forum rss feed
Author

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18636 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 Feb 06, 00:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.bpnews.net/bpnews.asp?ID=22627

"Opponents of the bill tried unsuccessfully Feb. 9 to add an amendment making an exception for rape and incest."

Three cheers for republican compassion. Welcome to the USA in 2006. One more reason why I am proud to live in Canada.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
jcrawford79 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 762 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 06, 00:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I hate to sound like a hippie, but this is why I am so annoyed by the "Christian Right." Always interfering in everyone else's business. Roe vs. Wade will be overhauled next. Damn conservatives.....

Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 06, 01:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH<br><h6>ah yeah</h6> wrote:

"Opponents of the bill tried unsuccessfully Feb. 9 to add an amendment making an exception for rape and incest."

Three cheers for republican compassion. Welcome to the USA in 2006. One more reason why I am proud to live in Canada.

Does this really have to do with a lack of compassion? Or is it more legally wrangling since the bill is meant to end up at the Supreme Court anyways?

DJ's the man we love the most
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 06, 07:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am certainly not surprised, but I am scared this law would spread to the rest of the country.

The worst thing that could happen is that it becomes a federal law.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 06, 09:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Can I come live with you?

I love my country, I do. But the past few years here have been a complete and utter embarrassment.

"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 06, 09:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm against the idea of partial birth abortion. I've researched some articles on the subject, and apparently it's something close to murdurering someone that can already be described as a mostly developed human being.

Personally I think that abortions could only be performed 3 months after conception.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Forever88 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Forever88
Royalty: 1465 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 06, 11:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

magicalfreddiemercury wrote:

Can I come live with you?

I love my country, I do. But the past few years here have been a complete and utter embarrassment.

me too, i think americas all down hill from here.

Nonono, you don't understand, that is NOT why I have this gerbil!
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18636 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 06, 18:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zeni wrote:

Does this really have to do with a lack of compassion? Or is it more legally wrangling since the bill is meant to end up at the Supreme Court anyways?

Yes, it's a lack of compassion for people who are left with a difficult choice, perhaps after being raped. I can't believe we're in the 21st century, and the Christian right still has such a loud voice.

Ravenetta wrote:

Mr.Jingles wrote:

Personally I think that abortions could only be performed 3 months after conception.

you mean during the first 3 months?

Haha, let's hope so!

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Music Man user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2346 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 06, 19:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Like, say, mostly anyone I've ever discussed this topic with, I think that abortion should be reserved for victims of rape and incest. Period. And the abortion should be completed as soon as humanly possible. It's a very simple concept that most people can agree on.

I'm kind of tired of teenage girls and other irresponsible people using abortion as "birth control: take 2." In this way, I am against the Roe v. Wade decision, and find it in much need of modification.

However, I do lean in favor of Pro-choice over Pro-life - if I absolutely had to pick one. But the fact is, we don't have to pick one. There is a middle road out there.

Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
magicalfreddiemercury

Posted: 25 Feb 06, 19:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Music Man wrote:

I'm kind of tired of teenage girls and other irresponsible people using abortion as "birth control: take 2." In this way, I am against the Roe v. Wade decision, and find it in much need of modification.

Roe v. Wade is actually about privacy. What goes on between a patient and a doctor is supposed to stay between that patient and that doctor. It's not exactly a permission slip to abort on demand, but acknowledges abortion the same way as any another medical procedure.

"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury

Posted: 25 Feb 06, 20:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Music Man wrote:

Roe v. Wade is actually about privacy. What goes on between a patient and a doctor is supposed to stay between that patient and that doctor. It's not exactly a permission slip to abort on demand, but acknowledges abortion the same way as any another medical procedure.

It's not exactly a permission slip to abort on demand, however it is just as effective as one.

Posted: 25 Feb 06, 20:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Roe decision completely disallows state legislatures from limiting abortions in the first trimester, and can only restrict abortions in the second trimester that pertain to maternal health. This is pretty much as close to a permission slip as you can get.

