Forums > Personal > Sex Pistols turn down Hall of Fame honor

forum rss feed
Author

magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 26 Feb 06, 15:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thought this was interesting -http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060225/en_nm/sexpistols_dc;_ylt=AjLE7j68gUytc0q2pY3JHjVb.nQA;_ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA--

Such an eloquent band. <rolls eyes>

"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury

All I Hear Is Radio Gaga user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1181 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 06, 15:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I know...seriously

"Take The First Step In Faith, You Don't Have To See The Whole Staircase, Just Take The First Step."
Music Man user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2346 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 06, 15:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Susan Evans, executive director of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation, said of the band's announcement, "They're being the outrageous punksters that they are, and that's rock 'n' roll."

Amen.

Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
Sherwood Forest user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3547 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 06, 15:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

RIiiiiiiiiiiiight.

One should ANALize the Poetry on page 43, when Oedipus is rollin' in his benzo and he has to bust a cap on some flagrants in the under city

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/image/essay/1
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 06, 15:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

magicalfreddiemercury wrote:

Thought this was interesting -http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060225/en_nm/sexpistols_dc;_ylt=AjLE7j68gUytc0q2pY3JHjVb.nQA;_ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA--

well, they were...actually.

1. listen to the lyrics on NMTB - songs have real meaning
2. they helped to change a very stagnated world music scene. didn't queen's Roger Taylor say something about them making queen think about what they were doing?
3. we'd still be listening to 25minute genesis and yes tracks if it wasn't for them
4. mcclaren and lydon have more brains in their little toes than you appear to have (from your ill-thought comments) in your head
5. lydon is a good irish lad...so he's ok by me

go deo na hÉireann
Thanks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 615 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 06, 15:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

magicalfreddiemercury wrote:

Why do they need to be eloquent to be valid? 75% of the people on here would be permanently barred if you tried enforcing that.

Fair play to them for sticking to their principles. Perhaps you'd rather they did a Pop Idol programme to get themselves a new McLaren..?

magicalfreddiemercury

Posted: 26 Feb 06, 17:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks wrote:

Why do they need to be eloquent to be valid? 75% of the people on here would be permanently barred if you tried enforcing that.

Fair play to them for sticking to their principles. Perhaps you'd rather they did a Pop Idol programme to get themselves a new McLaren..?

They don't need to be eloquent to be valid.

However, if they have a point to make, don't you think they could make it much better and be 'heard' by so many more people if they'd at the least use proper English or speak with some respect? Or would that not be cool?

And no, I wouldn't rather have them do a Pop Idol Program, and no again, I don't dismiss them for sticking to their principles. I did, however, roll my eyes when I read their quote. Seriously, if Freddie had been quoted as saying what they said, I'd buy up all the local papers so no one I know would hear my idol 'speak' that way.

Maybe some think what they said was appropriate for them. I found it to be in poor taste. Sorry if that offends you, it wasn't my intention.

"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury

Thanks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 615 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 06, 17:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Cool. WIll you be rolling your eyes at the numpties on here who have similar issues with punctuation?

If so, I predict about 30 rpm.

magicalfreddiemercury

Posted: 26 Feb 06, 17:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks wrote:

Cool. WIll you be rolling your eyes at the numpties on here who have similar issues with punctuation?

If so, I predict about 30 rpm.

lol. I guess it depends on their eloquence. :-)

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 26 Feb 06, 17:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Hall of Fame is a joke.

I know that all of you might say... "but, Queen is there". Yes, Queen is there, but Queen failed to be to inducted 2 years since the first time they were elligible. For a band that achieved so much, and was as influential as Queen, failing the first year of elligibility is an insult.

Look at Black Sabbath. They should have been inducted ages ago. They have possibly become the strongest influence of the whole heavy metal genre, and now they're being inducted next to Blondie. Sorry, but that's a complete utter joke.

Just look at the list of inductees:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inductees_of_the_Rock_and_Roll_Hall_of_Fame

Every year there's 2 or 3 artists that make you ask: - WHO?? -
Meanwhile, artists like Genesis, Deep Purple, and Van Halen haven't been taken into consideration.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]

Posted: 26 Feb 06, 17:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles wrote:

The Hall of Fame is a joke.

I know that all of you might say... "but, Queen is there". Yes, Queen is there, but Queen failed to be to inducted 2 years since the first time they were elligible. For a band that achieved so much, and was as influential as Queen, failing the first year of elligibility is an insult.

