Forums > Queen + Adam Lambert > Dragon Attack

forum rss feed
Author

AmeriQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1072 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Mar 06, 03:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is what Queen means to me:

A new tour, a possiblility for a new setlist and show. What happens? They drop a couple of songs and add only two songs, one of them being some PR song I have never heard of. All of this after the promises of 70's material. It looks like I have a major feeling of dissapointment.

Then I see that the one new Queen song is Dragon Attack.

As a result, I can hardly freaking wait to hear Dragon Attack. The presence of that particular song(one of my all time favorites) is triple the emotion felt as any dissapointment I might have. Hurray for the new tour, and I pledge to myself that I will find a way to see another show before it ends in April.

Shane Jazz user not visiting Queenzone.com
Shane Jazz
Bohemian: 687 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 06, 03:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dragon Attack is indeed a welcome addition. I have always loved it live. But I figured its addition would come at the cost of a song such as Last Horizon or These are the Days (both of which I love), but did it have to be I Want it All that leaves? Please bring it back by next Friday!

Man Made Paradise

Posted: 04 Mar 06, 04:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't mind it leaving. Not because I Want It All isn't worthy, it is totally one of the very best. I just think it has been played less than the studio version(the exception to this is ironically the Sheffield show). What puzzles me is that they keep Radio Ga Ga in the mix. This son't is not a U.S. favorite, and one of the weakest of the big hits for Queen.

I was surprised to see that Now I'm Here hasn't surfaced, but I think it's becase Paul knows at best it could still never come close to what Freddie did with it.

I'm still waiting for White Man, the most PR suited song of Queen's catalogue.

Posted: 04 Mar 06, 07:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If you know what it is I am about to be talking about, then you are on one hand, a Queen geek with far too much an obsession with the band, but also an intelligent person with superior musical taste. Here goes:

Is anyone out there familiar with the early jump Brian made mistakingly(I assume) with Dragon Attack on the '81 Montreal, 'We Will Rock You' dvd. "... green's all green and from..." It's a guitar part played earlier than usual.

Bottom line, that mistake perfected the song, and it, as minimal as it seems, mad Dragon one of my all time favorite live songs. It just has sucha smooth feel.

snowdog212 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 31 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 06, 08:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I start off saying im not the greatist Queen fan like alot of use on here.But I did see them with Freddie on the Jazz tour many yrs ago.That being said I was watching the blog of the setlist.Dissappointment is an understatement. It just seems they put no new effort in the setlist.It looks to me more like a money tour then a fan friendly tour. Im one of those who doesnt like to hear just the hits. I like obscure songs or more then a few new older songs that werent played last tour.They could have easily switched the setlist up instead of just moving songs around.And dont tell me some songs are hard to play now that there older. They are musicians who get paid well.Get into shape and they will be fine.And finally I can not believe they didnt play I WANT IT ALL Listening to ROC It is the best song on the cd and the best one Paul sings.Hopefully it will be back by the Buffalo date.Just my 2 cents worth

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 06, 09:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I am really curious to hear the Paul Rodgers rendition of Dragon Attack. I bet he did not know half of the words:) The song was always one of my favourite live songs.

I do not want any google ads here.

phoenix_surprise! user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 29 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 06, 10:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dragon Attack? My FAVORITE!!! I would never have expected to hear that!! Can't Wait.

No I Want It All??? That is a huge loss. Why not both??

OK, all too many punctuations in this posting.

-kmh
Roy ® user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 597 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 06, 10:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Great that they play Dragon Attack.
Can't wait to hear it.

All I Hear Is Radio Gaga user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1181 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 06, 17:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think that's great....i know it's only been one show so hopefully they add some old stuff...keeping my fingers crossed...

"Take The First Step In Faith, You Don't Have To See The Whole Staircase, Just Take The First Step."
wstüssyb user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 12371 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 06, 18:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Was sent a crappy 45 second clip from a cell phone. Sounded OK, with what little I heard of Pual, sounded like a karokee(sp) version =) also with a lack of bass, I think lack of bass is due to it being recorded on a cell.

