Forums > Personal > Elvis

forum rss feed
Author

Darko user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 32 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Mar 06, 11:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have always thought that Elvis were and still is a very overrated artist, and today I found out that "the great Elvis Presley" didn't write his own songs. How can a artist be called the king of rock when he even doesn't write his own lyrics. The respect of Elvis in America is infinite, but even his voice is not that great, he had a good voice but I find it little monotonous. You can imitate Elvis Presley, but you can not imitate Freddie Mercury, the volume, the extent of Freddies voice was something non-human.

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 03 Mar 06, 12:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How can an actor be called the good actor when he even doesn't write script of the movie? How can guitarist be called the good guitarist when sounds came from guitar?

The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8686 posts

Posted: 03 Mar 06, 12:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

and Elton?

Couldn't agree more Linda...well said!

Killed by drones.
John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts

Posted: 03 Mar 06, 12:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

People like Elvis, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Bing Crosby, Art Garfunkle, Pavarotti and even Montserrat Caballe all BELIEVED they were great singers... but really sh*t song-writers - that's why they left the song eriting to the professionals.

Sometimes great song writers like Leiber & Stroller, Oscar Hammerstein, Andrew Lloyd Webber and even Bob Dylan all think they are great writers, but sh*t as singers.

The point is that those who live in either group, believe that they are in the best place tehy can be to sell their music.

Now, great singer/songwriters only really come along one a lifetime. Freddie perhaps belonged to this elite third group, but that does not really mean that he was a better singer than elvis.

As John Lennon said, "Before Elvis, there was nothing".

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
on my way up user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2186 posts

Posted: 03 Mar 06, 13:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Elvis is something special. There are few artists I can think of with such charisma and such emotion in their voice.That he didn't write his own songs is his only weakness. I also believe freddie is better:he's a better singer , he's a legendary songwriter ,a unique performer with charisma just not too big for the world to carry:-)That said:I will always pay huge respect to elvis and he isn't overrated.Only:freddie(and Queen) is underrated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

on my way up

Posted: 03 Mar 06, 14:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wise comments, I respect your opinions, but I didn't say that Elvis was bad. You must understand that Elvis is very overrated in America. They call him the King, they say no one can be compared to him, he stands alone. No other artist have had that commercial success of selling most records like Elvis did. But where do you think he has sold the most records, of course in America, and the majority of the American public have several of Elvis records at home. But in Europe, and I come from Sweden, we respect Elvis, but people like Freddie Mercury have higher status in the music world, but people like Elvis have higher status in media, because of selling one billion records (and i'm now talking about the American media, and remember that a great majority of those records were sold in America. People like Freddie Mercury are very underrated in America, but we know that Freddie Mercury is a better artist than Elvis, Mercury has the greatest voice ever and his lyrics are quite good. That means that Freddie Mercury should be the King and Elvis the Queen.

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 03 Mar 06, 14:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

America? Serry is from Russia, Linda is from Ireland, The Fairy King is from Netherlands (as I remember), John S Stuart is from Scotland, on my way up is from Belgium, Quonkers is from Ireland...

bitesthedust user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3242 posts

Posted: 03 Mar 06, 15:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John S Stuart wrote:

People like Elvis, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Bing Crosby, Art Garfunkle, Pavarotti and even Montserrat Caballe all BELIEVED they were great singers... but really sh*t song-writers - that's why they left the song eriting to the professionals.

Sometimes great song writers like Leiber & Stroller, Oscar Hammerstein, Andrew Lloyd Webber and even Bob Dylan all think they are great writers, but sh*t as singers.

The point is that those who live in either group, believe that they are in the best place tehy can be to sell their music.

Now, great singer/songwriters only really come along one a lifetime. Freddie perhaps belonged to this elite third group, but that does not really mean that he was a better singer than elvis.

another person in the 2nd group - Kris Kristofferson. The man can write a damn good song but he can't sing a lick in my opinion.

