Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > best 'drums' album

forum rss feed
Author

liam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 596 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Mar 06, 00:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thought i'd do one for drums aswell seeing i did one for bass. Well my thought is that even though the drum sound is quite bad on Jazz i think it has the tightest and most imaginative drumming produced by roger. Along with John the album has a wonderful rhythm section.

Go, Go, Go, little queenie!!
RETROLOVE user not visiting Queenzone.com
RETROLOVE
Deity: 2522 posts

Posted: 06 Mar 06, 01:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mmmmm,okay, I havent been a Queen fan for that long, but I will say that my favorite songs where you can really hear the drums are:

Fat-Bottomed Girls
Now I'm here
Liar (live version)

I'll come back when I think of more, lol

Loving the pass, cherishing the present, and looking forward to the future

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 06 Mar 06, 01:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

sheer hear attack

Regor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 364 posts

Posted: 06 Mar 06, 05:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For me the best drum sound is on both NOTW and The Game - full, but not blown up - with a great room sound, but razorsharp.
The Jazz sound is rather strange IMO.

Guten Tag und Guten Abend !!! We had a great time in Cologne. Drinking beer in the sunshine beside the Mighty Rhein brought back many memories for me..... (Brian May, 2004)
zaiga user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 385 posts

Posted: 06 Mar 06, 05:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

News of the World... I love the drumming on "It's Late" and "Get Down, Make Love"

Flick of the wrist
Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2393 posts

Posted: 06 Mar 06, 07:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It has to be NATO and DATR for me, the toms on your my best friend just rock.

I never liked the drums on News of the World I felt they were too muddy, but I do like Jazz for an alternative take on Rogers sound.

I have to say I never felt Mac got a very good sound comparied to Roy Thomas Baker, but David Richards did a lot better I think.

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
Great King Sam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 65 posts

Posted: 06 Mar 06, 08:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

News Of The World... timbales all the way (I'm sure there's a few others who may agree). That's one of Roger's best kits IMO.

And I know a few people dislike the Jazz sound (I'm not one of them), I think his drum work on this was awesome. Although, they do sound a little dry, having a full drum sound against the production of the other instruments would have sounded a touch weird.

i'll think of a signature later...
Daniel vZ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 793 posts

Posted: 06 Mar 06, 08:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like the more natural sound, so I like the drums the most at "A Day At The Races" and "The Game", and I think the drums are the worst on "Jazz"

"If there's a God or any kind of justice under the sky

If there's a point, if there's a reason to live or die".

Al TurHao user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 168 posts

Posted: 06 Mar 06, 10:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Are we discussing Roger's playing or the drum sounds??

Roger's Playing: Queen, Queen II, Sheer Heart Attack.

Drum Sound: SHA, ANATO.

Oh, and for the record, best bass album, without a doubt: ADATR.

Being a Scolar when it comes to Queen...
Jazz 78 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 502 posts

Posted: 06 Mar 06, 10:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Playing wise? Tough one but I prefer Queen II. Soundwise? It's a toss up between Queen II and NOTW. Big sound on the kit. Innuendo sounded great too!

lozitopj user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 134 posts

Posted: 06 Mar 06, 13:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Roger's best drum sound was from The Game. Being a drummer, I love the crisp sound of his drums, especially on AOBTD...Definitely produced very well...Cheers!!!

« Jay » user not visiting Queenzone.com
« Jay »
Bohemian: 843 posts

Posted: 06 Mar 06, 13:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

News of The World for sure. Just listen to sogs like It's Late and Fight From The Inside to hear why. Tight and strong that's how I would describe the sound. :-)

RoHo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 36 posts

Posted: 06 Mar 06, 13:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I tend to like the early "big" drum sound of Roger, this means Queen I Queen II and Sheer Heart Attack. And I like the drums on a few songs on The Miracle.

By the way I have to mension that I'm very dissapointed with the drum sound of live Queen albums, all four albums have a quite weak drum sound. the snare and cymbals are quite okay but the bass and the toms are simply weak. (maybe The Return Of The Champions is not that bad, but compare it to other artist's live material!)

"Roger Taylor playing 'We Are The Champions' with Queen... I remember all this sweat flying off his hair-he was so visual, the ultimate in cool and collected. He was rock'n'roll." T. Hawkins
RETROLOVE user not visiting Queenzone.com
RETROLOVE
Deity: 2522 posts

Posted: 06 Mar 06, 14:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, I forgot about "get down make love", thats another good one! LOL!

Loving the pass, cherishing the present, and looking forward to the future

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 06 Mar 06, 15:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sheer Heart Attack and/or A Night At The Opera.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Asterik user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 649 posts

Posted: 06 Mar 06, 15:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well I hate the drum sound on all mack's albums, including The Game- they sound truly awful on Dragon Attack and Play the Game- flat and dry as pancakes. I like News Of the World and innuendo- lots of power.

hj
cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3040 posts

Posted: 06 Mar 06, 15:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Soundwise, The Works (and the Works tour) drums are awful, and to be honest the album is not Roger's most imaginative playing.

Soundwise again, but on the good side, The Miracle, Innuendo and Made In Heaven sound great (especially Too much Love will Kill You.

A Day At The Races has some superb playing - can't believe no-one has mentioned White Man yet! - and a magnificent sound for the 70's (compare to something like Abba from the same year and you'll see what I mean!). News of The World also is pretty hot, with good sound, and such variation in playing styles through All Dead, All Dead, It's Late, Who Needs You etc...

the drums on Lost Opportunity (single b side)also show Roger's skill and subtlety in blues style playing.

Finally, his playing on his solo version (not The Cross one) of Final Destination is superb, and such a shame to have it hidden away on a single b-side.

cmsdrums

RoHo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 36 posts

Posted: 06 Mar 06, 16:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I forgot to mension Rogers solo work.
If you have it listen to "Stange frontier extended"
It starts with a very nice drumwork, its my favourite!

"Roger Taylor playing 'We Are The Champions' with Queen... I remember all this sweat flying off his hair-he was so visual, the ultimate in cool and collected. He was rock'n'roll." T. Hawkins
pigs in space user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 9 posts

Posted: 06 Mar 06, 16:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Finally, his playing on his solo version (not The Cross one) of Final Destination is superb, and such a shame to have it hidden away on a single b-side."

Sorry matey , that drumming ain't Roger . Its that Yoshiki bloke/women .
dam good drumming it is too !

I like the drumming on the 12" of strange frontier single . nice bass drum work

or is it lost ..
cmsdrums user not visiting Queenzone.com
cmsdrums
Deity: 3040 posts

Posted: 06 Mar 06, 16:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Although Yoshiki (bloke!) plays drums on 'Foreign Sand', the drums are definitely Roger on 'Final Destination'.

The sound of him opening his hi-hat on the snare during the verses gives it away, and generally the playing carries his usual trademarks - finally the clincher is when you check out the credits on the CD single sleeve, where it says; "Roger Taylor: vocals, drums on Final Destination" !!!