Forums > Queen + Adam Lambert > Miami Concert Review (Attendance: 8,000)

forum rss feed
Author

PhoenixRising user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 99 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 04 Mar 06, 07:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Below is a link to a concert review from the show on March 3rd at American Airlines Arena in Miami.

The Arena's website lists seating capacity for major concerts at up to 20,000.

Last night's Queen-Paul Rodgers show drew approximately 8,000 fans.

***The following link contains some of the song ontents of last night's set, and is definitely a spoiler for those who do not wish to know ahead of time of the surprises unveiled at the first U.S. show!!!***

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/features/lifestyle/sfl-mu04queenmar04,0,3766986.story

"I'm not a heavily spiritual person, but when I'm in the studio, I can hear Fred saying, 'No, c'mon, you can do better than that,' and that lifts me and makes me work better." -Brian May
The Stealer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 738 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 06, 08:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks. I see this as a positive review. Sounds like the boys did a fine job. I agree with the freshness comments

Freddiettt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 106 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 06, 08:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

8,000 sounds like a guess to me.

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 06, 08:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you for posting this review, it's not bad, really. Only 8000 people is a little disappointing for the band, let's hope that not all shows are selling only half of the seats.

I do not want any google ads here.

stateside fan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 632 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 06, 10:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the attendance was 9710 of 14,602 available.the 20,000 figure is a total seat figure not a concert capcity.

john pistlli
Gr8 King Rat user not visiting Queenzone.com
go Cubs go!
Gr8 King Rat
Bohemian: 423 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 06, 10:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

2/3 full...not bad.

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 06, 16:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Seems pretty poor to me actually.

iron eagle user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3793 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 06, 20:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

there is also a big latin festival going on ,i was told ,that historically keeps attendance at other events down...

i got a way with the boys on my block.. :-)

Posted: 04 Mar 06, 21:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the National promoter totally misread the market here.Miami is a terrible place to kick off a tour.Also i think Pieter had it right in saying maybe in some of these towns a mid-range venue would have worked better.I thought they had momentum here but sadly went to Japan.once the tour gets to the northeast the media will create a buzz.is anyone worried about Paul's voice tanking with dates so close?

john pistlli
Doniphan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 5 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 06, 21:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Note that the review is from the Sun-Sentinel, a newspaper from Ft. Lauderdale, north of Miami.
Local Miami press has almost ignored the concert. I could only find a note about this concert in The Miami Herald in the page where all the concerts of the weeks are listed. I come from a Latin American town and live now in Miami. I thought that living in USA I was gonna be able to enjoy rock more than in my own country. The truth is that to be able to enjoy rock music I should travel to Ft. Lauderdale, Sunrise or West Palm Beach.
Miami is famous for its beaches and tropical life. Its a huge city with a wonderful market for latin rythms but Rock bands do good avoiding this place. Too bad for me :-(

Queen fan since 74 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 4 posts

Posted: 04 Mar 06, 22:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Low attendance ... well, remember that Freddie isn't there!

Posted: 04 Mar 06, 23:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doniphan..very well articulated.thanks for insight

john pistlli
westpak user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 20 posts

Posted: 05 Mar 06, 00:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doniphan wrote:

Note that the review is from the Sun-Sentinel, a newspaper from Ft. Lauderdale, north of Miami.
Local Miami press has almost ignored the concert. I could only find a note about this concert in The Miami Herald in the page where all the concerts of the weeks are listed. I come from a Latin American town and live now in Miami. I thought that living in USA I was gonna be able to enjoy rock more than in my own country. The truth is that to be able to enjoy rock music I should travel to Ft. Lauderdale, Sunrise or West Palm Beach.
Miami is famous for its beaches and tropical life. Its a huge city with a wonderful market for latin rythms but Rock bands do good avoiding this place. Too bad for me :-(

I agree, I moved to West Palm from Miami and have gone to more concerts, I was surprised to see that the concert was at that arena, usually most concerts are at the hockey arena in Sunrise (Ft Lauderdale) or at the Ampatheater up here in WPB where we usually get some awesome concerts and have seen Sting/The Who/Linkin Park/Korn/Rod Stewart/Kiss... and in Surise Van Halen/U2

The promoters really screwed up picking Miami.

