Forums > Personal > David Gilmour: On An Island

forum rss feed
Author

Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Mar 06, 23:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So, is anyone else REALLY excited about this album? I've heard a couple of tracks from it, and they are WONDERFUL.

The title track features David Crosby and Graham Nash on harmony vocals, and is so very beautiful. I for one will be buying it tomorrow, how about the rest of you? Anyone else a big Gilmour fan?


"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Munchsack user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1770 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Mar 06, 08:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote


Haven't heard any tracks, but I intend to get it.


This can't end well.
Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Mar 06, 08:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm actually a Waters-fan...
But I heard some parts of the album that I found more interesting then I expected.
I intend to listen to it in full one of these days... Hope I can handle it... Normally I cannot bear to listen to his voice for more then 15 minutes without getting bored ;-)

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Mar 06, 10:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I heard a couple of the new tracks on Sirius. This week they're playing all Floyd/Gilmour tracks on one of the channels.

It sounds great indeed. Gilmour is my favorite Floyd member, and I think the guy is indeed a genius.


[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Haystacks Calhoun user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1550 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Mar 06, 11:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You can find the video to On An Island at www.vh1.com


It is good, if you go to David Gilmours site, he has one minute clips of all the songs there as well.

I've had the CD since Friday, the way I see it is that this is the closest to Pink Floyd as we will ever get.

It is far and away better than his first two solo records, and dare I say as good as, if not better, than the last two Floyd studio records.

The production is far and away superior, and while there is only one real rocker on the disc, it is one that gets better and better the more you listen to it.

I guess it is Pink Floyd for old people, what you would expect from a 60 year old dude.


"Not a fan of the ladies, are you Trebek?"



Sean Connery
inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Mar 06, 11:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Haystacks Calhoun wrote:


I've had the CD since Friday, the way I see it is that this is the closest to Pink Floyd as we will ever get.


True, especially considering that Richard Wright features on a couple tracks himself, and Bob Klose, an early PF guitarist, also guests on the album.


Btw. did any of you guys hear that Roger and Nick will be performing the Dark Side of the Moon album live in France this summer??
Wish I could go...

Mr Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury
Deity: 4632 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Mar 06, 13:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You can get video downloads here http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/


"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Mar 06, 14:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

" the way I see it is that this is the closest to Pink Floyd as we will ever get. "

That is a most unfortunately true statement :(
The fact is, those guys were magical at Live 8, I wish they'd just freaking get along and make some more music together.


"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Mar 06, 14:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Haystacks Calhoun wrote:

It is far and away better than his first two solo records, and dare I say as good as, if not better, than the last two Floyd studio records.
QUOTE]



I don't think that is too difficult! ;-)

Since Waters left... ;-)

Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Mar 06, 14:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

"
That is a most unfortunately true statement :(
The fact is, those guys were magical at Live 8, I wish they'd just freaking get along and make some more music together.




Just wait till september! :-D

iron eagle user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3793 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Mar 06, 14:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

title track with words to the tour is just fab!


i got a way with the boys on my block.. :-)

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Mar 06, 17:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm one of the very few who actually enjoys 'Momentary Lapse Of Reason' and 'The Division Bell' as much as much as any other Floyd album before 'The Wall'.

Both albums are very underated.


[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Haystacks Calhoun user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1550 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Mar 06, 17:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They both have 2 or 3 good songs on them.

The Division Bell songs stand up well to a good listen now, the Momentary Lapse stuff sounds really, really dated. That said, that is not the fault of the material, but the shitty 80's production.


"Not a fan of the ladies, are you Trebek?"



Sean Connery
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Mar 06, 18:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't think the albums were over-produced at all. Sure, there's a couple of weak tracks but for the most part I think they were superb.

I have to agree though that 'The Division Bell' is indeed a stronger album.


[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Haystacks Calhoun user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1550 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Mar 06, 18:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They weren't over produced, that is not at all what I am saying.

The 70's music of most good rock artists, the sound, the production stands the test of time.

