Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Queen professional video records and, espacially, Munich 78 & Rotterdam 79

forum rss feed
Author

Seven_Seas_Of_Rhye II user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 709 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Feb 06, 12:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why couldn't somebody from Queen production (or so on) take a professional look at what Queen concert videos exist? It seems that nobody does any research in this field... Where is Brian May who always takes care about Queen material? Let them do it and show us the results. I came to this thoughts after I saw this great Munich 1978 video torrent. It's really a fantastic thing!!! I don't understand why was it recorded by Japanese TV??!! What's the total length of this video? They just recorded 2-3 songs for a report or the plenty part of the show? Ohh, friends, Big time, Big time for all of us! The same questions about Rotterdam 1979.

Cheers!

Take this letter that I give you

Take it sonny hold it high

You won't understand a word that's in it

But you'll write it all again before you die
YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 06, 14:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The two songs from Munich 78 were not recorded by the Japanese TV, they were recorded by German TV. In 2004 the Japanese TV showed a Queen programme to promote the "Jewels" release and Munich/Rotterdam were shown in this programme. Surely, QP can get copies of such TV shows anytime. I think the Rotterdam material was originally recorded by Dutch TV.

I do not want any google ads here.

Negative Creep user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 720 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 06, 15:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You would have though/hoped by now Queen Productions owned or atleast had clones of every bit of professionally shot footage in their archives by now.

Posted: 26 Feb 06, 16:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you guys. Interesting, how does it happen - Japanese ask German TV to use these archives or what? And Japanese always choose something special and rare! Why didn't they to use just some parts of known Houston?! - They use Munich and Rotterdam!!!

I pray I hope that QP are collecting and copying everything that TV's from many countries recorded.

Please more detail about this Japanese TV-Specilal!

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18638 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 06, 23:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Seven_Seas_Of_Rhye II wrote:

Why couldn't somebody from Queen production (or so on) take a professional look at what Queen concert videos exist? It seems that nobody does any research in this field...

Greg Brooks could have easily done something about this before now, but either he has chosen not to, or he has been told not to.

What's the total length of this video? They just recorded 2-3 songs for a report or the plenty part of the show?

Part of the stage collapsed before the show began, and the band played a shortened set. So, Greg was wrong in his book about two things. He said the show went on as planned, and that the video was 20 minutes long. In reality, the concert was only 70 minutes long, and the entire show was later broadcast on TV. Someone did record this from TV, and the tape sitting in storage somewhere. The two songs shared here are from another broadcast.

The same questions about Rotterdam 1979.

I wish I could answer!

Please more detail about this Japanese TV-Specilal!

The only other interesting part of the special was the footage from Brussels 1-26-79. I had this one on VHS in bad quality for years, and now we have this wonderful upgrade. The rebroadcast is missing the opening part with Now I'm Here, but it has everything else. About 16 minutes of concert footage and interviews.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
on my way up user is on Queenzone.com

Deity: 2186 posts

Posted: 27 Feb 06, 07:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What was the setlist of this munich-show from 1978?would be great to see It's late and Spread your wings from the NOTW-tour!!!

on my way up
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 27 Feb 06, 07:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Swiss TV broadcasted the full Munich 1978 show, but very little is known about this.

The Swiss TV bought the full tape of the German TV. The German TV were allowed to broadcast only 2 songs.

And yes in Munich they played a shortened set. Probably the guitar solo is absent and some other songs. I do think that they played their new songs. But I don't know for sure. I'll ask my contact.

As Bob already said, the stage collapsed before the start of the show. Queen decided to shorten the set, otherwise it would be too dangerous (due to the pressure of the audience).

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Posted: 27 Feb 06, 14:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you Rick and Sir GH for this fantastic info!

I'm sorry, but Greg does nothing I think. He never pay attention to details, what is very important in this case. Of course, he did some research in details but not enough and many mistakes! He doesn't pay attention to VIDEO material! HE MUST DIG, DIG OUT the info! What do we still know about which Knebworth scenes (songs) exist?! Some years ago I saw a picture of the TV "archive-shelf" with several Knebworth video-MASTER tapes with "Queen 9.08.86" notes.

It's really shocked for me - Swiss TV broadcasted THE FULL Munich 78 show!!! Never, ...never heard about it!

Sir GH, so, from your words (or I misunderstood), broadcasted-Munich and JapanSpecial-Munich are different???!!!

My God, how we can get it???!!!.........

Roger's Beard user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 315 posts

Posted: 27 Feb 06, 14:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In defense of Greg Brooks - what do you think he's been doing these last couple of years?
Last I heard, he'd been ordered to go through the Video Archives and sort out some stuff for DVD release which was then passed onto Simon Lupton, which is why there's not been much more done on the boxsets lately...

The Real Wizard

Posted: 28 Feb 06, 00:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH, so, from your words (or I misunderstood), broadcasted-Munich and JapanSpecial-Munich are different???!!!

Yes, the same two songs were broadcast both in the 70s and in 2004. But there was also that complete broadcast on Swiss TV, as Rick said.

<font color=blue>Rick wrote:

The Swiss TV bought the full tape of the German TV. The German TV were allowed to broadcast only 2 songs.

If the German station owned the footage in the first place, then why do you think they were restricted to showing only these two songs? Or was this just a TV report containing two songs, and there was no issue of permission?

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

The Real Wizard

Posted: 28 Feb 06, 00:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pootle1 wrote:

In defense of Greg Brooks - what do you think he's been doing these last couple of years?

He's been using people for their new information about Queen live to contribute to a new book attributed to him.

Oops, I mean, he wrote a book.

Posted: 28 Feb 06, 07:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=blue>Rick wrote:

If the German station owned the footage in the first place, then why do you think they were restricted to showing only these two songs? Or was this just a TV report containing two songs, and there was no issue of permission?

The last. It was a special programme, where they broadcasted these 2 songs. Some kind of music programme. They never were allowed to broadcast the full show, but the Swiss TV was allowed to do it. So that's why they decided to sell the tape to the Swiss TV.

Posted: 28 Feb 06, 07:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks GH and Rick for your knowledges. Rick, interesting, why German TV was allowed to 2 songs only but Swiss - to the whole concert?

Where is that guy who recorded that FULL broadcast from Swiss TV?!....................

Posted: 28 Feb 06, 14:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Edit

Posted: 28 Feb 06, 14:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks GH and Rick for your knowledges. Rick, interesting, why German TV was allowed to 2 songs only but Swiss - to the whole concert?

Don't know about that one. Sorry.

Richy Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 320 posts

Posted: 28 Feb 06, 15:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bob, how do you know the whole Munich '78 show was shown on Swiss Tv? You would think, somebody would have taped it.

Posted: 28 Feb 06, 19:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, really, Rick?

teleport8 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 89 posts

Posted: 01 Mar 06, 02:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I remember that many years ago there was a TV program on Queen on German TV from the pre-synthesizer era. I think I saw it just after Freddie had died.
Thomas Gottschalk interviewed them (he is still a big figure in German TV) and then they showed a concert that was quite impressing. However, I did not have a VCR at that time, and the person whom I asked to record it did not manage to do it.
In the interview they said something like they double their voices with some equipment so that there are like 20 voices in the end.
I could imagine that this was the Munich concert. At least it was definitely shorter than 2 hours. The TV station was probably ZDF.

teleport8 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 89 posts

Posted: 01 Mar 06, 03:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hm, I'm probably wrong. There's such an interview of 1979 and it's from Stuttgart...

Joma user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 388 posts

Posted: 01 Mar 06, 04:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That was the Music-Box programme and it was Munich 1979

Live life to the full!