Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Live Killers

forum rss feed
Author

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2390 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Mar 06, 03:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have heard it said that Roger hated the album and stated so several times when it was released, does anyone knowwhat he said, and why he disliked it?

Was it the recording quality, or mixing/editing or did he just not think it was a true representation of a Queen gig at that time.

Anyone got any quotes?

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
goinback user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 997 posts

Posted: 02 Mar 06, 04:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For some reason I'm thinking he didn't like the way it was mixed. He publicly disowned it.

"I have no time for Time magazine. Or Rolling Stone." Jethro Tull
Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 02 Mar 06, 04:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, actually the sound kind of sucks, doesn't it? I've heard better boots...

Togg

Posted: 02 Mar 06, 05:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

goinback wrote:

For some reason I'm thinking he didn't like the way it was mixed. He publicly disowned it.

Well that's what I've heard but I've not seen a quote so I wonder whether it's really true?

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
The Flash Danny Project user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 166 posts

Posted: 02 Mar 06, 06:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think most self-respecting musicians tend to look down on the live album because it does very little to represent what the live experience is all about.

Insert stupid signature here
Ayreon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 139 posts

Posted: 02 Mar 06, 07:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, especially when it's mostly a 'cut and paste' job from many, many concerts. see http://www.geocities.com/qzboots/pages/lkanalysis.htm for more details.

Whisperer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1312 posts

Posted: 02 Mar 06, 07:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Did Queen ever do anything that Roger didn't hate...

Not those are losers who fall, but those who don't stand up.
zaiga user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 385 posts

Posted: 02 Mar 06, 07:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Whisperer wrote:

Did Queen ever do anything that Roger didn't hate...

Yeah... Drowse.

Flick of the wrist
escuderodelareina user not visiting Queenzone.com
escuderodelareina
Bohemian: 231 posts

Posted: 02 Mar 06, 09:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yes, the sound quality is the reason.

the logical one is good to think, but it does not to live
Togg

Posted: 02 Mar 06, 09:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Looks like we have all heard the thing, but can anybody prove it?

Around that time the press hated Queen, and it is possible it was just something they started to poke fun.

I am surprised Roger would publically dis-credit something Queen had done at the time of release, we all know he didn't like the Hot Space album, however he was supportive of it at the time, itwas not until much later that he commented on it, when he couldn't effect sales much.

Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 02 Mar 06, 10:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Maybe he was simply voted out by the band (3:1) and feeling angry said what he said... ANYWAY- I must admit I have never seen the actual piece of interview...

rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts

Posted: 02 Mar 06, 10:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In 1982, Roger famously wrote a reply to Rolling Stone magazine's article on their South American tour. In it he said he was really proud of Queen's music, but added in brackets "not all", which I think was a nod to Live Killers and Hot Space.

I think it was perfect for the foursome to not always like what one or all of the band were creating. You need those opposing forces in such artistic endeavours in order to maintain high standards and filter what may be weak ideas. I read an interview from 1984 with Brian, talking about The Works, and he said after they recorded "I Go Crazy", the other three didn't like it (though he didn't say why) and it was voted off the album. Brian held out in defense of his song and compromised with it being a non-album b-side to "Radio Ga Ga".

Togg

Posted: 02 Mar 06, 10:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree, the interband fights made Queen what they were/are, but I am just not sure that this particular statement was ever really said. And would love to see proof

drwinston user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 153 posts

Posted: 02 Mar 06, 14:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To each his own, but I personally love it. It made me a Queen fan, and side 3 (for those old enough to have owned the record) is live Queen at its best. That version of Spread Your Wings is simply phenomenal.

Asterik user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 649 posts

Posted: 02 Mar 06, 16:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love live Killers. The somewhat raw sound is a relief from the guitar overdubs and stacked vocal harmonies. The songs are heavier, faster, and more intense, showing a band in peak form as an arena group. The energy is present in all of the songs, especially death On Two legs, Keep Yourself Alive and Don't Stop me Now, which is ten times better than the studio version because the verses ahve some gutsy guitar in them. And then there is Sheer Heart Attack- it is a monster on stage and this rendition is one ofthe best I've heard.

Moreover it is a testamnet to a time when Queen did not play greatest hits setlists, when Freddie bothered to play the piano and when they had real vitality. I don't mind their stadium rock years but Live Killers remind sus ther eis so much more to Queen than massed handlcaps for Radio Ga ga.

hj
NOTWMEDDLE user not visiting Queenzone.com
NOTWMEDDLE
Bohemian: 691 posts

Posted: 02 Mar 06, 19:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian May and Roger Taylor sated on In the Studio for the making of The Game that Queen were exhausted mixing Live Killers. The band recorded all of their European shows on that tour and mixed practically everything. They stated that they should have left John Etchells and/or David Richards to put the live album together. There are few overdubs on Killers like on WATC where Freddie didn't sing the high parts in concert(listen to versions on Houston 1977, We Will Rock You from Montreal DVD 1981 and Queen On Fire Live at the Bowl)

"Spread your wings and fly away, fly away, far away!", "No one makes me sing lullabies and no one makes me close my eyes"
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18625 posts

Posted: 02 Mar 06, 23:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

rhyeking wrote:

In 1982, Roger famously wrote a reply to Rolling Stone magazine's article on their South American tour. In it he said he was really proud of Queen's music, but added in brackets "not all", which I think was a nod to Live Killers and Hot Space.

The reply was actually from 1981. Roger wrote in reply to their "review" of their soundcheck in Sao Paulo (I think), and he said, of course sarcastically, how he was looking to their review of his pending solo album. So you can't include Hot Space in the things he wasn't proud of to that point in their career. I'm sure there were many individual songs he didn't like. But the band was a constant compromise, because they were all such strong writers. You don't find too many bands like that.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
Togg

Posted: 03 Mar 06, 11:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think the only person who might have a clue as to what (if anything) he really said would be Mr Stuart, but if anyone can remember the real quote about Live Killers I'd love to see it.

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 03 Mar 06, 11:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the "in the studio" points made above are spot on.

in part 2

it was an exhausing time, we almost burned out
i think our creative flow suffered over that period

Brian: i can rememebr labouring onver the LK album, and mixing it ourself....we shoulda just said to someone "hey mix us a live album"
Roger: and i don't think it actually turned out..
Brian: it wasn't that great in the end
Roger: ..anywhere near as well as it could've done

go deo na h√Čireann
drwinston user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 153 posts

Posted: 03 Mar 06, 13:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Asterik wrote:

I love live Killers. The somewhat raw sound is a relief from the guitar overdubs and stacked vocal harmonies. The songs are heavier, faster, and more intense, showing a band in peak form as an arena group. The energy is present in all of the songs, especially death On Two legs, Keep Yourself Alive and Don't Stop me Now, which is ten times better than the studio version because the verses ahve some gutsy guitar in them. And then there is Sheer Heart Attack- it is a monster on stage and this rendition is one ofthe best I've heard.

Moreover it is a testamnet to a time when Queen did not play greatest hits setlists, when Freddie bothered to play the piano and when they had real vitality. I don't mind their stadium rock years but Live Killers remind sus ther eis so much more to Queen than massed handlcaps for Radio Ga ga.

Apart from the spelling debacle in the last sentence - GREAT POST!