk
80's: Pop, Synth, Soul, Class
90's: Pure Magic, all queens in one album

Loser in the end!!!
Oszmercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 229 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 06, 13:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

All queen is best!

70's: Proto-prog, glam, hard and punk
80's: Pop, Synth, Soul, Class
90's: Pure Magic, all queens in one album

Loser in the end!!!
jimmy sexton user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 42 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 06, 19:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

70,s for sure but all queen music is # 1.......live in rio is their triumph from the 80's though, pure magic

jimi sexton
its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 06, 19:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Kinda hard... but i guess it has to be the 70s for me.

abe user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 52 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 06, 22:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To Me, 1977-1980 were Queens greatest years, why? because of their sheer aggression with their energy of their music and presentation. As a live act they were untouchable, only KISS would probably rival Queen as a high energy live act in those years, and that is saying something!!!

The band sounded extremely tight together when performing live on stage, hands down, Queen were still considered this hard kicking heavy - rock outfit that had a real mystique that was not totally revealled or rivalled. Queen in particular were seen in this way in the States, as a powerful tough rock group where they showed that British rock bands knew how to rock and party.

Only Queen fans dug their music, cause they sounded so Queen like, they hadn't yet got that mainstream sound like they did in the mid 80's, where there were synths that at times appeared to meddle with some of their songs. No, in this era (77-80) it was heavy drums, guitars and Mercury's pinao that presented the tough and delicate Queen sound.

In this era we also got to see a transformation in Queen, more so with Mercury, alas the mostache that came in 1980!!! Mercury wearing the Flash t-shirt just looks so cool as well!! The albums were damn cool too, News of The World, Jazz, Live Killers and The Game, all complemented with awesome live tours too boot!!!! Man I wish I was around those years!!!

Mercury still looked and felt the true young rock star and May, Taylor and even Deacon all looked fucken awesome, Deacon would be tapping his toe when thundering out those heavy bass lines and he looked like he was loving it, he looks mean as in AOBTD video, people I dont know what happend to Johnny the boy after 1980, but the less said about Deacon's presentation after 1980 in Queen, the better.

People not to say Queen rocked in the 80's, they certainly did ROCK, but I think there were alot more dour moments where Queen looked like they wanted to be elsewhere that being in Queen.

Kudos to Queen all round, more so in my books in the illustrious 1977-1980 era.

The prophet's song user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1044 posts

Posted: 24 Feb 06, 23:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I may be an 80's child (just) but I'm voting 70's all the way. I just bought Queen, Queen II and News of the World and I'm loving them!

"Either this kid has a lightbulb up his ass or his colon has a great idea"
bohemian_killer_queen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 26 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 06, 01:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen rocked more in da 70's cos Freddie sooo dam hot then cos he had his long still n yea the music was much more creative, i loved his voice better then too, also they were alot younger, 80s were good but it never beat the 70s thats for sure.

Ashleigh Mercury Depp
LewisJackSponge user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 1 posts

Posted: 08 Apr 15, 09:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love all Queen music, but I prefer most of their 70s songs, despite the fact there where good ones in the 80s as well. I also love all their appearances, but I prefer their 80s persona personally, moustache ftw

goose44 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 65 posts

Posted: 08 Apr 15, 09:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PAUL RODGERS AND ADAM LAMBERT YEARS IS WHAT MADE QUEEN QUEEN. BOLLOCKS TO MR. DEACON FOR NOT KNOWING WHO THE REAL QUEEN IS.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 08 Apr 15, 09:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

70's by far.

More multi-tracked guitars, more acoustic parts, more complex harmonies, more piano, more big deep percussion, more melodic bass, less synths, less machines, no MIDI, no programming, less pop crap.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.