NOTWMEDDLE user not visiting Queenzone.com
NOTWMEDDLE
Bohemian: 691 posts

Posted: 05 Mar 06, 03:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wished I attended. I am saving for David Gilmour in Chicago or LA. I am going to a ticket broker. The reason the show sold out was that the ticket agents bought all of the tickets.

"Spread your wings and fly away, fly away, far away!", "No one makes me sing lullabies and no one makes me close my eyes"
YourValentine

Posted: 05 Mar 06, 04:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"the attendance was 9710 of 14,602 available"

I agree with the guru, this is underachieving to say the least. In Europe a hall of that size would sell out any day. The reasons that are listed here (Latin festival, wrong city etc) cannot conceal the fact that Queen plus Paul Rodgers do not sell 15 000 tickets in a major city. That is very disappointing. On the bright side, it's the hardcore fans who come, so the atmosphere should be great. Plus - there are a couple of hundreds Europeans who travel the States to see the concerts:)

Jazzy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 5 posts

Posted: 05 Mar 06, 06:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here some more reviews:

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/email/news/breaking_news/14019011.htm

http://www.miamist.com/archives/2006/03/04/queen_still_the_champions.php

oh, and by the way, you guys shouldn't fuss about the setlist. You better appreciate that they play on American soil.
Enjoy the shows.

Regor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 364 posts

Posted: 05 Mar 06, 07:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jazzy wrote:

Here some more reviews:

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/email/news/breaking_news/14019011.htm

http://www.miamist.com/archives/2006/03/04/queen_still_the_champions.php

oh, and by the way, you guys shouldn't fuss about the setlist. You better appreciate that they play on American soil.
Enjoy the shows.

That is so damn true ! Being german I may be the false person to respond, but as Queen's US-career is an interesting topic for most of us fans, I feel free to do so anyway.

I went to the stadium in cologne, where 27.600 people attended the show. The stadium has a capacity of about 45.000. That attendence was a let-down for some afterwards, and I just could not understand. Because the show was a blast, with Paul Rodgers being quoted by a fan talking to him afterwards "that was the best so far".

I know it is an old and never-ending discussion on this board, but 9710 out of 14000 is - considering what has been stated about Miami and the musical taste of the people there - really good. We should be happy that the guys are out there again, and a 2/3-sellout of 50 % of a band, that struggled in the US for the last 24 years (!!!) and has lost it's main focus, is great. And the reviews are really stunning !

Rock on !!!

Guten Tag und Guten Abend !!! We had a great time in Cologne. Drinking beer in the sunshine beside the Mighty Rhein brought back many memories for me..... (Brian May, 2004)
YourValentine

Posted: 05 Mar 06, 08:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Roger and Brian would not agree, Regor -they want to sell out. If they have to tour to half empty venues- this is hurting the egos, therefore I wish them full houses.

From the audience point of view the main point is that the concerts go ahead. But from last year I have to say that I liked it better in packed halls (Brixton, Munich, Frankfurt) than in the half empty stadium in Cologne, it just was another atmosphere.

Regor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 364 posts

Posted: 05 Mar 06, 09:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good point, YV. Especially Roger I think is keen on having the concerts sold out, being the archetypical Rockstar guy.
I often thought 2 times Kölnarena rather than one show at the stadium would have been great as well. But the concert was fantastic anyway.
I think we as fans should not be too dissapointed if venues are not completely sold out, especially in the US. As long as the vibe and atmosphere is great, thats all that matters.
One of the best gigs I've ever been to was The Cross in Bonn '88. There were about 50 people there... ;-)
But I see what you mean. Let's just hope the tour will be great fun for everyone involved and attending.

Guten Tag und Guten Abend !!! We had a great time in Cologne. Drinking beer in the sunshine beside the Mighty Rhein brought back many memories for me..... (Brian May, 2004)
Daz85 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1802 posts

Posted: 05 Mar 06, 10:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Check this article out... it shows the attendance figures for some major rock bands in the US:

http://www.roadrun.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=49126

As you can see, even these guys are only getting half-full attendances too. In the US its well known that the figures have been dwindling for a while. Just be greatful they are playing there at all... as for the setlist, of course I'd like to see more variety, but then again it's not as if most of us here are actually AT the shows... or are some people just thinking about bootlegs?!!