Forums > Queen - General Discussion > The Cover of News of the World.

forum rss feed
Author

miracle-man! 29382 user not visiting Queenzone.com
miracle-man! 29382
Bohemian: 194 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Mar 06, 20:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was meaning to ask this.

It's about the scary-esque cover of the Queen 70's album News of the World.

I know this album practically heralded the great icon songs of Queen,Rock you and Champions,but I always wondered what's the deal with the description of...

A giant dopey-faced robot tearing open a dome and in his blood covered hands are the members of Queen,laying dead in his hands.

And inside the cover is the same robot reaching into the dome and grabbing up and supposedly killing bodies while crowds of panic stricken people run for their lives.

Is there some kind of meaning to this creepy yet artistic scene or why did Fred and co.make this image?

I was just wondering why is all.

sandssavvy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 44 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Mar 06, 21:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It was made by a science fiction illustrater with a similar picture that he remade for Queen.


"The reason we're successful, darling? My overall charisma, of course..." -Freddie Mercury
The Flash Danny Project user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 166 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Mar 06, 22:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's about a robot who isn't aware of the value of human life (that's why he looks dopey carrying dead bodies).


Insert stupid signature here
All I Hear Is Radio Gaga user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1181 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 Mar 06, 22:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I did a paper on this...

A famous science fiction artist named Frank Kelly Freas originally designed this for a comic book called "Astounding". He designed it for the story "The Gulf Between" which was in the October 1953 issue...The robot holding the dead body of a man is captioned "Please... fix it, Daddy?" to illustrate the story The Gulf Between by Tom Godwin. The robot killing the man was likened to a child injuring a bug and looking up at his parents saying "what have I done?"
The original looks like this:

http://karlh.cnc.net/SF/October_1953_500_opt.jpg

Roger is a huge fan of science fiction, he had the comic book, so therefore in 1977, he brought the idea to the table and inspired the band contacted Freas and he agreed to alter it for their cover, which as we all know looks like this but this is just so you can compare it with the original:

http://www.hank-dust.com/img/galerie/cover-artwork/popart/queen_news.jpg



"Take The First Step In Faith, You Don't Have To See The Whole Staircase, Just Take The First Step."
goinback user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 997 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Mar 06, 02:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sadly Mr. Freas passed away in January of last year....


"I have no time for Time magazine. Or Rolling Stone." Jethro Tull
Thanks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 615 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Mar 06, 12:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Happily Mr Freas lived a long and fulfilling life before succombing to the inevitable....

« Jay » user not visiting Queenzone.com
« Jay »
Bohemian: 843 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Mar 06, 13:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

All I Hear Is Radio Gaga wrote:

I did a paper on this...

A famous science fiction artist named Frank Kelly Freas originally designed this for a comic book called "Astounding". He designed it for the story "The Gulf Between" which was in the October 1953 issue...The robot holding the dead body of a man is captioned "Please... fix it, Daddy?" to illustrate the story The Gulf Between by Tom Godwin. The robot killing the man was likened to a child injuring a bug and looking up at his parents saying "what have I done?"
The original looks like this:

http://karlh.cnc.net/SF/October_1953_500_opt.jpg

Roger is a huge fan of science fiction, he had the comic book, so therefore in 1977, he brought the idea to the table and inspired the band contacted Freas and he agreed to alter it for their cover, which as we all know looks like this but this is just so you can compare it with the original:

http://www.hank-dust.com/img/galerie/cover-artwork/popart/queen_news.jpg

That was a very interesting post dude, thanks a lot!
I didn't know about that at all. :-)

Jazz 78 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 502 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Mar 06, 14:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

GaGa is correct! This can even be varified by listening to an interview of Brian May for the In The Studio series when NOTW was featured. I always loved this cover and was fortunate to have Kelly Freas sign a copy of the 1953 edition of Astounding Science Fiction about 5 1/2 years ago. Now proudly displayed in my home

All I Hear Is Radio Gaga user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1181 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Mar 06, 16:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No problem, your welcome. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. This picture has always interested me. I have a signed print of the October Astounding cover hanging in my room. Freas had some very interesting works. If you get the chance, check out his other stuff.


"Take The First Step In Faith, You Don't Have To See The Whole Staircase, Just Take The First Step."
The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8686 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Mar 06, 17:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it's great, people at a Queenconcert havin a great time and suddenly this huge robot tears the roof of the arena. They should make a complete videoclip...and not something like that crappy Coldplay clip for Talk. ugh.


Killed by drones.
NOTWMEDDLE user not visiting Queenzone.com
NOTWMEDDLE
Bohemian: 691 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Mar 06, 03:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jazz 78 wrote:

GaGa is correct! This can even be varified by listening to an interview of Brian May for the In The Studio series when NOTW was featured. I always loved this cover and was fortunate to have Kelly Freas sign a copy of the 1953 edition of Astounding Science Fiction about 5 1/2 years ago. Now proudly displayed in my home


The robot was a baby monster who is I believe looking at his dad saying "what have I done". I had that NOTW ITS and The Game ITS until my cassette player ate it for lunch.


"Spread your wings and fly away, fly away, far away!", "No one makes me sing lullabies and no one makes me close my eyes"
miracle-man! 29382 user not visiting Queenzone.com
miracle-man! 29382
Bohemian: 194 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Mar 06, 03:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I shoulda figured that's what it was meant to be of. Quite a history there.

Thanks for the response and clearing that up.

Jazz 78 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 502 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Mar 06, 14:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey NOTWMEDDLE, how can I get in touch with you? I'll burn you a copy of the NOTW ITS session.I also have ANATO but it's on tape. Still need to get The Game ITS session.

All I Hear Is Radio Gaga user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1181 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 Mar 06, 14:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Cnash wrote:

I shoulda figured that's what it was meant to be of. Quite a history there.

Thanks for the response and clearing that up.


Not a problem...your welcome!


cheers!


"Take The First Step In Faith, You Don't Have To See The Whole Staircase, Just Take The First Step."