MY GOD spell it write.
Just You and Me user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 94 posts

Posted: 05 Mar 06, 00:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm still just bummed out that I won't be able to see them.

life is like a box of chocolates...stuffed with individuals.

Mary
Regor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 364 posts

Posted: 05 Mar 06, 07:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

AmeriQueen wrote:

If you know what it is I am about to be talking about, then you are on one hand, a Queen geek with far too much an obsession with the band, but also an intelligent person with superior musical taste. Here goes:

Is anyone out there familiar with the early jump Brian made mistakingly(I assume) with Dragon Attack on the '81 Montreal, 'We Will Rock You' dvd. "... green's all green and from..." It's a guitar part played earlier than usual.

Bottom line, that mistake perfected the song, and it, as minimal as it seems, mad Dragon one of my all time favorite live songs. It just has sucha smooth feel.

Yep, Brian starts the bridge too early, but makes it an improptu - great moment, even though it is a mistake. I love the Montreal-Version, especially when Rog starts the groovy beat alone, without Bass and guitar accompanying it for about 2 bars, after coming from the hard-rock ending of NIH - it's such a great change of mood and atmosphere. Great version. And great addition to the Q+PR-setlist, can't wait to hear it someday.

Guten Tag und Guten Abend !!! We had a great time in Cologne. Drinking beer in the sunshine beside the Mighty Rhein brought back many memories for me..... (Brian May, 2004)
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 05 Mar 06, 12:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Perhaps I'm absolutely insane, but when I heard "US Tour" I was thinking songs like "White Man" or "Headlong".

What the hell is this, with the dropping I Want It All??? FUCK!

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
pcgenius9 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 937 posts

Posted: 05 Mar 06, 12:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Who actually said there was going to be loads of 70s stuff??

Dislocate your spine...
Going Back user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 483 posts

Posted: 05 Mar 06, 13:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pcgenius9 wrote:

Who actually said there was going to be loads of 70s stuff??

Roger Taylor

Hankster user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 469 posts

Posted: 05 Mar 06, 14:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

does someone already has a recording of DA from Miami?

DragonOnMyBack user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 367 posts

Posted: 06 Mar 06, 09:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Glad to see the addition of Dragon Attack.

Great Song, will be interesting to see/hear how Danny compares to John. Judging by AOBTD I think he will do a good job but it will take a lot to beat Deaky.

When I was at the Birmingham NEC Show last year I swore I heard them practicing it during the warm up before the show. If it was DA then it sounded pretty good from outside.

I was hoping it would turn up during the UK leg but looks like it took a bit longer for them to be happy with it.

I too am a little disappointed that I Want it All has been dropped and now also Say It's Not True although that might come back. Maybe Roger just didn't feel up to singing it on the night. How did it go down in Miami? Maybe it didn't get the response they expected in Miami and decided to drop it. I did have a feeling it might go following Roger's comments about it during the Rockline radio interview, although Brian seemed keen to keep it in. maybe Seagull will come back :-)

I do think more additions will be made as the tour continues. Just look at the European Tour. The early shows had less tracks than the later ones. The setlist grew with the introduction of Roger's Drum Solo, AOBTD, Under Pressure etc.
I think there is room for at least two more songs in the main body of the show and another one in the encore, but they probably want to get settled in first.

Only time will tell, but whatever the setlist I am sure I will enjoy the California shows.

Kilpat1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 90 posts

Posted: 06 Mar 06, 11:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

when say its not true was played in miami everyone got up and walked to bathroom and stuff people r classless

big queen fan in new york usa
goinback user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 997 posts

Posted: 06 Mar 06, 14:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

People do know Radio Ga-Ga more than I Want It All in the US by the way. Ga-Ga was at least a Top-40 single (and seen at Live-Aid). I Want It All was an FM hit from almost 20 years ago....

"I have no time for Time magazine. Or Rolling Stone." Jethro Tull
Going Back user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 483 posts

Posted: 06 Mar 06, 15:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I Want It All and Radio GaGa should both be in the setlist, both are exellent songs