Posted: 03 Mar 06, 15:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The only thing i'm trying to say is that Mercury sholud be called the king. Elvis has a monotonous voice and he didn't write those great songs, he hasn't even written on little hit. He is being called the King for no reason, like I said before a lot of people can imitate Elvis Presley, especially his voice(in las vegas)and that is the most essential thing for a music artist.

Posted: 03 Mar 06, 15:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And that is his voice.

Posted: 03 Mar 06, 15:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If the voice is the most essential attribute(and song writing) for a music artist that means that we have only charisma left and Elvis had charisma but does he deserve to be called the king? I think that Mercury should be called the king.

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 03 Mar 06, 15:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John S Stuart wrote:

well said John. although i'm sure Caspar will lambast you for the Dylan comment (btw - i agree with yuo 100% about Zimmerman - he was a shit-awful singer)
Manfred Mann's Earthband..made Dylan's dirge's come to life

go deo na h√Čireann
magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts

Posted: 03 Mar 06, 15:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=FF0099>Linda Of The Valley wrote:

xD actually NO americans have posted in this topic yet!

Then let me be the first.

Elvis broke the rules. He sang 'soul' songs and made them popular. He moved in a way that made the people swoon and chuckle while the censors cringed and ordered him to be 'filmed from the waist up'. He was a rebel - a bad boy. Yet, he was a gentleman - and a mama's boy. He was something to everyone. Charismatic, polite, quick to smile and a joy to watch. He had staying power because people saw him as a man, not just as an entertainer.

Elvis = King
Freddie = Queen

Musical royalty

"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury

Posted: 03 Mar 06, 16:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What is this, so you think that Elvis is a better singer than Mercury, this is mad. I'm a Mercury fan but there are lot of people in the music world that say that Mercury is the greatest male singer (vocalist)of all time. You don't have to be a Mercury fan to realize that.
This has nothing to do with rock history, this is common sense. This is just outrageous what I'm hearing. I think that Elvis should be grateful that he had a person who wrote those great songs, we should honour that guy and not just "the great" Elvis. Remember people say "Those Elvis songs are great", but you can't call them Elvis songs, because he didn't write them. Why should he get all the credit for them (a lot of ordinary people in the world think that he wrote those songs), he didn't write them, and tell me is that fair?

magicalfreddiemercury

Posted: 03 Mar 06, 16:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Darko wrote:

What is this, so you think that Elvis is a better singer than Mercury, this is mad.

Did I say Elvis was a better singer than Freddie? Hmmm. Let me check....

...Nope. Didn't say that. Didn't think so.

"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury

Posted: 03 Mar 06, 16:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Be honest know and tell me:

Who is the better singer?

And who is the better artist (overall)?

For me the answers are
Answer1: Mercury

Answer2: Mercury

Posted: 03 Mar 06, 16:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry it should say be honest now

magicalfreddiemercury

Posted: 03 Mar 06, 16:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Darko wrote:

Be honest know and tell me:

Who is the better singer?

And who is the better artist (overall)?

For me the answers are
Answer1: Mercury

Answer2: Mercury

For me? Easy answer to both - Freddie.

HOWEVER - Freddie wouldn't have done very well, IMHO, in Elvis' day. Timing, Darko, does have its place.

Mean Mistreater user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 482 posts

Posted: 03 Mar 06, 19:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No doubt that in his early career (before making movies) he influenced the music world forever, but I must say he was just cheesy and lame after the rock-n-roll explosion ended. I grew up in the south, and yes, Elvis is majorly overrated. Elvis is an icon, but there's no comparison in talent with Freddie. Little Richard deserves more recognition than Elvis.

Mean Mistreater user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 482 posts

Posted: 03 Mar 06, 19:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Since we're on the subject, I always remembered my mom telling me about how embarrassed she was when she was dating my dad back in the late 60's because he loved Elvis. She would tell me that you were the ultimate nerd and was just uncool at that time to like Elvis. My grandmother always told me how her best friend got to go on the Louisiana Hayride the year that Elvis was there too.