Most 80's stuff does not stand up well to time in terms of sound. Take The Works, take Hysteria, take Momentary Lapse, take And Justice for All, the list goes on, the stuff all sounds dated. Simply terrible production.


The Division Bell was well produced, and is a far superior album, though I listened the hell out of Momentary Lapse on vynil back in the days of Junior High. Sounded great then, not so much now.



"Not a fan of the ladies, are you Trebek?"



Sean Connery
Mr Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam who?????
Mr Mercury
Deity: 4632 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Mar 06, 18:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jeroen wrote:

Zebonka12 wrote:

"
That is a most unfortunately true statement :(
The fact is, those guys were magical at Live 8, I wish they'd just freaking get along and make some more music together.




Just wait till september! :-D


Unfortunately David Gilmour said in an interview with the Sun that he saw Pink Floyd's performance on Live 8 as "closure". So there will be no more Floyd.


"Normally i can't dance to save my life.

But as soon as I step in dog shit, I can moonwalk better than Michael Jackson."
Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Mar 06, 05:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr Mercury wrote:

jeroen wrote:

Zebonka12 wrote:

"
That is a most unfortunately true statement :(
The fact is, those guys were magical at Live 8, I wish they'd just freaking get along and make some more music together.




Just wait till september! :-D


Unfortunately David Gilmour said in an interview with the Sun that he saw Pink Floyd's performance on Live 8 as "closure". So there will be no more Floyd.

I know!
But remember they said the exact same thing about appearing at Live 8!
Of course Floyd is 'not' reuniting in September - nobody would come and see the long-before planned current solotours of Gilmour and Waters anymore! :-)

We'll see! :-P

inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Mar 06, 11:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles wrote:

I'm one of the very few who actually enjoys 'Momentary Lapse Of Reason' and 'The Division Bell' as much as much as any other Floyd album before 'The Wall'.

Both albums are very underated.


Ditto.

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2393 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Mar 06, 12:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Haystacks Calhoun wrote:

They weren't over produced, that is not at all what I am saying.

The 70's music of most good rock artists, the sound, the production stands the test of time.

Most 80's stuff does not stand up well to time in terms of sound. Take The Works, take Hysteria, take Momentary Lapse, take And Justice for All, the list goes on, the stuff all sounds dated. Simply terrible production.


The Division Bell was well produced, and is a far superior album, though I listened the hell out of Momentary Lapse on vynil back in the days of Junior High. Sounded great then, not so much now.



Just bought the album and can't wait to listen to it I have been wiating for this for some time.

It's true what you say aboout the 80's production, it's a strange thing considering the technology had moved on considerably since the early 70's, but a lot of the albums of that time do sound very dated, I think in fact it was down to the over reliance on technology which created this issue, by the 90's bands were recording using older valve amps and less solid state desks which brought back that live feel, now we have the luxury of digital modelling which can sound fantastic if used sparingly, but again albums can run the risk of sounding too processed.

The up side is we can all now produce very high spec home recording, some would say even better than studio recordings done in the 70's -80's.

I am currently looking at buying Pro tools for home use, which is a million miles away from the old tape demos I used to make in the 80's

I was in a studio the other day and so much eqipment had changed since I was last in that studio, because digital equipment is comparitively cheap compared to times past, it had only been a couple of years since I had last worked in there!

How times change.


"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Mar 06, 12:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I want to get the new album, I really do, until I saw this:

Haystacks Calhoun wrote:

there is only one real rocker on the disc...
...I guess it is Pink Floyd for old people, what you would expect from a 60 year old dude.



I'm getting tired of some of the lackluster efforts as of late by the old regime. Please, please don't let this CD get added to the pile:

WHEN THEY SHOULD HAVE STOPPED
Yes - Magnification
Santana - Supernatural 2 (or whatever he calls it)
Genesis - Invisible Touch
Rod Stewart - It Had to be you
Jethro Tull - J-tull.com
Styx - Kilroy Was Here