Look at Black Sabbath. They should have been inducted ages ago. They have possibly become the strongest influence of the whole heavy metal genre, and now they're being inducted next to Blondie. Sorry, but that's a complete utter joke.

Not to mention that everybody and their uncle gets into the hall eventually.

TheImpossibleMan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 26 Feb 06, 23:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Sex Pistols might be the single most overrated band of all time. They're like the Spice Girls: they were artificially constructed. They were a fad band, a band that played up its "bad boy" image to bring fans while cutting only one studio album that was headlined by shitty songs. Have any of you actually -listened- to "God Save the Queen" or "Anarchy in the U.K."? Their management's position was "Here's a bunch of kids who can't sing, can't play, and can't write songs, and children will flock to them in droves because they're counterculture."

The fact that they were inducted as performers is absurd. Maybe you could argue their influence, but the Sex Pistols were a bad band.

This is what you wanted, this is what you're going to get.

Posted: 26 Feb 06, 23:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

TheImpossibleMan wrote:

The Sex Pistols might be the single most overrated band of all time. They're like the Spice Girls: they were artificially constructed. They were a fad band, a band that played up its "bad boy" image to bring fans while cutting only one studio album that was headlined by shitty songs. Have any of you actually -listened- to "God Save the Queen" or "Anarchy in the U.K."? Their management's position was "Here's a bunch of kids who can't sing, can't play, and can't write songs, and children will flock to them in droves because they're counterculture."

The fact that they were inducted as performers is absurd. Maybe you could argue their influence, but the Sex Pistols were a bad band.

True. But bad enough to not be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? I've yet to meet that band.

magicalfreddiemercury

Posted: 27 Feb 06, 10:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Barry © wrote:

The Pistols statement.

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/2275/congrat10md.jpg

Well, at least they dotted their I's... most of the time.

Thanks for the link Barry. It reads even worse in their writing than it did in print.

magicalfreddiemercury

Posted: 27 Feb 06, 17:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

See, now this I can respect... not that they have to impress me, personally, but what I read first was impossible to sympathize with. Now they have my attention.

user name user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1449 posts

Posted: 27 Feb 06, 21:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How do the Nobel Prizes work? Rock halls and such should be a lot more like that. But of course, it just wouldn't bring in the revenue, now, would it?

magicalfreddiemercury

Posted: 27 Feb 06, 22:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Barry © wrote:

Most people think John is this wild punk rocker and a crazy person. I was shocked to see him cry about Sid's death and how they turned it into making money.

Who is 'they'. He said that, too. That 'they' turned it into a money making thing. Sorry, I didn't follow them, so I don't know their history.

Munchsack user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1770 posts

Posted: 28 Feb 06, 08:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Getting the gist most of you are dissing the Pistols. Not really fair as they are a great band. Lay off 'em.
PISTOLS RULE!!!!!

This can't end well.
magicalfreddiemercury

Posted: 28 Feb 06, 08:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Barry © wrote:

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/7381/hijackdeniro3vt.jpg

Where do you get these things?! :-)

magicalfreddiemercury

Posted: 28 Feb 06, 08:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Barry © wrote:

This is what I mean about cashing in on Sid's death,

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/6695/sid7ln.jpg

Even when Nancy Spungen was found dead Malcolm even used that to make money. Not long after her murder Malcolm and Vivienne Westwood bring out T-shirts with the following on them,

"She's dead, I'm alive, I'm yours"

Well, that's absolutely repulsive to me. I can more than understand his anger.

Let me play devil's advocate here, though. The bad-boy, tough attitude, punk facade was all part of their show, (their lives, too, I suppose), yes? Doesn't this kind of thing simply follow that through? I mean, if Brian, Roger and John did that after losing Freddie, I think the world would have been shocked. But this is almost apropos to the way Sid lived - the f*ck it all attitude. No? Maybe I'm wrong.

Another example that comes to my mind is James Doohan - "Scotty" from Star Trek. Weren’t his ashes just shot into space? Bizarre, don't you think? But not for him, it makes sense – in an odd sort of way.

Maybe the fans expected this. I'm sure those 'souvenirs' were bought up by the masses, yes?

I'm not saying this was a good thing in anyway, I think it's disgusting. But… playing the other side... what do you think?