"The Court apparently values the convenience of the pregnant mother more than the continued existence and development of the life or potential life that she carries."

In my opinion, rape, incest, or the endangerment of the life of the mother are the only valid reasons to obtain an abortion. The first two are protected under the fact that the victim had no choice in the conception of the child, and the last one is protected under the fact that the value of the mother's life outweighs the potential, uncertain life of the aborted child. Other than those, I challenge anyone to find a valid excuse for abortion.

Might I also note, that it is imperative to the rights of all women everywhere that they MUST BE PROTECTED under these cases at all possible times.

magicalfreddiemercury

Posted: 25 Feb 06, 20:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Music Man wrote:

It's not exactly a permission slip to abort on demand, however it is just as effective as one.

I guess bottom line is, if Roe v. Wade is overturned, then decisions about privacy/abortion will be given to the states. Red states will have one law, and blue states will have another. That will add hardships to many and thrills to many others. It's sad that the country is so divided, but that seems to be the reality of it, doesn't it?

Posted: 25 Feb 06, 20:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Music Man wrote:

I guess bottom line is, if Roe v. Wade is overturned, then decisions about privacy/abortion will be given to the states. Red states will have one law, and blue states will have another. That will add hardships to many and thrills to many others. It's sad that the country is so divided, but that seems to be the reality of it, doesn't it?

I agree that Roe v. Wade should not be flat out overturned. But I think it is important that it should be modified through another decision. As of now, it's pretty much forcing ALL the states to be blue states.

Although I must admit that every now and then I consider the repercussions of this middle of the road idea. While it is in every way correct, it will undoubtedly create many unwanted side effects.

magicalfreddiemercury

Posted: 25 Feb 06, 21:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Music Man wrote:

Other than those, I challenge anyone to find a valid excuse for abortion.

But who would decide what's 'valid'? You? Me? A stranger in a long black robe? Or the woman and her doctor? I hear what you're saying about using abortion as birth control, and I agree. I'm sure many people agree. But then, how many of us shake our heads at pregnant teens or unwed mothers with step-ladder kids in tow? Damned either way it seems. This will always be a hot-button issue with the two sides battling to the end.

magicalfreddiemercury

Posted: 25 Feb 06, 21:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Our messages are overlapping. :-)

DavidRFuller user not visiting Queenzone.com
DavidRFuller
Bohemian: 965 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 06, 21:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

theres a SOUTH Dakota now?

Posted: 25 Feb 06, 21:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Music Man wrote:

Other than those, I challenge anyone to find a valid excuse for abortion.

But who would decide what's 'valid'? You? Me? A stranger in a long black robe? Or the woman and her doctor? I hear what you're saying about using abortion as birth control, and I agree. I'm sure many people agree. But then, how many of us shake our heads at pregnant teens or unwed mothers with step-ladder kids in tow? Damned either way it seems. This will always be a hot-button issue with the two sides battling to the end.

Ah, valid point. I suppose one thing it should do is teach people to use effective contraception or just keep it in their pants until they can actually handle the responsibility.

Ha, or they should institute a three strikes and you're out law. After your third abortion you can't have anymore. That's cute.

magicalfreddiemercury

Posted: 25 Feb 06, 22:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Music Man wrote:

Ha, or they should institute a three strikes and you're out law. After your third abortion you can't have anymore. That's cute.

Love this. :-)

iron eagle user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3793 posts

Posted: 25 Feb 06, 22:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

as an adopted child;
one that could have easily been aborted in a back alley illegal abortion house on the streets of boston--

i see abortion very differently i suppose then most

its something that tears at me every time i hear it discussed, politicalized and talked about--

i see both sides, really i do--- its a terrible and difficult choice for some--and a walk in the park for others

nothing though takes away the fact i could have ended up in a plastic bag in a trash can

i am grateful to my unknown birth mother that she decided on life for me...

richard thanks you where ever you are.......

i got a way with the boys on my block.. :-)